Adding more memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi all, I have a triple channel 3 x 2 6GB set of Corsair Dominator memory (CMP6GX3A1600C8). I want to add more but I'm not sure if I'm restricted to only another set of 6 with the same timings or can I add 2x4 or 3x4 or 1 x 8.

I don't know what is the cautions I should take in adding memory. Is it only the timings and make that matter for compatibility.

Thanks all

Solution
Nope, you aren't wrong...but you can relax the timing that little bit on your original ram and match the new set...

It's a lot easier to relax the timings a little bit than it is to tighten the timings...with that said...you CAN attempt it both ways and see what results you will get.

The old ram has no problem running at the tighter default timings and the new ram may not either, it could just sit up and percolate right along...then you would have matching ram.

But there's no way to tell which will work best...depends on a lot of different things...motherboard instruction sets...ram instruction sets....cpu and IMC or Integrated Memory Controller...etc...

As I said..it's usually a lot easier to relax the old ram's timing to 9 9 9 24...
G

what motherboard you have will help. some are finicky . . . for no known reason. though you will need to look at sets of 3 such as 3x2, 3x4 . . same timings.

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
you can run any ram that will work with your memory controller and cpu...with that said a few guidelines...you really should run "triple channel" memory as your motherboard chipset is configured to work best with "triple Channel". with that said and since you are already using 1600MHz ram...and the bios is configured to work with that...I would stick with that speed and look for compatible timings that work with what you already have...

Check this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145295

but for $20 more!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145321

both match your timings and speed and manufacturer...both are 1.65V ram...just snap it in the slots and away you go...the bios should automatically configure and add the new ram and set the timings to match what you already have via the SPD..serial prescence detect...the hard-coded info on the ram chip itself.

Easiest upgrade you could do and although a bit pricey...guarantees NO upgrading mismatch issues...you "could" always get a bad stick or something but not really likely!

Hope that helps a bit

Good Luck:)

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Nope, you aren't wrong...but you can relax the timing that little bit on your original ram and match the new set...

It's a lot easier to relax the timings a little bit than it is to tighten the timings...with that said...you CAN attempt it both ways and see what results you will get.

The old ram has no problem running at the tighter default timings and the new ram may not either, it could just sit up and percolate right along...then you would have matching ram.

But there's no way to tell which will work best...depends on a lot of different things...motherboard instruction sets...ram instruction sets....cpu and IMC or Integrated Memory Controller...etc...

As I said..it's usually a lot easier to relax the old ram's timing to 9 9 9 24 than to set the new ram to tighter timings of 8 8 8 24.

You can try it both ways and if you are able to get the new ram to run at tighter timings of 8 8 8 24 then I would...just remember that you will be considered to have "overclocked" your new ram where as if you relax the timings on the original set to 9 9 9 24..you would be considered to have "underclocked" your ram...not really overclocking or underclocking....instead just relaxing or tightening the timing.

No other issues should arise and your motherboards bios instruction sets may be able to perform this trick automatically...by automatically setting "both sets" "new and old" to a timing level that works for both.

I personally prefer to set my own timings and to try both tighter AND looser timings to see what buys me the most performance...especially when I'm overclocking my cpu!

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks for all your time and advise tekman. I'm not sure I know how to "relax " the timings on the old ram. I have increased and decreased the frequencys on the mother board to accomodate my over clock but timings are a new ball park for me.
I will do some research and read and let you know how it all works out.
thanks again buddy

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
to relax the ram timings...means to go into your dimms/ram/memory set up in the bios and change the timings from 8 8 8 24 to 9 9 9 24. Depending on your motherboard model...you should be able to search youtube or google and find a video of adjusting the memory timings for your motherboard bios!

It's fairly simple...and you should have no problem relaxing the timings...ie setting them to 9 9 9 24...IF your motherboard allows for it! Most do these days so good luck and let us know how it went.

IF you post your motherboard info...we could be able to direct you as to how to set the timings if your bios allows it!

Good Luck:)

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

My computer configuration is listed under my name and Icon. i have an asrock x58 extreme motherboard. I haven't purchased the ram yet. I'm hoping it goes on sale or special soon. I check every day.
I surmise that 6 GB of relaxed 888,24 to 999,24 with the 12 GB set of 999,24 (Total 18GB) is better than 2 sets of 6GB @ 888,24 total 12 GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.