Sign in with
Your question

Advice on new gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
June 13, 2011 8:09:38 PM

Hi

I'm planning to buy a new PC to be used for gaming, whilst not spending too much. Can anyone give this build a quick once over and see whether they can suggest any improvements?

I am looking for tweaks such as: downgrades which will provide a significant saving without affecting performance or longevity of the system too much; upgrades that won't add much to the price but will provide a significant increase in performance or longevity; any other advice. I should say that I'm planning to have it built rather than building myself and planning to buy from Cougar-Extreme.

Overall, I'd like to reduce the price but will consider small upgrades if they represent good/excellent value for money.

I've pasted the spec below - I'd be grateful to hear what you guys think.

Cheers

INTEL CORE I5 2500k - 3.30GHz - 6MB

ASUS P8P67 PRO REV3, P67(B3 - 4 x D

1000Gb SATA Hard Drive

1024MB GTX 560 Ti PCI Express Nvidia

4GB DDR3 Kingston 1333

Elite 330 Black Midi Case + Window No P

Powercool 650W High Efficiency Black P

22 inch Cougar Extreme Wide Screen TF

105 UK STANDARD KEYBOARD

Optical mouse

Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit

DVD+/- RW - 22X Samsung SATA

Integrated Sound Card

More about : advice gaming

June 13, 2011 8:28:29 PM

can u post a link to that psu
u should change your motherboard to an asrock p67 extreme4 it has all the same features for less
June 13, 2011 8:38:40 PM

mjmjpfaff said:
can u post a link to that psu
u should change your motherboard to an asrock p67 extreme4 it has all the same features for less

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I can provide a specific link to the PSU. It is one of the choices on this page.

http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/computer_systems/500S_n...

Related resources
June 13, 2011 8:41:30 PM

you should really buy the parts on your own and have someone put it together for you it will be cheaper
June 13, 2011 8:44:56 PM

Or put it together yourself. I'd really stay away from those sites that offer custom build gaming computers cause they usually increase their profits by using off brand stuff. And some of them have pretty crappy support
a c 237 4 Gaming
June 13, 2011 8:51:58 PM

-I'd look for a better PSU and have to say I'm wary of the monitor.

-DDR3-1600 shouldn't be more than $2-3 more.

-Consider the newer Z68 version of the MoBo .... usually runs about $10 more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

-I'll differ w/ the poster above ..... most often ya get what ya pay for. Since ASrock only offers a 1 year warranty on the Z68 (2 years on the B3 boards), not the industry standard 3 year warranty offered by Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, etc., I wouldn't put ASrock on my acceptable list.

-I'd opt for a 900 MHz version of the 560 Ti w/ the bigger coolers as they usually the same price as the reference versions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

June 13, 2011 9:12:54 PM

With regards to not using sites such as this to save money and due to bad support, I have managed to negotiate a substantial discount with one of their sales team and I have researched the company and found nothing but positive reviews, so I am not too concerned about ordering from them.

As for the advice on specific parts, I may be limited to the parts listed in the link above, so I may not have the choice of some of these if I do order from this company.

But perhaps it's a good idea to upgrade the RAM, as you say, and buy it without the monitor and purchase one separately.
June 13, 2011 9:16:01 PM

But perhaps it's a good idea to upgrade the RAM, as you say, and buy it without the monitor and purchase one separately.
!