Games (and Windows) keep crashing after installing a new graphics card

Jackofspades0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Hi,

I just installed a new Club3D HD5670 1GB DDR3 graphics card on a computer, but now games keep on crashing after a few minutes of play. The driver version appears to be 8.801.0.0 for the graphics card. Windows also gives me this other error where the screen turns blue and there's some text on the screen. After that the computer reboots before I can read the text.

The rest of the computer:
Windows 7 Home Basic 32bit
AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz
2 GB DDR2-800 RAM
250GB Seagate HDD

Please help me fix this problem.

Thanks.

Download and save the latest drivers for your video card from the AMD.com web site.

Uninstall your current ATI drivers by going through

control panel -> programs -> uninstall a program

Double-click the AMD (or maybe ATI?) Catalyst

Choose the 'Express Uninstall' option.

Reboot when prompted. Your fonts will be large and your resolution low after the reboot. Do not be alarmed.

Install the new drivers. If you still have issues, chances are you got a bad 5670 card. Did you have another card in your system prior to getting the 5670 that worked fine?

Jackofspades0

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Only the GPU that came with the motherboard. Everything worked fine with that GPU but games were unplayable due to lag. I think I'm going to get a PC tech to take a look at the PC today. I'm afraid it might get damaged from restarting all the time.

When you put the old GPU back in does it work fine?

If so, what kind of PSU do you have? If the old GPU works and you have sufficient power, you should exchange your video card for a new one.