E6750 cpu upgrade advice

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Hi all, i'd appreciate some advice in me upgrading my pc.
I have
E6750 @ 3.6
titan fenrir cooler
Gigabyte p35 ds3 mobo
Corsair tx650 psu
4gb ocz 1066 at 4-4-4-12
gigabyte gtx460 1gb

The question is, with even newer intel cpu's round the corner, and the still expensive job of whole platform upgrade, is it worth me getting a nice q8400 and clocking it, or biting bullet and spending money not really happy to spend at moment .
I play witcher 2, duex ex at 1680x1050 with most on high and few medium, and very happy, but would like to spend £150 to give a nice boost to pc performance.
Been pordering over last few weeks and cant decide if its money well spent and wait a year tilll new tech and prices of 2500k upgrade become more affordable.
I appreciate any advice you could give me, as i cant decide, lol.
thank you

digitalsi

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Well that is a very similar spec to the PC I had a month ago, just swap a Radeon HD 4890 for that Geforce and don't overclock it and it is what I had.

I looked at getting a Core2Quad to slot in, but they are not cheap even though (or perhaps because) they are quite old now and they are no quicker than the 6750, just quad core.

In the end I bought an i5 2500k (which runs at 4.3Ghz with no extra voltage & standard cooling), 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 and Gigabyte Z68A mobo. Obviously the graphics card is now the bottleneck, but that can wait till next year. This upgrade was ~£300, but was well worth the extra. I for one am glad I went down this route so I suggest you hold on until you can afford a Sandy Bridge or later gen CPU.

Hope this helps,

Si.

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
i think your right, better to wait till after xmas and change to 2500k.
thanks appreciate you knocking some common sense into me, lol. :)

It really comes down to the money. With a new system based off the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K you would have about the best gaming processor on the market today and with that would come the ability to upgrade within future Socket 1155 processors that may be supported on that board. To reach that point you would need to have new RAM along with a new motherboard to go with that processor. This would give you a system that could give you high end performance for years.

On the other hand you could look into how much you could pick up a processor like the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 or Q9550and try to overclock it. That most likely would give you the best performance out of your current system but any money you invested on this build wouldn’t have a lot of future to it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team