What UPS to buy (750W to 900W)?

martinduque86

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hello everyone!

Quick question here: what UPS should I buy to power my new 750W psu rig (not including monitor and peripherals)?

Including monitor(s) and peripherals I calculated my rig will consume about 900W power (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't need an UPS that could withstand half an hour after power goes out; 30 seconds would be more than enough. I don't really want to pay more than $ 100-ish. :/

Thanks in advance, I really don't have a clue when it comes to power protection.

EDIT: if there's no good UPS choices for my requirements I would be happy to buy a good AVR instead. Any recommendations?

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hey Martin.

OK so here it goes with regards to timing you will not be able to guarantee anything there you see the thing is with a ups if you are drawing to much current from the device, the device will not even power the system so you will need to make sure you UPS is higher then you maximum draw. At 100 dollars you might battle to find the right UPS as UPS's are like power supplies some do not output the current as advertised by them, very scaly i know, the only brand i would bank on is APC as they are renowned for there UPS technology you could probably settle with a 1000VA UPS, this will be cutting it tight but as far as i know APC can guarantee there max power output. Head onto there website and take a look around as far as i know with regards to voltage and currents 1000VA is roughly an output power figure of around 1000 Watts. you will get a run down time of about 25 minutes at 1000VA with your amount of draw. I know APC does sell a hoe model 1000VA it white with 4 power outputs at just over 100 dollars so you should be able to take a look at that, i will look for the exact model in the intern.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Your computer on average will only be consuming less than 100watts I believe on idle...I have a UPS and a software that tells me its load. I currently have my computer and two monitors plugged into the *battery protection* section and the loads puts it at about 130watts...

Just, because your PSU claims a wattage, doesn't mean it will be pulling it from the wall at a constant rate. It only uses it as much as it needs.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
+1^ black is write it is your systems draw from the PSU that governs your state of concurrent draw, use this tool its a power supply calculator might come out more accurately to what you would draw, please bear in mind this will not be exact as this is running all your components on 100 percent load.

http://www.antec.com/psucalc/

Give it a bash =)

leon2006

Distinguished
My UPS is at least 100% to 120% capacity of my load. That would be my PC plus whatever is connected to it including the monitor.

One of my PC has HX850(850W) PSU and a 24 inch LCD monitor ( ~ 90W). Both are supported by 1000Watts (not VA) UPS. It gives me ~ 20minutes before the battery drains. When i run stress test programs(CPU 100%) battery time ~ 8 minutes.

When the power is cut i need the monitor to be able to shut it down properly. I can't work on a PC w/o a monitor.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Many good UPS's come with software where you can tell it to automatically send a shut-down signal after let say, 5 minutes incase you aren't there with it.

Honestly, a UPS that can't shut-down the computer on its own is useless, because many power flashes or power outages happen when you may not be at home.