Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Do north chipsets on mobos need heatsink+fans?

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Build
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2012 5:48:33 AM

I've been making a build and my friend asked me an interesting question "do the north chipsets need to be cooled down by a separate dedicated heat sink +fan?" (not the main cpu)

I've tried searching online but I've found vague answers. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'd like to make it clear so I don't waste money or burn out his mobo.

It is the Z77 chipset. Link of mobo below. Again, sorry if this is a stupid question guys.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Thanks in advance!

More about : solved north chipsets mobos heatsink fans

a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 6:10:16 AM

No they are not needed.
m
l
a c 489 V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 6:37:18 AM

depends on the case the airflow in the case and if he over clocking the pc. it depend where the chipset is on the motherboard..the type of video card that go in..if the video dumps the air outside the case or straight down onto the mb.
if it a mini case how good is the airflow and how many fans are in the case. if he picks up a gaming case that has a larger grill on top and a push-pull fans..then the chipset should stay cool even with a large video card. people with the chipset getting hot and locking up the pc would be in a small case and sli or cross fire and the video cards dump back into the pc.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 7:31:03 AM

If the north bridge needs to be cooled then the manufacurer sells the mobo with a heatsync already on it. I don't think I have ever seen a mobo with a fan on the north bridge heatsync, but if you did choose to add one it definately wouldn't hurt!
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 7:40:47 AM

not for that motherboard. some older socket 775 motherboards had chipsets, esp nvidia 750s, that would get a little toasty when you had to increase the voltage of the fsb to overclock.

just using a zip tie to attach a small fan would work :) 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 7:43:58 AM

Fan for chipset is good when you overclock your system. OC a little bit dont need fan for chipset, but for high overclocking. Like liquid cooling system has chipset cooler.

If you interested in moderate overclocking, then purchase after market chipset cooler. It will keep your chipset much cooler.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:48:59 AM

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I will forward this to my friend.

This was a big help, thanks again.
m
l
!