Computer died won't boot

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello all. I had a Dell 435MT and decided to do some upgrading. I got new 750 Antec power supply, new Antec 902 case, and new MSI GTX 560ti graphics. I sitched everything over fine and was running great for week. Nice and cool at 30C. I was playing Civ 5 and it died. It has done this a couple times before but I was able to restart. THis time it will not boot up.
HEre are the issues.
1. Power button does not work.
2. Monitor does not register that it is connected to anything
3. I tried old graphics card and same result.
4. Mother board light is on,
5. All fans and drives seem to reciving power just fine.

I guessing at this point the mother board died since the power button on the fonrt isn't doing anything and both grapics are registering, what do the rest of you think.

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
The power button cable may have gotten loose, also that psu can kill it due to to much power the mother board can't do anything with it, then use it as more stress. And if you here any beeps like 4 in a couple times in a row it CAN be a problem, Did you over clock. Did you plug in the 6 PIN cable to the video card from the power supply ;p common mistake. Try the following I just posted.

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

I did not overclock. What do you mean did I plus the six pin into my video card? MY video card requires 2 6pins. And remember it was running fine for a week. I'll try some of the things on the list striker posted. I'll follow up soon.

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Quick update.
I noticed the 24 wasnt all the way in so I tried booting it again after puching it in some and no change. The power button does work after all it seems.
I hear no clicking on power up and I can hear the hard drive being accessed.
I watched the monitor more closely, as soon as I connect it to the back while the PC is on the power light turns blue which means it's turning on but then the message on the screen says entering power saving mode and the light goes back to orange.

I'm going to try and change out the power supply and graphics card see what happens.

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Update#3, I swaped out the power supply and graphics card and got the same results. I checked all the connections and the capasitors on the mobo looked fine.
Normally this is a single beep when my computer starts, from the bios I believe but I'm not getting anything now. I just realized that.
So what do you guys think, bad mobo or CPU?
I have to be sure it's a bad mobo because if it is I'll also need to get a new harddrive and OS. My current Win7 will only work with the dell mobo.

striker410

Distinguished
Did you reset the CMOS sensor? There is probably a battery on the mobo. Find it and pull it out. Go watch some TV and come back like 15 minutes later. Throw the battery back in and see what it does.

BTW, what's the mobo model name?

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

CAn't get the battery out, it is in there good. It's a Dell 435MT mini ATX Mobo dx58m01. When I turn on the power supply I get a solid amber light on D27. I'm trying to serf the net to find out what it is but haven't found anything yet.
I don't think it's a power supply problem because I changed out the power supply and got the same result.
I would like to try the battery trick but I don't want to break it. I read another guy tooks his out so I guess it is possible.

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
When i get off work today I'll go home and remove everything from case.
I heard it was okay to lay the MB on some cardboard. My other option is a glass surface to work on? Which do you guys think is best?

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I heard it was okay to lay the MB on some cardboard. My other option is a glass surface to work on? Which do you guys think is best?

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

striker410

Distinguished
That would be the worst part IMO. Sounds like you are into arsonry? Seriously. Not like he's building on newspaper.

And OP, don't worry about fires. Even if your board does start magically shooting sparks everywhere, I have full confidence you could take care of a measly cardboard box.

addison

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
All cardboard is paper lol. Burn just as well my friend did the same thing his house burnt down crisp by that, Plus cardboard is layers of paper. (from a science report in 4th grade I HATED it).

michaeldk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hey guys, I got it out of the case and all set up with bare minium. No change at first but after resetting the CMOS I started getting 4 beeps when I turned it on again. What does that mean?
Sorry about the 4 post earlier, Tom's harware went down just as I was posting and I guess everytime I reladed the page to see if it was back up it resent the message.

TRENDING THREADS