Sign in with
Your question

**Help**Dramatic Decrease in FPS for WoW---

Last response: in CPUs
September 8, 2011 9:59:55 PM

Hello, I would like to know if my current LOW FPS issues in World of Warcraft are caused by my video card or cpu...or both? These are my specs:
I have a Dell inspiron 530
-Intel Core 2 QUAD CPU Q8200 @2.33 GHz 2.33GHz
-4GB memory Ram
-32 Bit OS
VIDEO CARD
-Radeon Hd 4600

When I first got this pc I ran wow WOTLK at around 90-120 FPS on High Video settings. However 2 years later in cataclysm I have around 20 fps... with all my settings low it max's out at 35fps.
I Cleaned the disc, ran multiple scans to remove anything slowing down my pc. I also cleaned inside of pc with Compressed Air Can...

I have recently also noticed that there is a noise it never made before coming from the inside when I Run WoW... my Fan dying? cpu? video card?

Main question is... is my cpu good enough for wow? is my video card good enough? Do I have to upgrade either or? or buy a new comp?...

Thank you...

a c 141 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 2:06:59 AM

thats horrible! Even my laptop gets better fps on low settings.
run cpuz and see if everything is running at the proper speed. CPU, ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 2:47:06 AM

Many MMORPG upgrade some graphics with major releases and Cataclysm, to my knowledge, was one of them.

Do you know the exact model of your video card? The 4600 series can vary a lot in performance (the higher-end models probably being at least twice as powerful as the lowest-end ones).

You can also check that article.
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2011 2:51:04 AM

If your CPU was good for WoW 2 years ago, and you're playing the same game, there's no reason to think it would be bad now. Try cleaning up the PC (by that I mean getting the dust out.) Or, alternatively, try downloading HWMonitor and check to see if your GPU is over heating or if its your CPU.

If none of these bring back results, try closing background processes that may hinder performance. Browsers, Torrents, Media players, Messenger programs (AIM, MSN, Yahoo), etc. And, if that doesn't bring any results forth, try updating drivers and cleaning out your system with Disk Cleanup. Disktrix has a great software for defragging hard drives, you may want to look into it.
m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 3:04:50 AM

Although I do agree that you could destroy that Dell in less than two years (a descent time frame for a disposable computer like a Dell), I seriously doubt you were getting 90-120 FPS on High Video settings with the HD 4600 at any respectable resolution to begin with.

Regardless, I'm not surprised that you are getting such low FPS today with a 2.3GHZ C2Q and an HD 4600 on such a poorly optimized game. With every patch, WoW has become more and more demanding, especially for a high CPU clock, but also for graphics.

I suggest either donating that computer to charity or choosing to play a different game.
m
l
September 9, 2011 3:10:36 AM

Cataclysm had some graphical increases but not that extreme. Also Blizzard prides themselves in making games that everyone can enjoy on average hardware so I assume you should not have to worry about yours being inferior for even the low setting. The bearing on a fan may be lose. It would make more sense if it was the CPU because the CPU would be under stress in the game, the fan on the heat sink would try to spin up but the bearing is off so it cannot reach the desire speed and the CPU would step down if it thinks its in danger of overheating.

I would try running Furmark or another benchmarking utility for just the GPU and see if anything seems out of what or if the noise starts up.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/FurMark-1.8.2-download-2523...

Then do the same for your CPU with Folding Stress Test
http://www.gromacs.org/@api/deki/files/43/=stresscpu2.t...

If neither of these cause the noise or weird performance issues, then it could be your power supply but I would expect you to get blue screens if that was the case. Next would be running msconfig and disabling everything on startup and all non windows services and scan for malware as well as a 100% fresh install of WoW using their new Cata downloaded from Battle.net to try and eliminate a software issue or conflict. New video card drivers are released every month from AMD so you can try that too.

If none of that helps then I am at a loss.
m
l
September 9, 2011 3:59:44 AM

Thank you for everyone's Input.

I did the Furmark Stress test and the noise def started up...So now I know its def the Graphics card.

The test showed temperatures above 100Celcius max fps 29 and stuck around 12 fps... Is the card just failing? It's not supposed to be that bad from what I remember.

As for the CPU test...I am not quite sure how to read it...It just keeps on going with " Tested *insert number here* FP operations".

I did clean out the dust and have updated the drivers and the problem isn't changed. Ive never gotten a blue screen either so I'm willing to count out the power supply.

Before my last resort ( system restore cd's ) should I get a new video card? The thing is...IF I buy a new "awesome" graphics card, will my CPU back it up? I am not sure how strong it really is and have no idea how to even start understanding what is capable of what. I did read the FULL article on Graphics/cpu on wow. But I still wouldn't know about my cpu's results with a brand new card.

Thanks!

m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 4:25:07 AM

Your fan is failing on you Gfx - and the board slows down trying not to overheat - that could be the reason - and as Dasper writes above Cataclysm - have been getting some overhaul in the Engine - both Gfx and CPU - but be sure that your computer is getting enough airflow - cold air in and warm air out - it won´t help trying to cool a hot Gfx with hot air
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 10:11:06 AM

I used to run WoW on an Acer laptop with an AMD 3650 GPU, and it was fine until Cata came along (one of the reasons that prompted me to upgrade to my current system, as it happens). I'm surprised that a 4xxx card struggles, but as has been said in this thread, the capability of the range varies.

I don't think you need to spend a lot to get a top-end GPU if it's only WoW you want to play. Have a look at the AMD 5xxx or even the lower end 6xxx series cards, and check out Nvidia as well. I wouldn't think the upgrade would be extortionate, and I doubt there would be a bottlenecking issue either.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 10:55:18 AM

diellur said:
I used to run WoW on an Acer laptop with an AMD 3650 GPU, and it was fine until Cata came along (one of the reasons that prompted me to upgrade to my current system, as it happens). I'm surprised that a 4xxx card struggles, but as has been said in this thread, the capability of the range varies.
I'd like to point out that the graphic card generation isn't as relevant to performance as people think; a 3650 would perform about the same as a 4650, the last few digits of the model number is often more significant than the first one.
m
l
September 9, 2011 10:59:00 AM

have you check you internet speed i was having this with my i5 760 @4 and a 6870.....
m
l
September 9, 2011 4:03:32 PM

darkdrizzy said:
I found this program that Analyses the Computer to check if it meets recquirments to play Wow: Cata:

I passed on all cases...So My Video card fan is failing then?

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.asp...

Like I said...When I first got the pc it worked fine above 80 fps... :( ((

Glad to hear you deduced what the problem is but sorry to hear that you will most likely need to replace your graphics card. I had a similar thing happen with a card from HIS. The big question is what do you use your machine for and what other games do you play and what is your monitors native resolution? For straight up gaming you get much better price/performance with an ati/amd card at most price points but they are significantly lacking if you plan on folding or offloading work to your GPU. I would refer to this article fist to determine your price point for video cards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

For the vast majority of games out there your CPU will be more than enough to handle all the current games but I would venture to say that next year will offer some great chips and some great prices for an affordable upgrade path. Rule of thumb I use when buying upgrades for my machine is I do not spend more than I would be willing to pay every 18-24 months for that component. No matter how stellar that CPU/GPU/SSD is now, the bragging rights will be deprecated two years down the line and there will always be something faster with more features to tempt you. Also, thinking you will spend extra now to have a system last twice as long only works if 1- none of the hardware fails and 2- you do not take power consumption into the equitation.
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 9, 2011 4:34:59 PM

Dasper has had a couple of very good posts on figuring this out.
As for buying a graphics card, if you think you may replace or upgrade your entire system, don't worry if the card you get is bottlenecked by what you have now; you'll just move it into the new system later.
Something like a HD6670 will not be too expensive ($90 for a GDDR5 version) and will outperform what you have now. You won't need to replace your PSU. If your Dell PSU already has a PCIE power cable, I would suggest a HD6770 instead (about $120), but if your PSU doesn't have that cable, I would not suggest using an adapter unless it is at least 350W. Dell PSUs aren't junk (yours may even be 80+), but they are the minimum for the delivered system.
m
l
September 9, 2011 5:13:13 PM

Good points. I think the main reason why I lost so much fps is the NEW monitor I bought that I totally forgot to put into equation. It auto adjusted to 1920-1080...So this is probably the MAIN reason why my dps dropped so drastically. I switched the resolution in WoW and my fps jumped up to 65fps...But It's smaller and doesn't look as great. I still need a new video card! I like the fact that I can just buy a solid Graphics card and put it into a new cpu when/if I switch pc's.

So these are the two cards I am thinking about:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870:
http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Expres...

OR

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-External-Mini-H...

What do you think?
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 9, 2011 8:16:06 PM

The HD6870 is stronger, but Blizzard games favor nVidia, so you may want to stick to the GTX460 if your focus is on WoW.
Just noticed that both of your links go to the same HD6870.
For the same price, a GTX560 (non-ti) might be even better. For less, a GTX550ti might be decent.
Don't forget to consider your PSU. The stock Dell probably cannot handle any of these cards.
m
l
September 10, 2011 2:26:48 AM

How can I find out what psu I got atm? and What do I need to support it? 500/600?
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2011 3:17:26 AM

A quality 500W PSU would be sufficient. Your PSU should have a label on the side of it listing the various voltage rails and amperages for each one; it may also have an 80+ logo on it (hopefully it does).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 10, 2011 1:56:44 PM

Clear your cache from time to time if there are any in game issues. I play wow every day so I know a few things compared to a lot here ;) 

As for the card go for it and go ahead and upgrade. A very good card can handle more than one client so multy boxing if you have more than one account can really spice things up in game ;) 
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 10, 2011 3:34:32 PM

The smaller of the two will be sufficient, unless you plan to run multiple graphics cards in the future.
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:13:57 PM

I made my final decision and am going to completely re build my PC using this guide http://www.mysuperpc.com/
Please provide any knowledge or input you have about these options, thank you!

CASE: Rosewill Challenger --> http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-CHALLENGER-Computer-Fans...

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750-Watt Power Supply http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001QZMBEQ/mysup...

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz--- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004EBUXHQ/qid=1...

Ram---I currently have 4gb or Ram which I'm assuming is plenty. No replacement here.

MotherBoard--
Any good motherboard suggestions? I read some reviews about this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004P3X4VU/qid=1... but they weren't great. If you have any knowledge about MOBO's please put your input!

Here are some I am currently looking at:
z68-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
p67-- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR
Top end z68--- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Top End --- Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P ??

What is the main difference and is it worth the price? Or should I stick with the first 2 options?

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB DDR5 $170 pretty amazing price. But anyone know if this has any Noise issues?

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm SATA 300 MB/s

DvD/CD: Sony 24x SATA DVD RW/CDRW (Black)

Sound Card: I really don't want to spend any extrra $$$. So probably a good MOBO will provide a good one.

In Conclusion I really need advice on a MOBO to go along with the rest of the products I want to purchase.

I sincerely appreciate your advice, thank you!
m
l
a c 84 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 11, 2011 3:01:31 AM

That i5 2500K and GTX 460 will be quite powerful. The only bottleneck will be the poor coding in WoW, so don't be irate if your FPS dips sometimes, it's just the nature of the beast.
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2011 12:42:11 PM

That goes to the same one I linked.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 11, 2011 2:46:48 PM

Your old RAM will be DDR2 (I think) so you will need to get new DDR3 RAM.
m
l
September 13, 2011 12:28:16 AM

Can I use my current Windows Reinstall CD for me new pc? Or Do I have to purchase a brand new one?
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 13, 2011 9:48:17 AM

Your Dell OEM disk probably will not work on a new motherboard.
m
l
September 18, 2011 5:23:12 PM

Onus said:
If I were building an Intel system, I think I'd probably get this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It has a PLX chip so it can use all of its ports and slots.

Is there a big difference between the z68 u linked and

Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3 DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W785F4/ref=ox_sc_a...

I'm not really concerned about the price but why pay for more? Just curious as to why the huge difference in price tags. I still can't manage to be 100% sure which MoBo to get... I've been looking for over a week now.
m
l
a c 123 à CPUs
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 18, 2011 6:58:54 PM

Well, the ASRock board would be better for multiple GPUs if you ever went that way, since it does x8,x8 rather than x16,x4. It also has SRT, to use a small SSD to cache a HDD. I could not tell from the Gigabyte description, but you might have to give up some ports or slots when others are in use. The ASRock appears to have considerably more power phases, although if you aren't planning a high overclock it may not matter much.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 21, 2011 5:07:36 PM

damric said:
That i5 2500K and GTX 460 will be quite powerful. The only bottleneck will be the poor coding in WoW, so don't be irate if your FPS dips sometimes, it's just the nature of the beast.

If you want to see some bad coding then go play on a private server like wowbeez. Broken scripts, professions stacking, horde with alliance mounts lol, unstable FL (fire lands) with constant DC, nerfs and more nerfs, donator noobs hitting like 300k each hit ect. Then there is the boss hits like 1246734783478437834 so there is a damage cap like 5% :lol: 
m
l
September 22, 2011 9:00:02 AM

Here's my choice for mobo as you asked, and RAM because you need it!

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68
Ram: G-Skill 2133

The mobo because you haven't listed very specific requirements and Gigabyte boards are in my experience are very easy to overclock. With the I5 2500K I'm assuming you want to overclock a bit.

You might want a CPU cooler as well so be careful picking your case and cooler. Some of the coolers are absolutely gigantic.

Just about any mobo will provide you with adequate sound so I wouldn't worry there. Do you have any specific needs like extra expansion slots, SLI support etc?

Anyone complaining of 'poor coding' in WoW is obviously not a programmer themselves. WoW is very CPU intensive for several reasons and the I5 will certainly help you. Your graphics card choice is good for the price but won't let you push max settings at higher resolutions.

I would consider a 2gb DX11 capable card for future proofing.
m
l
September 23, 2011 5:02:35 AM

Daeus said:
Here's my choice for mobo as you asked, and RAM because you need it!

Mobo: Gigabyte Z68
Ram: G-Skill 2133

The mobo because you haven't listed very specific requirements and Gigabyte boards are in my experience are very easy to overclock. With the I5 2500K I'm assuming you want to overclock a bit.

You might want a CPU cooler as well so be careful picking your case and cooler. Some of the coolers are absolutely gigantic.

Just about any mobo will provide you with adequate sound so I wouldn't worry there. Do you have any specific needs like extra expansion slots, SLI support etc?

Anyone complaining of 'poor coding' in WoW is obviously not a programmer themselves. WoW is very CPU intensive for several reasons and the I5 will certainly help you. Your graphics card choice is good for the price but won't let you push max settings at higher resolutions.

I would consider a 2gb DX11 capable card for future proofing.

What graphics card do you recommend ?
m
l
September 23, 2011 6:44:46 AM

darkdrizzy said:
What graphics card do you recommend ?

Your choice of the GTX460 is adequate for WoW depending on your choice of resolution. For smooth frame rates, especially in heavily populated zones, at 1920x1080 you may have to drop some settings such as textures and draw distances due to only having 1gb memory on the card.

WoW also makes extensive use of shaders and any card with more shader cores will perform better but more shader cores means more expensive cards. This depends entirely on your budget.

I am assuming you want to stay with Nvidia... If you want a faster card I recommend a 560 Ti 2gb. Moving to anything slower than a 560Ti is a bit of a waste. The 2gb memory and full DX11 support will scale well for future use.

As I said I think you should get a CPU cooler as leaving a 2500K at stock clock is just a waste. I have recently purchased a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler that just manages to fit inside an Antec Dark Fleet DF-10 case. I would recommend this cooler but only if you check your cases dimensions and are certain it will fit.

With good air cooling a 4GHz overclock should be easily obtainable and you will see good performance increases.
m
l
October 10, 2011 1:28:01 AM

Okay I have finally put together a final build. My only question is...Will the case I am buying fit all of the above? And if not do you recommend something else? :

CASE:ROSWELL CHALL. Mid :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YVJJ5Y/ref=ox_sc_a...

Corsair Liquid CPU cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFOE2/ref=ox_sc_a...

Antec 750 psu:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QZMBEQ/ref=ox_sc_a...

WD 1tb Hard drive:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036Q7MV0/ref=ox_sc_a...

Intel i5 2500k processor:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXHQ/ref=ox_sc_a...

Gigabayte z68 Mobo:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00518M78O/ref=ox_sc_a...

G skill ripjaw 8gb memory:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050119O0/ref=ox_sc_a...

Evga Gforze 560 2mb:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PI8/ref=ox_sc_a...

Sony Dvd/R+W:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MRHOQG/ref=ox_sc_a...

In conclusion will the chosen casing fit all of the above? If you have any additional advice or recommendations please do speak up :) 

Thank you!
m
l
May 6, 2012 7:20:55 AM

I can run WoW no lag wat so ever on my acer aspire one 722. its a netbook/notebook with 4 gb ram, 1.0 Ghz and 320 GB HDD.

all of my friends said i needed more than 2.0 Ghz but i can run no lag 1.0 Ghz.

Try this website, apparently it has really good tips for speeding up WoW:

www.imswinging.com

glad i could help :) 
m
l
!