* Compaq Presario B1015 - XP Pro SP2 does not boot "

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 10, 2005 3:59:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Dear Experts,

When I bought my Compaq Presario B1015 (Pentium 4 3.03 GHz) Laptop in Feb
2004 it had
XP Home German + SP1. Later I formated and installed XP Pro + SP1 than
upgraded to SP2.
It was working great.

Later I gave my laptop to Compaq for fixing a speaker problem. But to my
horror, Compaq
updated the BIOS version to 1.0O-5108-0812 and also reverted everything to
their
default installation, XP Home German + SP1.

I reformatted and installed XP professional again with SP1 and it was
working fine.
Then I have installed all the available security patches from windows update
and proceeded to install SP2. Everything was fine during installation of SP2
but after restart it did not boot, just froze at XP logo screen (with
running progress bar). I tried
using safe mode, but no use, safe mode also failed to load, just froze.

Does any one had similar experience with Compaq after BIOS upgrade.
Any one attempted for BIOS update for B1015 as suggested by Compaq with
SP27494.iso

Best Regards
Kumaran
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2005 7:30:57 PM

Kumaran wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> When I bought my Compaq Presario B1015 (Pentium 4 3.03 GHz) Laptop in
> Feb 2004 it had
> XP Home German + SP1. Later I formated and installed XP Pro + SP1 than
> upgraded to SP2.
> It was working great.
>
> Later I gave my laptop to Compaq for fixing a speaker problem. But to
> my horror, Compaq
> updated the BIOS version to 1.0O-5108-0812 and also reverted
> everything to their
> default installation, XP Home German + SP1.
>
> I reformatted and installed XP professional again with SP1 and it was
> working fine.
> Then I have installed all the available security patches from windows
> update and proceeded to install SP2. Everything was fine during
> installation of SP2 but after restart it did not boot, just froze at
> XP logo screen (with running progress bar). I tried
> using safe mode, but no use, safe mode also failed to load, just
> froze.
>
> Does any one had similar experience with Compaq after BIOS upgrade.
> Any one attempted for BIOS update for B1015 as suggested by Compaq
> with SP27494.iso
>
> Best Regards
> Kumaran

The problem might be your procedure. I would reformat, and then with the
laptop disconnected from any network/internet connection, reinstall your
XP Pro with SP1. Then make sure that everything in device manager is
working properly, run from a command prompt: sfc /scannow to check all
system files, do a Disk cleanup and a Defrag, then if everything remains
working through several reboots, go directly to SP2, bypassing the patch
installations. SP2 has all of the previous patches already integrated.

You might also, after formatting and prior to installing anything, run
the disk health tool for whatever hard disk you have in the laptop. The
disk health tool is available for most hard drives from the vendor's
support directly.