D70 Viewfinder question

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham

Test::
Camera on or off, lens in place or not
in each of the following two cases:

1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull

Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?

"Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Test::
> Camera on or off, lens in place or not
> in each of the following two cases:
>
> 1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
> Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
>
> Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?

Not sure exactly what the problem(?) is, but keep in mind that even though
the camera is off it's still running a few things, like displaying the
number of images left on the memory card. One of the things that makes the
D70 unique is that it turns on instantly, so we know there is juice running
to some things in the camera even when it's off.

Graham <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote:

>Camera on or off, lens in place or not
>in each of the following two cases:
>
>1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
> Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
>
>Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?

Nice observation! It's because (I posit) all the "symbology" on the
viewfinder is created using LCD, either an overlay or a combined image.
With the battery removed, the LCD depolarises and goes uniformly dark.

--
Ken Tough

graham

"Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote in message
> Graham <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> >Camera on or off, lens in place or not
> >in each of the following two cases:
> >
> >1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
> > Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
> >
> >Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?
>
> Nice observation! It's because (I posit) all the "symbology" on the
> viewfinder is created using LCD, either an overlay or a combined image.
> With the battery removed, the LCD depolarises and goes uniformly dark.
>
> --
> Ken Tough

Thanks Ken,
Sounds reasonable to me.
Graham

"Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Test::
> Camera on or off, lens in place or not
> in each of the following two cases:
>
> 1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
> Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
>
> Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?
The battery is used to open the aperture on the lens. If you look at the
lens from the front, with the battery out, you will see that the lens is
stopped right down - you'll see that it has a very small hole for the
aperture. Stick the battery in and the aperture will open up. Closed
aperture = little light = dull viewfinder. Open aperture = lots of light =
bright viewfinder.

"Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Test::
> > Camera on or off, lens in place or not
> > in each of the following two cases:
> >
> > 1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
> > Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
> >
> > Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?
> The battery is used to open the aperture on the lens. If you look at the
> lens from the front, with the battery out, you will see that the lens is
> stopped right down - you'll see that it has a very small hole for the
> aperture. Stick the battery in and the aperture will open up. Closed
> aperture = little light = dull viewfinder. Open aperture = lots of light =
> bright viewfinder.

Where the hell did you get that from?

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:00:21 +1000, "Justin Thyme"
<pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote:

>"Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Test::
>> Camera on or off, lens in place or not
>> in each of the following two cases:
>>
>> 1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
>> Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
>>
>> Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?
>The battery is used to open the aperture on the lens. If you look at the
>lens from the front, with the battery out, you will see that the lens is
>stopped right down - you'll see that it has a very small hole for the
>aperture. Stick the battery in and the aperture will open up. Closed
>aperture = little light = dull viewfinder. Open aperture = lots of light =
>bright viewfinder.

How does that work when the lens isn't on the camera?
"Camera on or off, lens in place or not in each of the following two
cases:"
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Hugh Jorgan wrote:
> "Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Test::
>>>Camera on or off, lens in place or not
>>>in each of the following two cases:
>>>
>>>1. Battery installed 2. Battery removed
>>> Viewfinder screen is bright Viewfinder screen is dull
>>>
>>>Why does the battery affect the viewfinder brightness?
>>
>>The battery is used to open the aperture on the lens. If you look at the
>>lens from the front, with the battery out, you will see that the lens is
>>stopped right down - you'll see that it has a very small hole for the
>>aperture. Stick the battery in and the aperture will open up. Closed
>>aperture = little light = dull viewfinder. Open aperture = lots of light =
>>bright viewfinder.
>>
> Where the hell did you get that from?

Try it with your DSLR and you'll see he is right.

--
Ben Thomas

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 20:53:16 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
wrote:

>Hugh Jorgan wrote:
>> "Justin Thyme" <pleasedontspamme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Graham" <rogerscom@rogers.com> wrote in message

>>>The battery is used to open the aperture on the lens. If you look at the
>>>lens from the front, with the battery out, you will see that the lens is
>>>stopped right down - you'll see that it has a very small hole for the
>>>aperture. Stick the battery in and the aperture will open up. Closed
>>>aperture = little light = dull viewfinder. Open aperture = lots of light =
>>>bright viewfinder.
>>>
>> Where the hell did you get that from?
>
>Try it with your DSLR and you'll see he is right.

It doesn't match Grahams OP:

"lens *in place or not*"

How can the D70 stop down the aperture when the lens is laying on the
table, disconnected? Telekinesis?

--
Owamanga!