I want to build and would like some help.

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello forum.
This is my first build and I’m actually as excited as a kid in a candy store. There’s no rush to get this build done as I’m actually looking forward to the experience of placing a computer together(with the help of the fine people here at the forums) than to actually use it…but want to be blown away when I use it. Like a “WOOOOAH I built this..I actually built this!” type of blown away. Then I would like to take the next step and begin experimenting with overclocking.

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 months from now.

Budget Range: $600-$800
I know this is a vague budget but I’m in the mindset that I want to make a good build for my needs that does not break the pig but if I need to go a bit higher to stay “future proof” or to make sure I’m getting the best out of all my components, so be it.
Before: Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Moderate gaming, HD video viewing(?) Media Storage, College(Yes, blame my youth for having my priorities mixed up,lol), Photoshop.

Parts Not Required: Speakers, Monitor, Video Card, OS, Hard Drives, Keyboard and Mice.
Video Card: Evga GeForce GT 430 1 GB DDR3(01G-P3-1430-LR)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or another site that is cheaper but reliable. Sadly Amazon isn’t in the computer parts business..
Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences:

Already have:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion $54.99

Interested in :

CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 955 $115

Mobo
ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ $129.99
I'm looking at the M5A88-V with the assumption that AM3+ will still be viable down the line and allow me to upgrade to a good CPU years from now.
But if this mobo isn't right for me, please let me know.

PSU
I don't have one specific in mind because this is the area that I really don't want to get wrong. I'm not sure if I modular power supply for a first build, less wires does provide better airflow..but would it be worth the extra cash in my case?
Then there's the fact that my power supply has to be bottom mounted and I've read that not all PSU like that. The of course comes the Ws and quality which I'm leaning towards Corsair 500W but should I go 650 to be safe? So, if someone could point me in the right direction here, I would appreciate it and I'll do the research from there, I don't want to give the impression that I'm lazy.

One DVD/CD burner drive-This would be more looking for one that matches the case well than anything. Any recommendations are well-come.
One Blu-ray burner to be able to back-up my media. I currently have two 500GBs

Overclocking: Yes, I would like to try this but not to the point I will be using water cooling and tubing. I’m willing to go as far as air cooling will take me. So I'm assuming I'll need a coolmaster not only on the CPU itself but perhaps one on the side of the case(case comes with four fans but can accommodate 5.

SLI or Crossfire:
No.

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: Man, where should I start. Though I am looking at AMD, I’m not strictly trying to build a AMD build. I’ve actually had little experience with AMD but their aggressive pricing for Mid level builds have me looking their way. I would like to go Intel but I just don’t have the cash they are asking for without making sacrifice somewhere else in the build…but this is my first build, you guys would know more that I. I guess the main thing I want out of this build outside of the enjoyment of building it, is flexibility to upgrade when necessary. I would like it to last me three to four years by upgrading parts when necessary and avoiding a situation as“your mobo has a 945 chipset, so no you cannot have all of your ram regardless if you’re on x64. Take your 3.25 and like it!”..don’t want that. I also would like input if 5.25 bay fan control with screen would be a good addition to control the fans on the antec case(and achievable for someone’s first build) or if that slot would be better used for a media card reader. Well, I guess that is….like I said, Kid and candy store.

If I need to answer some more questions, ask away. If I did something wrong in this post, I apologize now and I will fix it when it's brought to my attention.
Guides that I checked out:A Guide to Choosing Computer Parts -By Proximon which was extremely helpful.

Solution
OK! Got some magic.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz quad core processor
BUNDLED WITH:
Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 Intel LGA 1155 SLI motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660719
Together $333

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 80+ SLI certified PSU $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Case (subject to change) Antec 300 Illusion $55 ($70 after tonight)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

DVD Burner: Sony Optiaric lightscribe DVD burner $22
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118040...

striker410

Distinguished
Hey there! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're excited! Let's talk over some stuff.

You say you want AMD, correct? Well then, we can work with that. I would go Intel as it looks like you can fit it in the budget. However, if you want to go AMD, we will go AMD!

Before we start out, I have a few questions. How seriously are you doing photoshop? This is an important question.

Would you prefer to buy parts from amazon? They actually are in the computer parts business. They trade blows with newegg on price.

How serious are you going to game? At this budget, we could get you read for BF3 easily.

Could you list your 500GB HDD's? I want to make sure they are compatible.

Get back to me on that stuff and i'll help you out!

BTW, not sure where you are getting your OS from (or if it's legit or not) But if you are a student, Microsoft gives a HUGE discount to people with a .edu email. Here's the link: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/windows/buynow/default.aspx

Cerealkiller45_86

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Forget doing AMD build now. They are suppose to come out with the bulldozer type cpus..no data yet as to it's capabilities.
Go with Intel if you're in a hurry to build a good system. I5 2500k is great processor, also : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128493 this mobo rocks!...get a small SSD then use the Intel Smart Response Technology on this mobo to setup your OS HD with the SSD. Totally awesome capability.

striker410

Distinguished

Oh duh, I somehow thought he was on a $500 when writing about the CPU. My bad. Good advice.

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Striker410:

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're excited! Let's talk over some stuff.

You say you want AMD, correct? Well then, we can work with that. I would go Intel as it looks like you can fit it in the budget. However, if you want to go AMD, we will go AMD!

If we can fit Intel, then I wouldn’t be oppose to going Intel. Truthfully, I would like the most value for my money and AMD seemed like it would accomplish that. But to put it in perspective, should I assume that the Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz completely destroys the AMD 955 in most aspects to justify the $75 difference?

Before we start out, I have a few questions. How seriously are you doing photoshop? This is an important question.

I just use it for recreation; it’s not my livelihood or anything like that. To sum it up best, I’m completely content with CS3 for my needs. I just don’t want this build to struggle with CS5 when I do make the jump…I’ve used a computer that struggled with Photoshop, don’t want to experience that again.

Would you prefer to buy parts from amazon? They actually are in the computer parts business. They trade blows with newegg on price.
Yeah, that is what I meant. They have parts but not a great selection, not as detailed, and often priced higher. So I rather go for newegg, even if I have to pay tax and shipping, still cheaper in the end(most times).

How serious are you going to game? At this budget, we could get you read for BF3 easily.
Yeah, Moderate gaming was a bit too vague ,lol. Nothing high-end as you can see I’m running a Evga GeForce GT 430 and I am fine with it. I would like this build to be able to handle itself if I do get into high-end gaming, with the addition of a stronger GPU of course, but at the moment it isn’t a top priority. Moderate gaming like Portal 2 off steam is sufficient for me for now but if you say we can make it happen with my budget, let me know what you have in mind. Hopefully it involves keeping the GT430, since I just got the thing,lol.

Could you list your 500GB HDD's? I want to make sure they are compatible.
Hitachi 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II Hard Drive
Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive

THANKS for the link on Windows 7 Professional Upgrade for such a cheap price. I was just planning on using my Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, but for $30.00, hard not to go for it. :D

striker410

Distinguished
Alright then. Thanks for the info.

And as stated above, my brain got your thread confused with another. i5-2400 is an excellent processor, although we might as well throw down the $35 for the 2500k to go TOTALLY overkill :D

Also, GET THAT GPU OUTTA HERE! Cmon man! It's a GT 430...... With your budget, we can probably get at least a 6850, which will smoke the GT 430...

Ahh, those HDD's are just fine. We'll work with those.

Alright, I'm cooking up a build. I'll edit this post once I have it finished.

BTW, do you live near a microcenter?

striker410

Distinguished
OK! Got some magic.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz quad core processor
BUNDLED WITH:
Mobo: Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 Intel LGA 1155 SLI motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660719
Together $333

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 80+ SLI certified PSU $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371026

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

Case (subject to change) Antec 300 Illusion $55 ($70 after tonight)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

DVD Burner: Sony Optiaric lightscribe DVD burner $22
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118040

Cooling: Hyper 212+ 120MM cooler
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308020676&sr=8-1

That's all! Comes to about $615.

And if you want a little horsepower Cough BF3 cough

XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 $188
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506
That comes to roughly $800.

Check out the parts, particularly the case. I must say, I think it's kick ass!

The 2500k and P67 will allow you to overclock the CPU, with the Hyper 212+ cooler getting you to about 4.5Ghz.

The Antec 300 Illusion is an awesome case, looks awesome.

Vengeance ram. Nuff said.

Hope that helps!

Solution

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Wow, Cerealkiller, thanks. I did not consider this route as I though my budget would not allow me to go I5 or make use of the Intel Smart Response Technology. I guess I was being a bit too conservative with the pieces I was looking at for my budget in fear I would go overboard, in other words, I was doing it wrong. :D

I already picked up the Antec 300 illusion earlier today because like you said, it just kicked so much ass at that price point. :D

As for your build, it helps substantially. It gives me a starting point that I can use to orientate myself as I move forward, I really appreciate it. Just a couple a questions, I'm actually leaning towards a build that makes use of the new Z68 chipset, so I can make use of Intel Smart Response Technology and a SSD. Yeah, I was shown the good looking candy and a bit, :D . Will anything on this list conflict with this change?
Also any suggestions on Z68 mobo's?
I was looking at the one provided by Cerealkiller and he was correct that it was the best value for your money, at least it seems that way from browsing other Z68 mobos so far.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128493&cm_re=Z68_Express-_-13-128-493-_-Product

And hey man don't dis the 430, it's still a cool card, it still can..can...yeah, who am I kidding, you're right about it, :D . I'll most likely upgrade to something better.

striker410

Distinguished
I agree, excellent mobo. If you want to use the SSD caching, then yes Z68 is the way to go.

Now, let's talk about your needs. The big question is, do you have a 7.1 stereo system? If not, this board is pretty much the same but costs $40 less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502&cm_re=gigabyte_z68-_-13-128-502-_-Product
They are pretty much the same board. Of course, black is the new black...

Btw, here's the best comparison I could find. GT 430 vs 6870: http://www.hwcompare.com/7133/geforce-gt-430-1gb-vs-radeon-hd-6870/ LOL at 929% increase...

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

You're correct once again, that mobo is better for my needs. Though the GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 is great, I don't want to go overboard to the point I'm being wasteful. So, for now, the GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 is part of my build on paper.

Yeah, looking into the 6870, it an impressive card. If the budget allows it after purchasing a SSD for caching, I'll be dropping the money for one. The 750w PSU should be more than enough to accomadate everything I'm throwing in here, :D . Hey striker, do you have any experience with 5.25 bay fan controllers?
As you know the Antec 300 illusion has multiple fans and I don't want to be constantly opening the case to adjust the fan speed when necessary, would a fan controller be appropriate in this case or are they more trouble than they are worth?

-------
Just saw the microcenter question, yes there is one 30 minutes away and seeing their prices for the i5............................I'm choosing them over Newegg.

striker410

Distinguished

Lolololol don't lie, that pun was fully intended.

I must say I have never used a fan controller. My challenger was always quiet enough for me.

However, I have heard good things about the NZXT Sentry. It looks pretty good, and it looks pretty sexy. It looks to have all the control you need, with lots of Molex and those little 4 pin fan connectors (can't remember what they are called right now).

rvilkman

Distinguished
The Antec 300 Illusion actually has 3 speed controllers built in and i doubt you really have to adjust them too much on the fly, so find a comfortable setting for them and leave it at that if you have issue with temps for that small adjusting you can open the case easilly enough and do it.

That is a nice choice for a case anyway, and with the deal I pulled the trigger twice on it since i needed to build 2 budged computers :)

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

I actually didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, :D .

The Antec 300 Illusion arrived today and after inspecting, I'm confident enough that it provides enough airflow for my build that I won't need to be constantly changing the fan settings on it. In short, I'll pass on the fan controller bay for now, perhaps down the line if things change.

What's your(or any one else who wishes to discuss) opinion on the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3?
I know the differences they have in connectors and such but what am I interested is in the things I cannot see, yet, with my current knowledge, OC potential, performance and similar things.

Thanks for this information, I've looked over the first link to familiarize myself with the process. Helps a lot that the author was using an Antec 300 illusion for his build as well, :D .
Also, any recommendations on what to place in the front 5.25 bay other than a disc drive or fan controller?

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I've done the necessary reading on the Z268 chipset, SRT, Virtu, SSDs, and P67 and have come to the conclusion that the Z268 is the way I should go. Yes, I am now well aware that SSD caching will not give me the results of just having a SSD as a boot drive, but it's an option that I rather have available for future use instead of locking myself in a P67 set-up that would limit my upgrade options. I was on the fence with going with a P67 mobo, using the money saved towards a SSD boot drive, and doing a happy dance but then I came to the realization that I could go Z268 and bide my time to wait for SSD prices to drop so I could have both a SSD boot drive and a SSD for caching..which made me go "win face".
So I would appreciate it if you guys take a look at my set-up and tell me if there is anything I have to change to prevent bottleneck or incompatibility.
To the naked eye the following might seem like I just took Cereal's and striker's suggestions and just joined them....and that naked eye is right, :D . But I actually know the benefits of what each part is giving me now and I found that there was no need to change anything. They were right, the best part about a build is doing the research and choosing the parts.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k 3.3GHz quad core processor - $180
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 - $170
-Did the research and like Cereal said, it's a great mobo-
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) ModelCMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - $85
-Since I'm going black mobo, might as well go with the black heat spreaders of these..plus Amazon doesn't me charge tax or shipping-
HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 RR-B10-212P-G1- $30/Purchased
HDD: Hitachi 500GB 7200 RPM SATA II Hard Drive + Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive-Moving over
-Plan on adding a SSD cache drive and SSD boot drive when they become more affordable.
PSU: Antec EarthWatts 750 Watt ATX12v v2.3 Power Supply Unit- $90
*This was a great suggestion due to many things but especially the partial modular set-up
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB- $185
*Yep, he sold me on it. :D . Though this is going to be added a few weeks after I run the build with the EVGA 430(I can feel your shame for me from here). Want to get some use out of the thing then after I go with the 6870, I'll curse myself for even doing something so weird, works out for everyone.
DVD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X AD-7261S-0B - $22
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $56/Purchased
Thermal Compound: Will be using the one provided with the CoolMaster[/url]
-....Is this horrible stupid?-
Total: $818 but I'll say $850 just in case. Over by $50 but I can live with it.

So there it is, any advice is welcomed. I plan on starting to purchase the parts for this build about a month from now, hopefully prices will go down...C'mon AMD, make Intel do a price drop!

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Would that be because the Gigabyte's Z68X-UD3P-B3 does not have onboard graphics and therefore cannot make use of Virtu and Quicksync?
Thanks for pointing that out to me, I was a confused on that aspect as documentation stated Virtu and Quicksync stated that onboard video was needing but owners of the Gigabyte's Z68X-UD3P-B3 stated Gigabyte would add support with a driver update...which didn't seem possible to me.
Well, the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 it is, though I lose GSATA3_7 connectors, I gain more back with Virtu and Quicksync.
And thanks for the constant help, :D.

striker410

Distinguished
Awesomeness! Glad to help. And yes you lose a single sata connector. But are you reallllyy gonna connect 7 hard drives? Lol!

Anyway, I hope all goes well. When you get it up and running, PICS OR GTFO! Post them in the Member's system gallery thread in the Homebuilt section. I bet it's gonna be one sexy machine :D

BTW, I totally think you need the 5.25 toaster I linked above...

LearninginProgress

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

When I first say the 5.25 toaster, my brain could not find the appropriate words to describe my feelings for it. Now that I've had a little time to reflect..my brain still can't find the appropriate words for it. :D . Guess I can't fully process the awesomeness of a computer and toaster in one set-up. And thanks again.

Thanks. Hope everything goes smooth as well but will be studying the guides here on toms to lower the chances of a frustrating first build significantly.