Power Supply Burned Out/Smoke

rish132004

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, first time posting here so I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask the question.

Anyways, about 6 months ago I built a new PC. I bought the parts from the local Micro Center and put it together myself.

Everything had been working fine for the last few months, but this morning I had a burning smell coming from my computer. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and my temperatures seemed fine. After an hour or so, I shut down and went on with my day. When I came home this afternoon, I turned the computer on and I got the smell again. But once again, nothing felt hot and the temperatures seemed fine.

After leaving it on for 3 hours or so, I noticed the smell got stronger and all of a sudden my PC shut off and I noticed smoke coming from the corner of the power supply. I quickly unplugged all my cables from the back of the PC. It's been an hour or so and it still smells bad, but I have not turned the PC on since then. I figure the PSU is completely dead.

What I want to know is that if it is okay to just replace the PSU and continue to use the PC as normal or do I have to build an entire new rig? It doesn't seem like the CPU, GPU or MoBo have been damaged and I don't have another PC to test them out on to make sure.

Here are my specs to help a little:
CPU: Intel i7 950 3.07GHz
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 1366 ATX
RAM: Corsair 12GB 1333
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SE
PSU: OCZ 700W StealthXstream

Any and all help is appreciated guys.

Thanks!

khubani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
You could always check the capacitors to see if they've been damaged on the motherboard (if it has any...I have an old MoBo...), but I had the same thing happened. A new PSU should be fine but you can also test each component in a different computer if you're worried.

BestBuy would do it, just don't let them toy around with it for longer than 20m. Labor fees. :(

TRENDING THREADS