Sign in with
Your question

Can the Dell 0GDG8Y motherboard handle a 650W PSU?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2012 11:53:41 AM

I have the Dell Inspiron 620MT, and I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, I have decided on a Geforce 560ti, and for this I know I need a bigger PSU than the one that comes with the PC. But I was looking around and I heard someone say that it was possible that the motherbord wouldn't handle the load of a bigger PSU. Is this even possible? Thanks.
And one more thing. If the motherboard doesn't support the PSU would it be possible to buy a new case and motherboard but put all the existing components (besides the motherboard and video card) into the new case? I'm pretty sure the RAM is from dell but the cpu is an i5 2320 @3.00Ghz, so if I were to get a motherbord for this socket would everything work?
Thanks guys
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 12:06:56 PM

Your dell windows installation is tied to a small bios file in the dell motherboard, so I don't recommend changing the board. You can fit almost any standard atx power supply in your dell case; I recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Series-Fully-Modular-Performa...; it will work with your dell board unless you have a proprietary connector. Most newer boards from dell don't have any special connectors, but check anyway. Newegg also has this ps if you don't see them listed with the amazon venders.
a c 125 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 12:32:30 PM

"I heard someone say that it was possible that the motherbord wouldn't handle the load of a bigger PSU"

This is utter nonsense. There is no load the PSU puts on the MB. Any ATX PSU of about 500 watts or greater will work with the new graphics card. Of course, stick with reputable brands.
Related resources
May 29, 2012 2:28:10 PM

o1die said:
Your dell windows installation is tied to a small bios file in the dell motherboard, so I don't recommend changing the board. You can fit almost any standard atx power supply in your dell case; I recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Series-Fully-Modular-Performa...; it will work with your dell board unless you have a proprietary connector. Most newer boards from dell don't have any special connectors, but check anyway. Newegg also has this ps if you don't see them listed with the amazon venders.

How do I check if I have a proprietary connector? And also, couldn't I install a fresh version of Windows?
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2012 3:36:06 PM

You have to buy a new windows coa to change to a non dell board. You already have plenty of speed; no point in changing boards since your cpu isn't designed for overclocking. The "k" series 1155 cpus can be overclocked with many boards, but if you start changing the board/cpu/windows you might as well sell your dell intact and build your own. I doubt your dell board has any special connectors, but the link I provided to the power supply at newegg will have pictures of the connectors which you can match up to your board.
!