Which CPU?

Hello,
I need a computer update badly from 2003 hardware to today. Please help: I paint. I use Painter, ArtRage, some PhotoShop; no games. will the i7-960 be as steady and reliable as a Xenon type? Should I look for an older Xenon? (money matters, of course). Should I follow the gamers and saddle up an i7-2600k? I am thinking a Ge Force GTX550 Ti, will do, but Have also thought of the ATI FirePro 4800. Please help. My head is spinning from all I've read in the past 2 weeks or so. Other suggestions welcome (Psu?,Cooler? RAM? SSD?) Thank you.
9 answers Last reply
More about which
  1. list your system specs so we can get an idea of what should be upgraded
  2. Well as far as I know neither Painter not ArtRage can use gpu acceleration and run purely under cpu power so I would recommend a Sandy Bridge cpu. You can get the i7-2600 for the same price as the 960 but note that this is not the k version so overclockingis very limited. The 2600k is $15 more.

Photoshop does use gpu accelerationand heres the list of tested video cards.
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html
  3. Thanks for replies.
    Have 2 machines now: first is AMD Athlon XP 1800 with mobo MSI KT3 Ultra2, 80 GB HDD, zip and floppy, 2 GB RAM, Matrox Parhelia 128, XP.
    2nd: a 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium Dual, 2 core, not hyper-t, 64-bit ready, ECS 945GCT-M, SATA HDD, 1GB RAM.
    Because of the 2GB, I use the 1st one to paint on, but my 100+MB files really slow to respond and to save most times. Also often use both painting progs (+ more), at same time. I think I need new blood, not just an infusion, so to speak.
  4. If you're needing CPU and GPU acceleration, Llano (the new AMD chip) might be the way to go. I'd Google some reviews first, but it will stop you needing to get a discrete graphics card.
  5. Well thanks guys, I was hoping for an opinion on the i7-960 vs. i7-2600(k) for digital
    art, and my impression is that it doesn't matter what I choose really, all the new
    machines will do the job just fine and be much quicker than what I have now.
  6. The 1366 platform's advantage is its tri-channel memory. If you need it, buy it. If not, don't.
  7. FinneousPJ said:
    The 1366 platform's advantage is its tri-channel memory. If you need it, buy it. If not, don't.

It always helps to dissipate unknowing when an example is offered of how an item is used. I have read the specs for that CPU and I am aware of 'tri-channel' and all the other facts, but that did not make clear the benefit of that processor in a pragmatic way, nor the advantage of that over another. Teaching another is not done by curt dismissal, I don't think.

But forget about it. I made a choice and I'm fine now.

Danke
  8. helpfish said:
    Hello,
    I need a computer update badly from 2003 hardware to today. Please help: I paint. I use Painter, ArtRage, some PhotoShop; no games. will the i7-960 be as steady and reliable as a Xenon type? Should I look for an older Xenon? (money matters, of course). Should I follow the gamers and saddle up an i7-2600k? I am thinking a Ge Force GTX550 Ti, will do, but Have also thought of the ATI FirePro 4800. Please help. My head is spinning from all I've read in the past 2 weeks or so. Other suggestions welcome (Psu?,Cooler? RAM? SSD?) Thank you.

Listen here helpfish. ;) If I was you,I'd go the core i7 2600 or 2600k & get the lot. ;) Do not go for the old the old LGA1366,like the core i7 960 or else this whole rig will cost you & is behind in it's chipset specifications. ;) Do not go the AMD bulldozer lot or you'll run out of diesel also. ;) Just stay Intel & you'll be okay. :sol:
  9. Thank you WIWW,

I must have picked up your brainwaves: the other day I walked into Micro Center and walked out some time later, with a CPU (i7-2600k), a mo (ASUS P8Z68-V) and a few other goodies. I threw the lot into a Phantom (white w. red trim). A test boot, before mounting into the chassis, was good. It remains to see whether I connected everything properly. There were many wires... I think I worked them out ok, but there were no directions (that I could decipher, anyway) so my electrical work (side fan and controller) has yet to be 'proved'.

I've got Win 7, so I'm almost there, I hope.

Best
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs