Best Graphics card that will NOT bottleneck NOR break the bank

Hello everyone. This is my VERY FIRST post.

I will be combining these parts http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=11354589 to make a computer. I am reconsidering my GFX card. At $360 going SLI is going to be ridiculously expensive. Taking the other parts into consideration which card would you suggest. It will be used for gaming about 28 hours a day during the week and 35 hours a day over the weekend. I am hoping for an sli that will exceed the 570. I was thinking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510&cm_re=460_oc-_-14-127-510-_-Product . Could you maybe suggest a cheaper GFX card that will still be on par with the rest of the components. If you want to give your opinion about the compatibility of the rest of the hardware I wouldn't mind that one bit. :hello:

Solution
While $360 x2 is expensive, but when do you plan on going SLI? I don't recommend SLI/Crossfire for a new build for several reason, but here are just a few:

1) With a single, more powerful GPU, you are guaranteed good performance in all games (the exception being that a few games highly prefer AMD or NVIDIA, but as long as the GPU is descently powerful you should be OK). Not all games work with SLI or Crossfire, but will with a single card.

2) If you buy two weaker GPUs now, what happens 6-12 months from now if you want more power and decide you want an upgrade? Hope to sell both and buy a more powerful card? I wouldn't chance it.

My recomendation is buy a single GPU of which you can afford now, and then 6 months or so from now...

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
While $360 x2 is expensive, but when do you plan on going SLI? I don't recommend SLI/Crossfire for a new build for several reason, but here are just a few:

1) With a single, more powerful GPU, you are guaranteed good performance in all games (the exception being that a few games highly prefer AMD or NVIDIA, but as long as the GPU is descently powerful you should be OK). Not all games work with SLI or Crossfire, but will with a single card.

2) If you buy two weaker GPUs now, what happens 6-12 months from now if you want more power and decide you want an upgrade? Hope to sell both and buy a more powerful card? I wouldn't chance it.

My recomendation is buy a single GPU of which you can afford now, and then 6 months or so from now check out the deals. My Radeon HD 5850 was over $279 when I bought the Sapphire, but the Gigabyte Radeon HD 5850 was less than $190 when I bought it just 6 months later.

I'm not saying the 570 will drop that far that fast, but even if it goes down to $280 when you decide you need more power, then for $640 you would've gotten a more powerful option than any single GPU available.

And why do you want Windows 32 bit? I would recommend you get 64 bit, and unless you really need the added functions, you can save $79 getting just the Home Premium OEM kit.

I didn't see a monitor either, but I'm assuming 21.5-23" 1920x1080? That will add about $149-199, depending on what you want. I didn't see a keyboard/mouse either.

Solution

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Ha, yeah I didn't see that part...

I'm not discounting the 560 or 460 as both are very great cards, especially when OC'd, but when going with a new build I never plan on multi-card off the blocks but leave the possibility open.

Yeah the 32 bit was a mistake and has been fixed. JFBY you do make some good points. i have the monitor, hard drives etc.( can't afford Solid state. MAYBE a 120GB MAYBE).

When I game time has no teeth. I might be in a MMORPG that has accelerated time or in a FPS sniper game where time stands still as I SLOWLY make my way to my mark. I may even game for 3 days inside of a day. :pt1cable:

This is a COMPLETE want. i haven't spend this amount of money on a computer system before. In referance to your monitor assumption I have yet to decide. I wasn't even considering a screen that small. this lil baby needs to last at least a few years. I am thinking ~27"-32" depending on available sizes. It may do, nay, it WILL do double duty as a monitor and TV. I RARELY watch TV except for in the morning time and a bit in the evening.I still have at least 5 months of purchases to make so the monitor really hasn't been researched yet.

As far as your answer it was the best answer because it was a nice reality check. Logical and true your words rang. I'll be going with the

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

Seeing as how it has a limited lifetime warranty, as opposed to 2,3,5 or 7 or less, I would probably be certifiable if I didn't go with the AR. I will be re-examining that in two months when I make the purchase to see what "limited" means to EVGA when it comes to this GFX card. Thank you for your help. :wahoo:

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
This is coming from an AMD owner and I can say that current AMD drivers, especially in multi-card setup, are very disappointing. In 18-24 months when I drop money on a new GPU subsystem, I'll be going NVIDIA if AMD hasn't fixed many of their issues. This isn't even mentioning the games that are designed to run better with NVIDIA, which I dislike intensely but is a fact of life.

I keep hoping that each new release will erase ease my disappointment, but no such luck as of yet.

JFBY really was the best answerererererererer. I'm not around and someone posts a response and he says what I would have said. Of one mind we are when it comes to AMD. My immediate thought when I read the new response was "I've had too many issues with ummmmm SUB BAR drivers" or flat-out inability to support some games. This isn't a hiccup with AMD. It seems ummmmm PAR for the course. Back in the day I was on the dark-side. Today I have seen the light and until the heavens open up to outshine what I have now I will stay with my current build and parts. I do appreciate your thought. If someone suggests I go for a MAC donald duck made computer this topic will self-destruct.