to start off, my rig setup is

amd phenom ii x2 550be
asus m2n68-am se2
markvision pc-6400 2x2gb
hitachi deskstar 500gb @7200rpm
xfx gtx 260 core 216 gfx card
coolermaster extreme 600w
msi dvd burner

i have tested the memory sticks and both are good. i had a friend of mine test them on another mobo. i also borrowed one of his memory sticks and tested on my motherboard: 3 beeps; 1 long, 2 short.

i tried starting up with only the cpu+fan+heatsink, 1 memory stick and the psu connected 24- pin and the 4-pin connector. removed, disconnected everything else.
the result: 3 beeps; 1 long, 2 short.

i shorted the bios (both jumper method+battery pull method), the mobo power led is on indicating that there is a distribution of power but i still get the 3 beeps upon startup.

i also tested the psu power with a voltage meter, also seems in order.

with every part added i get those 3 beeps, with nothing to the basic components added, i get the same 3 beeps. so far, the 3 beeps indicate memory failure or video graphics failure. i kinda ruled out the gfx card because (1) i really dont want that to be the case and (2) with the bios reset, gfx card removed running onboard gfx, i still get the 3 beeps. psu is good and power distribution is good, yet still 3 beeps.

i narrowed it down to bad memory card slots. but how can i be sure of this? tried cleaning/wiping the slots inside and out, still nothing. do you think i missed something here?

Solution

Yea lol. Sorry for that. Funny thing too when things like this happen I chock it up to gaining experience.

I've had countless of things go wrong with my PC and not other people's PC when I would fix or build one for them.

But it's okay!

Now would be the best time for an upgrade. Try to sell what you have piece by piece or as a whole to someone you know or on ebay. Obviously don't expect much.

But again yes, this is the best time to upgrade. The time couldn't come any sooner imo.

forumfan_920

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

i cant believe that the opportunity to upgrade would come sooner than later. i was kinda hoping on later. i was planning on upgrading anyway. jeez.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

Yea lol. Sorry for that. Funny thing too when things like this happen I chock it up to gaining experience.

I've had countless of things go wrong with my PC and not other people's PC when I would fix or build one for them.

But it's okay!

Now would be the best time for an upgrade. Try to sell what you have piece by piece or as a whole to someone you know or on ebay. Obviously don't expect much.

But again yes, this is the best time to upgrade. The time couldn't come any sooner imo.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.