Sign in with
Your question

Need Help! Palit GTX 460 768mb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 31, 2011 10:38:31 PM

Hi everyone would appreciate some advice.

Situation: I currently have a Palit Gtx460 768mb couple with a AMD phenom II X4 955 (at 3.2Ghz) on Coolermaster GX550 psu, when I am on my computer sometimes I experience Multicoloured screens or pixlated multicoloured screens, this can happen randomly when im playing a game such as call of duty black ops or World of warcraft, or even when im just browsing the internet. Following the pixelated or multicoloured screen the computer will do one of three things.

1.Go to a Blue screen (memory dump failure) I never got time to read the code
2. Black screen and Restart instantly starting up with Could not Set VGA clocks
3. Come out of the Screens saying Nvidia Drivers have stopped responding and recovered.

I started experiencing the problems about 3 months ago, I have tried different drivers I kept updating the drivers from the nvidia website but still no avial. I really don't know whether I need a bigger psu or the graphics card has an issue (which its too late to rma) or whether its just simpley the drivers and bios.

Literally today I got a new motherboard I went from an Asus M4A785TDM-Evo to the M4N98TD Evo (Sli 980a) and the problem occurred.

One more question is if I were to SLI two gtx 460 with my current system what size PSU would I need? Could you recommend one that isnt more than £100?

System Specs:
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 Ghz) CPU Cooler Zalman CPNS with Artic Silver MX4
Mobo: Asus M4N98TD Evo
Memory: OCZ Special Ops 1600Mhz DDR3 (8-8-8-24)
Graphics card: Palit GTX 460 768mb (266.58) On the Palit Drivers 266.77 Seemed to be occur less frequently

Thanks for any input :D  Andrew

More about : palit gtx 460 768mb

March 31, 2011 11:24:38 PM

Looks like your card itself has problems. I would RMA it. (Btw I have exactly the same card as you). Try to UNDER clock the card's memory and see if the problem is gone.
April 1, 2011 12:19:37 AM

Return the card and never buy one from Palit again, please people learn to read all the comments and reviews on their cards then you would have realized maybe they were not the best choice out there if not one of the worst on the market. Palit cards have terrible quality for a number of reasons such as small noisy fan, very low end aluminum block that couldn't cool much of any thing, no power vrm cooling at all (the card's own little power supply that the 6pin connectors hook to), and no vram cooling (memory) so typically these tend to roast the croak.

RMA and for sli pick a different brand of gtx 460 that isn't so terribly made.
Related resources
April 1, 2011 10:18:41 AM

It was a rush buy at the time, wish I hadn't brought and I don't think i can rma because I took the heatsink of and replaced the thermal paste on the GPU =(
April 1, 2011 12:56:42 PM

you didnt mention that you removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste................make sure the heatsink is placed properly and no gaps,if you can,try refitting the heatsink and see if that works..........or buy an after-market cooler and try that....
April 1, 2011 1:12:53 PM

There are not very many coolers for us gtx 460 and gtx 560 owners due to the position of the gpu and hole spacing. He/she can use g92 based coolers as palit did use that spacing but the gpu is very close to the bracket than most gpus so that is often a source of many issues there.
April 1, 2011 1:58:11 PM

teaser said:
you didnt mention that you removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste................make sure the heatsink is placed properly and no gaps,if you can,try refitting the heatsink and see if that works..........or buy an after-market cooler and try that....

I did the problem was happening before i replaced the thermal paste, I cleaned off the original and applied Artic silver mx4, which brought the temp down from 70 underload to 60
April 1, 2011 2:01:05 PM

I meant that I did replace the graphics card cooler forogt to mention that but it was on correctly
April 1, 2011 2:06:59 PM

It wasn't your fault, just RMA this card and avoid them in the future. They make very poor quality cards so it is no surprise that it gave you problems.
!