Is there a fiddle proof digital camera available?

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 5, 2005 8:11:39 PM

My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took one of
my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.

I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn it on and
take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one in.

They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed expert
told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to do it.

The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the lowest
quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.

My question is...

Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked such
that so-called experts can't stuff things up?
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 8:11:40 PM

Ken Oaf wrote:
> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took one of
> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>
> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn it on and
> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one in.
>
> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed expert
> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to do it.
>
> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the lowest
> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>
> My question is...
>
> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked such
> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Hi...

Wow, a flashback... sending the kids off to camp eons
ago; having them come back claiming that they were still
on the second roll, and it was lasting a real long time.
Took hundreds of pictures, and it still wasn't finished.
By now you you'll have guessed that one of the leaders
changed it, and it wasn't threaded onto the take up spool :(

Don't think there's any camera that can be locked; but it
might be a good idea - maybe Ron from Kodak is watching? :)

Might try getting them involved in the hobby; have them
learn a little themselves? Maybe be a nice hobby that
you could all share together.

Might try writing out step by step kindergarten level
step by step instructions covering any problems they may
encounter.

Might tell them that experts aren't needed - or if one
really, really is - see if they can't spot someone using
a similar camera - at least the same manufacturer.
If they're really getting on in years (as I am :)
then maybe writing a note that they could show to
their helper, telling him/her what they're trying to
do, asking him/her to set it up that way for them.

Might try an upgrade - where the smallest is at least
greater than 640/480. Even twice that makes nice 4x6's.

Just thinking....

Take care.

Ken
March 5, 2005 8:11:41 PM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Might try writing out step by step kindergarten level
> step by step instructions covering any problems they may
> encounter.

You don't have elderly parents do you? :-)

This is why I got my mom a stylus with the fixed 35mm f2.8 lens. There is
only one button on it!

--

Stacey
March 6, 2005 2:46:38 AM

Just let them use yours but purchase a larger memory card so they can take
several hundred pictures on = no extra cards needed!
Then you just have to worry about the batteries! lol

And BTW I think most parents get that way (so-called experts) as they get
older! ;-) Mine are, but they are happy! lol

"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took
> one of
> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>
> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn it
> on and
> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one in.
>
> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed
> expert
> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to
> do it.
>
> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the lowest
> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>
> My question is...
>
> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked
> such
> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 5:52:32 AM

Ken Oaf wrote:
> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took one of
> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>
> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn it on and
> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one in.
>
> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed expert
> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to do it.
>
> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the lowest
> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>
> My question is...
>
> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked such
> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Sure. You can buy 'one-use' cameras at CVS pharmacy. Perhaps, if your
parents can't learn to use a more complex camera, a simple, disposable,
film camera would be the best choice, or the aforementioned 'digital'.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Ken Oaf wrote:
>
>> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they
>> took one of
>> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>>
>> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn
>> it on and
>> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one
>> in.
>>
>> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self
>> proclaimed expert
>> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered
>> to do it.
>>
>> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the
>> lowest
>> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>>
>> My question is...
>>
>> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings
>> locked such
>> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?
>

> Hi...
>
> Wow, a flashback... sending the kids off to camp eons
> ago; having them come back claiming that they were still
> on the second roll, and it was lasting a real long time.
> Took hundreds of pictures, and it still wasn't finished.
> By now you you'll have guessed that one of the leaders
> changed it, and it wasn't threaded onto the take up spool :(
>
> Don't think there's any camera that can be locked; but it
> might be a good idea - maybe Ron from Kodak is watching? :)
>
> Might try getting them involved in the hobby; have them
> learn a little themselves? Maybe be a nice hobby that
> you could all share together.
>
> Might try writing out step by step kindergarten level
> step by step instructions covering any problems they may
> encounter.
>
> Might tell them that experts aren't needed - or if one
> really, really is - see if they can't spot someone using
> a similar camera - at least the same manufacturer.
> If they're really getting on in years (as I am :)
> then maybe writing a note that they could show to
> their helper, telling him/her what they're trying to
> do, asking him/her to set it up that way for them.
>
> Might try an upgrade - where the smallest is at least
> greater than 640/480. Even twice that makes nice 4x6's.
>
> Just thinking....
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Unless a person is seriously into late stage of dementia, they should be
capable of LEARNING to use a digital camera. Usually the problem is
more lack of 'want to', than 'can do'. In these cases, something with
which they are more comfortable is probably better.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:32:27 PM

> Ken Weitzel wrote:
>>

>> Ken Oaf wrote:
>>
>>> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took
>>> one of
>>> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>>>
>>> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn
>>> it on and
>>> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one
>>> in.
>>>
>>> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed
>>> expert
>>> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to
>>> do it.
>>>
>>> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the
>>> lowest
>>> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>>>
>>> My question is...
>>>
>>> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked
>>> such
>>> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?
>>

>> Hi...
>>
>> Wow, a flashback... sending the kids off to camp eons
>> ago; having them come back claiming that they were still
>> on the second roll, and it was lasting a real long time.
>> Took hundreds of pictures, and it still wasn't finished.
>> By now you you'll have guessed that one of the leaders
>> changed it, and it wasn't threaded onto the take up spool :(
>>
>> Don't think there's any camera that can be locked; but it
>> might be a good idea - maybe Ron from Kodak is watching? :)
>>
>> Might try getting them involved in the hobby; have them
>> learn a little themselves? Maybe be a nice hobby that
>> you could all share together.
>>
>> Might try writing out step by step kindergarten level
>> step by step instructions covering any problems they may
>> encounter.
>>
>> Might tell them that experts aren't needed - or if one
>> really, really is - see if they can't spot someone using
>> a similar camera - at least the same manufacturer.
>> If they're really getting on in years (as I am :)
>> then maybe writing a note that they could show to
>> their helper, telling him/her what they're trying to
>> do, asking him/her to set it up that way for them.
>>
>> Might try an upgrade - where the smallest is at least
>> greater than 640/480. Even twice that makes nice 4x6's.
>>
>> Just thinking....
>>
>> Take care.
>>
>> Ken
>>
> Unless a person is seriously into late stage of dementia, they should be
> capable of LEARNING to use a digital camera. Usually the problem is more
> lack of 'want to', than 'can do'. In these cases, something with which
> they are more comfortable is probably better.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Not necessarily. My mother was never able to master anything on the VCR
beyond pushing the "up and down arrows." The same thing is true of cameras.
She would become utterly frustrated and immediately give up if she had to do
anything other than point and shoot (with a single press of a button). She
is now old enough that your comments ring true, but this was *always* true
of her.

MaryL
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:21:33 PM

I suspect other than encasing the camera in plastic, no such camera
exists. If someone is going to "fiddle" with the camera, the options
are going to be available to alter. I think you have to train your
parents not to allow others to "fiddle" with their camera!

Art

Ken Oaf wrote:

> My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took one of
> my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>
> I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn it on and
> take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one in.
>
> They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed expert
> told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to do it.
>
> The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the lowest
> quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>
> My question is...
>
> Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked such
> that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:22:07 PM

MaryL wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Ken Weitzel wrote:

>>>Hi...
>>>
>>>Wow, a flashback... sending the kids off to camp eons
>>>ago; having them come back claiming that they were still
>>>on the second roll, and it was lasting a real long time.
>>>Took hundreds of pictures, and it still wasn't finished.
>>>By now you you'll have guessed that one of the leaders
>>>changed it, and it wasn't threaded onto the take up spool :(
>>>
>>>Don't think there's any camera that can be locked; but it
>>>might be a good idea - maybe Ron from Kodak is watching? :)
>>>
>>>Might try getting them involved in the hobby; have them
>>>learn a little themselves? Maybe be a nice hobby that
>>>you could all share together.
>>>
>>>Might try writing out step by step kindergarten level
>>>step by step instructions covering any problems they may
>>>encounter.
>>>
>>>Might tell them that experts aren't needed - or if one
>>>really, really is - see if they can't spot someone using
>>>a similar camera - at least the same manufacturer.
>>>If they're really getting on in years (as I am :)
>>>then maybe writing a note that they could show to
>>>their helper, telling him/her what they're trying to
>>>do, asking him/her to set it up that way for them.
>>>
>>>Might try an upgrade - where the smallest is at least
>>>greater than 640/480. Even twice that makes nice 4x6's.
>>>
>>>Just thinking....
>>>
>>>Take care.
>>>
>>>Ken
>>>

>>Unless a person is seriously into late stage of dementia, they should be
>>capable of LEARNING to use a digital camera. Usually the problem is more
>>lack of 'want to', than 'can do'. In these cases, something with which
>>they are more comfortable is probably better.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> Not necessarily. My mother was never able to master anything on the VCR
> beyond pushing the "up and down arrows." The same thing is true of cameras.
> She would become utterly frustrated and immediately give up if she had to do
> anything other than point and shoot (with a single press of a button). She
> is now old enough that your comments ring true, but this was *always* true
> of her.
>
> MaryL

I have always wondered why some people get to the point where they
aren't willing to learn something new. I hope if I reach that point
someone will have the sense to bury me before I stink up the place. It
just isn't my nature to NOT want to learn something, but I have a
brother who has reached that point. I feel sorry for him. It isn't
because he can't, he just doesn't want to learn anything else.
And I am not exactly young any more, either.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:23:11 PM

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> I suspect other than encasing the camera in plastic, no such camera
> exists. If someone is going to "fiddle" with the camera, the options
> are going to be available to alter. I think you have to train your
> parents not to allow others to "fiddle" with their camera!
>
> Art

There are some base-line models from Kodak, at least, that have a
shutter button,

and that's it.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 8:51:09 PM

> MaryL wrote:
>> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message

>>>Unless a person is seriously into late stage of dementia, they should be
>>>capable of LEARNING to use a digital camera. Usually the problem is more
>>>lack of 'want to', than 'can do'. In these cases, something with which
>>>they are more comfortable is probably better.
>>>

>>>--
>>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>>

>> Not necessarily. My mother was never able to master anything on the VCR
>> beyond pushing the "up and down arrows." The same thing is true of
>> cameras. She would become utterly frustrated and immediately give up if
>> she had to do anything other than point and shoot (with a single press of
>> a button). She is now old enough that your comments ring true, but this
>> was *always* true of her.
>>
>> MaryL
> I have always wondered why some people get to the point where they aren't
> willing to learn something new. I hope if I reach that point someone will
> have the sense to bury me before I stink up the place. It just isn't my
> nature to NOT want to learn something, but I have a brother who has
> reached that point. I feel sorry for him. It isn't because he can't, he
> just doesn't want to learn anything else.
> And I am not exactly young any more, either.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Partly, I think it rests with the person's areas of interest. My mother
simply didn't have any interest in taking the time it would take to learn
about *any* type of electronic equipment. On the other hand, she grew up on
a farm and knew more than most of the men in the area concerning farm
equipment (and how to repair it). By contrast, I have a great deal of
interest in computers and was a "camera bug" back in the days when I had a
Kodak Retina Reflex 35mm camera (including one with a hand-held light
meter) -- but I know next-to-nothing about using or repairing farm
machinery.

MaryL
March 7, 2005 11:54:09 AM

The Canon Powershot S500.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:48:22 PM

Greetings Ken,

I am not aware of any locking cameras, and am sorry to hear that your
parents lost or now only have images that can be viewed. I suspect that you
may be able to get OK prints (4x6) from those files. Try visiting the Ofoto
site; if you are not a member you can get 10 free prints. Pick those that
you feel are the best and see if the resulting prints from the files in
question are acceptable. If they are you can get more. Otherwise, it will
not cost your parents anything. Can do this over the web.

http://www.ofoto.com

Talk to you soon. I will move this along to others as it does make sense
and Kodak wants to know of such situations, Kodak related or not.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> Ken Oaf wrote:
> > My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took
one of
> > my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
> >
> > I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn
it on and
> > take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one
in.

> > They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self proclaimed
expert
> > told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered to
do it.

> > The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the
lowest
> > quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
> >
> > My question is...
> >
> > Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings locked
such
> > that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:48:23 PM

Ron, since you work for Kodak, you may be interested in knowing that I still
have two very old Kodak 35mm cameras -- an Anastigmat Special f3.5 50mm
E046431 that I used with a hand-held meter and a Retina Reflex with built-in
meter (a "marvel" to me at that time). I kept them because -- despite their
age -- they took the most marvellous pictures. If I remember correctly, my
father got one of them during the WWII era and he probably got the Retina
Reflex in the 1950s (or possibly even as early as the late 1940s). I even
kept the Soligor MK-7 that he bought for one of the cameras. Brings back
great memories!

MaryL

"Ron Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:D 0i3sn$t7t$1@news.kodak.com...
> Greetings Ken,
>
> I am not aware of any locking cameras, and am sorry to hear that your
> parents lost or now only have images that can be viewed. I suspect that
> you
> may be able to get OK prints (4x6) from those files. Try visiting the
> Ofoto
> site; if you are not a member you can get 10 free prints. Pick those that
> you feel are the best and see if the resulting prints from the files in
> question are acceptable. If they are you can get more. Otherwise, it
> will
> not cost your parents anything. Can do this over the web.
>
> http://www.ofoto.com
>
> Talk to you soon. I will move this along to others as it does make sense
> and Kodak wants to know of such situations, Kodak related or not.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

>> Ken Oaf wrote:
>> > My elderly parents have just returned from a holiday on which they took
> one of
>> > my Olympus digital cameras along with a film camera.
>> >
>> > I gave them specific instructions not to touch the settings, just turn
> it on and
>> > take the photos. When the card is full, remove it and put another one
> in.
>> >
>> > They filled the first card, put the second one in then a self
>> > proclaimed
> expert
>> > told them all memory cards must be formatted prior to use and offered
> do it.
>> >
>> > The silly bugger managed to reset the camera, which reverted to the
> lowest
>> > quality images (640x480) meaning the pictures are too small to print.
>> >
>> > My question is...
>> >
>> > Is there a fiddle proof digital camera that can have the settings
>> > locked
> such
>> > that so-called experts can't stuff things up?

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:41:46 PM

I think most of them are when on auto. Just given my upgraded canon A40 to
wife and told her to only use switching between auto and review. I'll
probably have to download and get prints for her!
Dave Cohen

!