GPU Fan runs but CPU won't power ON.

amountstax

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hello,

My Graphics card fan begins to run very loud and sometimes my CPU fans as well. The computer doesn't boot.

This happens when I just plug my computer in. I don't have to push the power button at all, it just begins running on it's own. I'm not sure what is happening here. I have a ATI Radeon 5870 GPU (Sapphire). My PSU is a SXS(StealthXStream) 600w.

Here is a link to a video I made to show you what's happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiavnWzXROE

I misspoke in the video it's a 600w power supply not 650w.
The minimum for the GPU is 500w and 600w is recommended.

The thing is I've seen some similar posts that said this is probably the PSU, but I've sent my PSU back to OCZ already and they sent it back "Reconditioned". Could it be that they didn't really fix the problem with the PSU? Or is it my GPU? Or somthing else...? Please help and thank you in advance.

Solution
It sounds like your motherboard might have died...I don't know if the HP boards they use are able to handle these big beefy cards....
I asume that it all ran fine for a year or so...

1...You could try and borough a power supply from a friend to test....

2...You could also try and use a different amd board that supports your cpu to test....

3...You could try your power supply in another computer...see if the same thing happens...

But, my feeling is that the board just gave up....

JQ

jb6684

Distinguished
Is this a brand new build?

Or, just upgrade of a few things?

Normally my fans spin up for a second or two they turn off when I flip on the power switch. Doesn't sound like your CPU & motherboard are starting up properly....

amountstax

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
My computer is about 2 1/2 years old. I bought both my GPU and PSU at the same time about 1 1/2 yrs ago.

For a week or so, before this particular issue began, my computer seemed to have trouble staying on. The lights on it(after pushing the power button) would flicker on and off about 8 times, then it would power on, and stay on, for a moment(started booting up) then, it would power off by itself. Then what your seeing now began to happen.

jb6684

Distinguished
Sounds like your CPU isn't getting proper power. (if it did it would run a bit of code and fans would shut down)

So, GPU might be causing trouble with 12 volts off the supply:

- Remove the 5870 from the system, see if the system powers on and fans slow down to normal speeds.....

- If that works, reinstall the GPU, but do NOT connect the the two PCI-E cables to the GPU, see if this power up normally......

If either of these work, it's either your GPU or Power Supply (even if they said it's okay...). So, do you have a motherboard with on-board video? OR, do you have a second Low end video card you can install to test?

OR, if the steps above to nothing, CPU power still isn't right.
- Locate and un-plug the 4 or 8 pin connector to the motherboard near the CPU. Try to turn on the system, see if the fans spin slow or turn off.

- then plug the 4 or 8 pin connector back in, HEY, sometimes there is just a bad connection, see if it boots properly.

What brand and model of motherboard do you have? Sometimes the voltage regulators for the CPU power fail, the power supply outputs 12 volts but the regulators on the motherboard drop this down to 1 to 2 volts needed for the CPU.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It sounds like your motherboard might have died...I don't know if the HP boards they use are able to handle these big beefy cards....
I asume that it all ran fine for a year or so...

1...You could try and borough a power supply from a friend to test....

2...You could also try and use a different amd board that supports your cpu to test....

3...You could try your power supply in another computer...see if the same thing happens...

But, my feeling is that the board just gave up....

JQ

Solution

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, likely the MB....

Looking at your link, take a look at the upper right hand corner of the motherboard. You'll see a few 'round' (caps) and 'square' (voltage regulators). That's likely what failed (if you look closely they might even show burn marks....). You have a two or three phase power regulation on that board..... (if they die, CPU won't run... which looks like your symptoms)

Basic problem with HP, Compaq, Dell, and Gateway off-the-shelf systems is they are designed for "basic computing." Gaming puts a real strain on them. Especially if you add a GPU. Any ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard will have 8, 10, 12, or 16 phase power regulation so they can handle the strain for years with no issues...

Post Morten, time for a new computer. If you like some guidance on building your own, just post. The CPU, RAM, and MB from the HP could not be moved forward. You can likely eBay the old RAM & CPU. If you want an off the shelf, try CyberPower or IBuyPower, as they build systems more suitable for heavy use or gaming.

An AMD system using an ASUS MB & AMD Athlon II quad core @ 3Ghz with 4Gb DDR3 RAM would go for about $200 total......

TRENDING THREADS