P8H61-MLE/CSM POST problem

teocuitlatl

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello,

I build computers every two years. Things change quickly each time.

This month's build, ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM, with 4 gb 1333 DDR3 (Patriot) and Intel 13-2100 won't POST. This is a new one for me although I know it happens often enough.

I have tried redoing connectors, reseating CPU, re-setting RTC with power cord disconnected and waiting 2-3 minutes.

Power supply is new ANTEC, about 520 w. Fans spin, system board LED is on, drives powered.

If I remove memory stick, I get the expected beep sequence. No beeps when I put memory back in. No long plus three short beeps which would indicate missing VGA. No five short beeps for CPU issue.

My current older ASUS mobo always works and never beeps, with normal power on, so I don't know if this board gives one beep or not when it has passed POST.

There is no VGA signal at all. I don't think I need a separate GPU card, but I can be dumb at times. I was thinking the i-3 had integrated graphics. Mobo manual suggests that there is no need for a graphics card. Any ideas?

teocuitlatl

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Video cable good. It is same cable and monitor I am using with the computer I am using now. took both current computer and monitor off DVI cable (completely disconnected and restarted for VGA, so current monitor is responding to VGA from current computer.

PSU cross-test was some work to arrange, but it runs current computer well, so it is OK.

Basic question: will this (attempted) computer trying to do post test recognize a standard USB keyboard? Do I also need a mouse plugged in? The only mouse port is a combo keyboard/mouse port, non- USB. I am being careful not to plug keyboard into USB 3.0 port, just 2.0

Anything to try next, such as remove battery and clear CMOS?

teocuitlatl

Honorable
May 29, 2012
So, I did a little more work. I have two sticks, identical, PAtriot 4 gb each. The 1 and 2 gb from this family with the PAtriot brand are on the ASUS QVL for this mobo. No mention of my 4 gb.

One stick in Channel B leads to post. Same stick in Channel B no post. Other stick in either channel--no post. Two sticks one in each channel, no POST. IS memory not quite right or is Channel A of Mobo not good?

Thanks.

dagunn007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Currently fixing a friends computer which has the same problem, quite interesting the MB doesn't beep. But yeah, I put RAM into channel A and B and no POST, put 1 stick into A no post, put the same stick into B and it works fine. Definitly a faulty MB. Clearly if you and me have the same problem there must be a problem with this series board, or a stuff up somewhere in the manufacturing line and we happened to have MB's made around the same time as each other.

So RMA is only option, joy, 2 weeks of waiting :S

teocuitlatl

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Yes, they did not replace my board--only repaired it. After that, it was easy to complete the computer build. Probably a day and a half wasted by me plus $12 shipping. And they weren't especially quick about it. No explanation was offered and no apology. They need some work here. :fou: :sleep: