Sign in with
Your question

Desktop shuts down incomplete while laptop auto starts

Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2011 2:27:22 PM

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section to talk about this subject, but I will start here until someone tell me otherwise. I have witness the weirdest thing last night with my computer and laptop. My laptop is a 2-3 year old Dell XPS M1530 running Vista (64) and my desktop is a new build (1 week, specs below). This is what happened; When I shut down my PC (Desktop) my two front and one rear case fan is off but there led lights remained on and my two case fan on top without led are still running (though not at normal full power, but seem slower). Everything is off (HSF, GPU, PSU, OD) except for those two top fans and the other three fans LED. Thinking back a little this also happens when I put it in sleep mode sometimes. Now be ready for the kicker here, when I shut down my PC my laptop would auto start up by itself. Yes, I did say by itself (laptop was shut down and screen was down, then up and running); I was shocked; I am thinking is there a ghost in the machine or something like that. So, to recap when I shut down my PC my laptop will start up by itself and the Desktop two fans and three LED will still be on. When I shut down the laptop the PC two fans and the other three fans LED would also shut down. I have tested this at least three more times and in astonishment the phenomenon happens every times the same way. I am thinking that the only connection between the laptop and PC is the HDMI connection to a HDMI switch (IOGEAR) that runs towards the same monitor. Have anyone experience this kind of phenomenon before? What do you guys think might be the problem here. Can HDMI cable connection between two computers via HDMI switch have that kind of an effect? Please let me know what you think about this and is there a way to prevent this from happening. Thanks for any help here.

CPU: Intel core I5 2500K Sandy Bridge (Will be OC later)
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (Artic silver 5)
MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel
GPU: EVGA GeForce SC GTX 460 (will SLI later)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 (Maybe OC later)
SSD: Kingston SSDNow V+100 SVP100S2/96G (Tweaked)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB
OD: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - iHAS124-04
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 v2 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified
CASE: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
June 14, 2011 3:27:35 PM

I had an Xbox 360 remote that my wife used sometimes that would shut down my PC and whatnot lol. I was ready to rip apart my whole PC or reformat or something...

I have no real suggestion as to why your laptop would turn on like that though.

As for the fans spinning - some motherboards have a few different power options when they are in standby mode... Some let you charge using the USB ports... some have LEDs etc. I'd check out any Windows software that came with your motherboard, and also your BIOS power options. I've got that same motherboard, and it is really annoying (that default boot checkup thing...etc).
m
l
June 14, 2011 10:19:06 PM

Wow, an xbox 360 remote that shuts down your computer huh. It must have frustrated you to no end until you figure it was the xbox remote that is triggering your computer shutdown. Thanks for sharing that Jasonw223. I will check my power setting and BIOS power option to see if there are any settings that might have cause this issue I am having.

My computer fan and LED do shutdown though when I shutdown my laptop after the auto start. Did anyone ever experience this before? Any solutions or similar occurrence and solution would be appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
!