Bios does not detect drives after swapping SATA cables

vlsi99

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello,

I am been having this problem when I disconnect HDD's or I move the SSD from one SATA driver to another.

If I disconnect a HDD, somethimes another drive is not longer detected by the BIOS or OS. However, if I move the cable from the one I disconnected to the HDD that wasn't detected, then the HDD gets detected.

It seem like the bios has a memory of certain configuration.

For instance , I removed A HDD (second on the list) and my SSD was not longer detected. I swapped the cable of my SSD and now my SSD is detected.
There are many examples of moving drives where HDD detection does not happen.

I have 2 HDD in raid 1 mode, the chipset does not allow setting individual drives into RAID mode so once you set it to RAID , it applies to all drives.

My question is , is there something I need to do (clear CMOS or something) to move drives around without swapping cables and losing drives?

thank you

System:
WIN 7 x64
MB Z77 Ausus V pro, Setup in RAID mode
4 HDD, 1 SSD

vlsi99

Honorable
May 29, 2012
UPDATE :
I experimented by clearing the CMOS memory and now my HDD or SSD gets detected on any SATA drive.

I am surprise that none responded yet but someone can confirm that the allocation of HDD to SATA drives is stored and you need to clear the CMOS every time you remove or move one disk to another SATA drive? Or did I get lucky? Is this a well know fact to members of this forum.. sorry kind of newbie

thank you

vlsi99

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Didn't anybody encounter this before? I just want to know if I am correct about the CMOS issue or there is some other problem that I need to address.

thank you

dpbrolly

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
by removing the ram's........ i remove 1 and run da omputer with da other for a few min... then i insert da other again... if it still doesnt detect then remove both of da rams and swap them..... doing this should be able to detect the hdd

vlsi99

Honorable
May 29, 2012
It seems that we are both shooting in the dark.

There is anyone that can explain this behavior of moving drives around and then they are not longer detected by the BIOS?

thanks

Windows 7 DETECTS the drives, after the computer starts up with an operating system.
Click start, click COMPUTER, right click on "computer", left click properties, left click device manager, right click on "disk drives", left click on: "scan for hardware changes." After scanning for changes, the drive should be detected...

vlsi99

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Windows 7 DETECTS the drives, after the computer starts up with an operating system.
Click start, click COMPUTER, right click on "computer", left click properties, left click device manager, right click on "disk drives", left click on: "scan for hardware changes." After scanning for changes, the drive should be detected...

This will true if WIN 7 booted. The case on my sample above (SSD) was the OS drive. Unless I plug the other cable to the SSD, the system does not boot. In the Bios , the SSD is not longer listed as a boot option.

Specifically , I have the 2 SATA 3 ports, one to a SSD with OS installed and one to a data HDD. If I disconnect the HDD, the system does not boot "UNLESS" I take the cable from the HDD and plug the SSD. If I put the HDD and SSD with the original ports, everything works.

So you are saying that the CMOS memory does not keep track of the ports of the drives?

I did not try this in ACHI mode since my systems uses RAID, but I confused why can't I just plug and unplug drive without issue.

thanks

amb2012

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Hi Vlsi99

I'm having the same issue. Windows 7 64 bit (Dell Dimension 518 from 2009). I have a WD HDD (my OS boot drive), a Seagate HDD (data only) and a DVDROM drive. Everything was great until I tried to install an OCZ 120gb vertex SSD. All i did was remove the Sata cables and then plugged in the SSD. The system couldn't even boot up (step 1 of the SSD was to apply a new firmware as a secondary drive..I couldn't even do that). On Boot up the screen listed 4 SATA ports and only 2 of them had a status of "Installed" (my DVDROM and the Seagate Data HDD). So I removed the SSD and made sure all the sata and power cables were setup exactly the same as before I tried to install the SSD. ...nothing... the motherboard is not detecting the WD HDD (boot drive)..it's not showing up in the BIOS.

I will try refreshing the CMOS...i think you are supposed to pull the battery and invert it or something..need to find out how to do this.

I'm hoping you were able to fix this and could enlighten us on what you did.

Amb