Should i trust a shopkeeper ?

blabla21

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Well, today i was looking to buy myself monitor and wanted to ask shopkeeper about i5 2500K and Phenom II X4 955 how much is the big difference between those 2.
He told me they were big, but it depends on what will i use my new PC that i will buy.
No matter for what i will use it, he said the difference is VERY BIG.
But then i told him i will only do gaming, but not much since i must focus on my school.
But then he said that i should still take i5 2500K AND a good motherboard for it and to i take some weak GPU so later in few years i wouldn't have problems with changing a CPU but then i should sell the GPU so i would have money to buy better.
But i was thinking if i go with AMD Phenom II X4 955 AND some motherboard that has AM3+ Platform, and some good modern GPU so that when in few years i would only change CPU to Bulldozer and keep my GPU.
I thought the shopkeeper said that only to get more money, but i don't know.
So what do you guys think i should do ?
Thanks

So am I to understand your budget allows i5 + lower GPU or X4 + higher GPU? If so, the latter option is better for gaming. The former should be better for productivity, though that's pretty software-dependent.

typo dammit

blabla21

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Thanks
Anyone else ?

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I agree. An i5-2500K gaming system would be better, but to get a gaming system now on the budget you're talking about, and older CPU with a better GPU is the way forward.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
I wouldn't suggest an i3-2100 as id try and stick with a quad-core CPU. They seem to be having more and more effect on newer games utilising more CPU power.

Its also not really worth shelling out more money for an i5-2500k if you cant afford a reasonably good GPU to go with it, this will only hinder gaming performance.

x4 955 and a good GPU would be the best option i think.

Just for reference, what kind of budget are you on for CPU+GPU? (what country are you buying in)
What do you class as a good GPU and a Lower GPU?

i agree, while the i3 2100 is faster at games that only use 2 cores, most newly released games use 4 cores quite well and the phenom 955 may be slightly faster, especially considering you can overclock it, you cant overclock the i3. at stock clocks though, the i3 2100 is faster overall for gaming.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
You will save ~$100.00 going with the AMD which gives you lots of room for a much better GPU. AMD also has hyper threading and the 2500K doesn't. X4 955 o/c's well but I would suggest an after market cooler.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Need a rough idea of the overall budget to be spent on CPU+GPU in order to make some good suggestions.

It could be that the OP was going to run i5-2500k with 570 or x4 955 with 580, in which case id be suggesting the i5 :)

Still, depending on resolution and the game it could go either way I think...