Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What's the point of an APU if you have a graphics card

Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 9, 2011 9:30:51 AM

Will make a new gaming rig when I see PCIe3.0 videocards pop out on the market and will either end up with an AMD bulldozer or i7 (ivy bridge or whatever they have out at the time).

I already know the purpose of a GPU and it's importance (why my x2GPU HD5970 still gives better frames then a single HD6970 GPU would).

But what is the purpose of an APU when you have a high-end card like that? Can they work together or what?


Please educate me, thank you in advance.

Best solution

a c 83 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 9:58:20 AM

There is no reason to have an APU if your using a high end graphics configuration. AMD's current APUs are nothing but over priced and slower Athlon II processors if you don't use the included GPU. Currently they're great for low power consumption and more budget oriented low end builds, but the APUs aren't for the high end.

You can pair the GPU that is built into the APU with a 6450, 6570, or 6670, but the crossfire performance between them is really bugged and you actually loose performance in some titles. Still won't compare to a decent discrete card anyways.

Basically APU = a great budget platform
Share
a b à CPUs
September 9, 2011 10:02:35 AM

+1 loneninja.

The APU is also good for HTPCs (although the 100W TDP is a bit high for my liking, the 65W TDP will be perfect when it's released.)

Re PCIe 3.0, the opinion is that it's not going to be used for graphics just yet. PCIe 2.0 is doing really well with graphics as it is, and not even the most powerful GPUs saturate the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth just yet. PCIe 3.0 might very well be used for SSDs that connect through PCIe before they're used for GPUs. Whilst PCIe 3.0 will in all likelihood be used for GPUs in the future, you might be waiting a while if your plan is to base a rig around one.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 471 à CPUs
a c 358 U Graphics card
September 10, 2011 2:34:28 AM

It's only good if you want to build a low cost system.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 2:44:54 AM

loneninja said:
There is no reason to have an APU if your using a high end graphics configuration. AMD's current APUs are nothing but over priced and slower Athlon II processors if you don't use the included GPU. Currently they're great for low power consumption and more budget oriented low end builds, but the APUs aren't for the high end.

You can pair the GPU that is built into the APU with a 6450, 6570, or 6670, but the crossfire performance between them is really bugged and you actually loose performance in some titles. Still won't compare to a decent discrete card anyways.

Basically APU = a great budget platform


Overpriced? That's a lie. None of them are even $200 and the A$ dual cores are under $100.

To the question, the APU is still the CPU part so you need it.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 3:47:22 AM

Quote:
To the question, the APU is still the CPU part so you need it.


That wasn't the question AT ALL. Loneninja already answered it, thank you ninja.

Besides I already knew a APU is a combination of CPU and GPU. Just don't see the point of the 'bad' GPU for people with one or more high-end videocards in their rig.
Also know that intels sandybridge actually are APUs even tho they don't advertise it but some models come with better GPUs then others. Thankfully now I know that the spec of their GPUs, don't apply to me. So now I can focus on the CPU statistics only and get more value for my money.
m
0
l
September 10, 2011 3:49:36 AM

Best answer selected by irlwizard.
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 10:19:03 PM

Actually the APU is different from what you might think. High end gfx cards or not it is still using the gpu on the chip for complicated math calcs like floating points and geometry since we ALL know lol that cpu's are horrible at this. So reguardless it is an added advantage and given enough time it will be the standard. This gpu/cpu combo is constantly in use and is only going to get better.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2014 10:36:06 PM

jbollinger0 said:
Actually the APU is different from what you might think. High end gfx cards or not it is still using the gpu on the chip for complicated math calcs like floating points and geometry since we ALL know lol that cpu's are horrible at this.


That's not accurate at all. CPUs are the fastest for floating point math. The issue is that they do one instruction at a time. GPUs are slower but they can do several math operations in parallel. The only way the APU could take advantage of the iGPU is by say offloading the SIMD math to the GPU, but I haven't heard of such thing yet. Regardless, benchmarks show that for pure CPU bound tasks, the quad-core APUs are about in the same tier with previous generation Core i3s. For graphics stuff, they're faster than CPUs with Intel HD graphics and so APUs make sense for light gaming. But even a cheap graphics card will slaughter the APUs, so there is really not much point in APUs if you have an dedicated graphics card.
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 4:14:34 PM

jacobian said:
jbollinger0 said:
Actually the APU is different from what you might think. High end gfx cards or not it is still using the gpu on the chip for complicated math calcs like floating points and geometry since we ALL know lol that cpu's are horrible at this.


That's not accurate at all. CPUs are the fastest for floating point math. The issue is that they do one instruction at a time. GPUs are slower but they can do several math operations in parallel. The only way the APU could take advantage of the iGPU is by say offloading the SIMD math to the GPU, but I haven't heard of such thing yet. Regardless, benchmarks show that for pure CPU bound tasks, the quad-core APUs are about in the same tier with previous generation Core i3s. For graphics stuff, they're faster than CPUs with Intel HD graphics and so APUs make sense for light gaming. But even a cheap graphics card will slaughter the APUs, so there is really not much point in APUs if you have an dedicated graphics card.


Your right heres the link i got the info from I miss read it sry. It also read that the A10 can now share the tasks of applications between the cpu and gpu. HSA is coming right along. They are integrating the sound in them as well.

http://superuser.com/questions/308771/why-are-we-still-...

m
0
l
!