Sign in with
Your question

Questions about ASUS Crosshair V Formula, Socket-AM3+

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2012 6:34:47 PM

I have a ASUS Crosshair V Formula, Socket-AM3+ and I was wondering simply if its possible for me to run a nVidia graphics card?
I've checked on the site where I bought the motherboard but it doesnt say.

Thanks in advance.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 6:51:28 PM

yes, it can. Even 3-way nvidia SLI.

If you want a nvidia card, go for it.
May 29, 2012 6:55:28 PM

Thank you!
I've been having so much problems recently with my Radeon 6870 (Mostly Catalyst drivers being derpy) that I'm considering changing to nVidia.
I'm a little new to the computer stuff so I was unsure if I could or if I had to get a new motherboard/processor and everything else xD
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 29, 2012 7:05:12 PM

Try installing new driver. I am using catalyst 12.4 without having any problem.

Your 6870 is very good for now @ 1920x1080. Consider it for another 6 month or more than go for a hole new rig and a good nvidia card.

May 29, 2012 7:15:57 PM

Well.. I just posted this in another thread called ''Not showing I updated to 12.4 Catalyst.'';

''I'm also having the same problem ever since I updated to 12.3.
Several of my games refuse to start and I recently got BF3 from a friend and I got to play about 20 minutes alltogether tho crashing about 6-7 times and having to do like ghosty87.
Turning down the in game graphics to medium didnt help either.

I've tried upgrading several times to 12.4 but it wont work. Even going back to 12.2, which for me was very stable doesnt work either.
I've also tried to contact AMD but I havent gotten a reply yet.

I'm semi considering going over to nVidia as most my computer savvy friends have that and hasnt uttered any problems about it, whilst I'm stuck not being able to play the games I and others have spent money on.. which rather really sucks ~_~

I have a Radeon HD 6870 card.''

The Catalyst Control Center wont even show that I've updated even tho I've gone through the updating process, restarting doesnt help either. :/ 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2012 9:40:25 AM

Try check your 6870 in your friends pc. If the same problem exist then it maybe the card/driver. Do you experience any BSOD?

Also you can have a fresh installation os and install new driver freshly. This will help with driver problem.

Before replacing a 6870 with new card, give a hard try. It is still a powerful gpu.
May 30, 2012 11:34:29 AM

My computer altogether isn't even a year old, maybe 7-8 months. xD
I haven't experienced any BSOD, thankfully, and I'm planning on having a friend check it out next weekend.
I'm still very new to having a stationary so I guess I'm a little chicken on certain things, meaning I don't really want to try to re-install win7 considering I've never done that x.x
I'm happy with my screen card, tho I wish the drivers could've been a little more... co-operative.
Tho thanks for the quick replies, really helpful!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2012 5:53:43 PM

If you dont want re-install, then try it on your friends pc. Then it will be clear. Many pepole run 6870 with out having problem. I hope you get rid of driver problem and enjoy 6870 until it obsolete.
!