Sign in with
Your question

Hi! First custom-built mid-level PC, what could I have done different?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2011 4:01:28 PM

Hi, I recently just got a job in the videogame design industry and I am looking to further my skills in graphic design and development plus I love me some gaming so I built this rig on CyberPower.com and I just wanted to see what people thought of it and, if I could do things differently, what I should have done.

I was going for a mid-range, quieter, long-term gaming/work/life PC (as this is my first custom build and I'm a recent college-grad so I'm a little strapped for $$$). Anyways, it ended up costing $1,354 with $113 in taxes (I'm from California) and $75 in shipping. I checked the cost of all of the individual components thoroughly and I think I did pretty well for myself, what do you guys think? Thanks!

CyberPower X58 Configurator (NO MONITOR)
CFGI7Z, http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system [...] nfigurator
*BASE_PRICE: [+869]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+38] (BlackColor [+0])
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+3] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FA_HDD: None
FAN: * Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor) [+13]
FLASHMEDIA: None
GLASSES: None
HDD: 1.5TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+20] (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
KEYBOARD: * Thermaltake eSports Challenger Gaming Keyboard Black [+33]
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI [+24]
MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor [+0]
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M [+83]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VC_PHYSX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+118] (HIS IceQ X Powered by AMD [+28])
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None

More about : custom built mid level

June 14, 2011 4:10:13 PM

yikes, that price didnt even include windows. this is really the kind of question you should ask before you buy. its a pretty good computer, but not for the price.
June 14, 2011 4:34:43 PM

I'll second Genghis' opinion. You overspent on the first generation i7 and could have gotten a lot more bang for the buck with a (2nd gen) Sandybridge rig. You have no SATA 3 (6.0 GBps) no USB 3, no SSD. The 6850 is a decent GPU, but you could have had the 6950 for a rig at that cost.

I hope that you enjoy your rig, but prebuilt rigs come at a premium.
June 14, 2011 4:37:31 PM

genghiskron said:
yikes, that price didnt even include windows. this is really the kind of question you should ask before you buy. its a pretty good computer, but not for the price.

Well I didn't trust my ability to build a new PC to be honest and the prices for the components totaled out from Newegg and Amazon to be like 1000 at least anyways so I don't see how I wasted a ton of money personally, but could you tell me what you would have done/bought differently and how it would have been cheaper/better? Thanks!
June 14, 2011 4:44:07 PM

chesteracorgi said:
I'll second Genghis' opinion. You overspent on the first generation i7 and could have gotten a lot more bang for the buck with a (2nd gen) Sandybridge rig. You have no SATA 3 (6.0 GBps) no USB 3, no SSD. The 6850 is a decent GPU, but you could have had the 6950 for a rig at that cost.

I hope that you enjoy your rig, but prebuilt rigs come at a premium.

I was reading all over online with people saying that with the Sabertooth motherboard people were having problems with SATA 3 drives and that SATA 2 drives can actually be better for some applications (AutoCAD, indexing, etc.) I know that is all internet hearsay, but I read it on a lot more than 1 or two sites so I trusted that. And since I'm not worried about doing the absolute most bleeding edge gaming pc and need this for doing design and animation work as well, I opted for the more powerful I7 that I heard handled it better than the I5 does, though I know the I5, with the Sandybridge, can definitely handle games better.

For the GPU, the 6950 is going for 274 on Newegg right now and the 6850, a year older, is going for a hundo less so I thought that was a better deal as well with similar performance at least according to benchmarks.

I know that going through Cyberpower had some inherent risks, but building the rig myself would almost certainly have fucked my build as my skills are at beginner level for sure and I've only ever swapped out graphics cards before in builds, nothing more.
June 14, 2011 5:07:55 PM

I've just done a quick adding up on newegg and it came to ~$1070, now with a bit of shopping around and picking up bundles, you could probably of got the same machine for <$1000...
!