Sign in with
Your question

GTX 485m worth the extra cost?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2011 12:56:58 AM

So I want to get myself a gaming laptop. I play mostly SC2 and WOW right now (I know, super demanding games right?) and most definitely plan on getting Diablo 3 when it comes out. Ive been using "just good enough" systems for a long time and would really like to get myself something a bit better than average for once, so I could one day play some more graphic rich games. Id also like to have a laptop that will keep up for awhile after purchase.

I defintely want a 2nd gen i7.

I notice when i configure laptops for the gtx 460m, i'm very comfortable with the price. When i configure with the gtx 485m, i start to feel a little uneasy. I've heard great things about the 460m, but then i hear about the 485 being a total beast.

So, would it be worth it? (its about $450 more) or the 485, or would the 460m do the trick?
(I would like do play more games, but Blizzard's games (SC2, WOW, and Diablo 3 are most important)

April 1, 2011 2:56:12 AM

Also, i know desktops are much better for gaming and cheaper but i need it to be portable.
m
l
April 9, 2011 4:00:44 PM

I to am in the same situation are haha. My budget was $1000 but I had to move it up to the $1200 range for a better GPU. The gtx 460m should be able to run those games on high/ultra quality. Yes the 485 is a lot better but you don't really need it at this point if you are going to be playing those games, it would just be a waste of gpu and money. I'm not an expert on graphics cards but I am getting the gtx 460m so I can play rift on high/ultra graphics which requires 2x's the amount of ram, gpu and processor than wow. From what I have heard rift is easily palyable on ultra settings with the 460m. I'm getting the sager np8130 from xoticpc.com, its not a flashy laptop but it comes with 8gb of ram that you can upgrade to 16gb, a 2nd gen i7 processor that is upgradable and the gtx 460m 1.5gb. I have been searching around the net and this is the cheapest/best laptop for its price. Its starts around $1200. Also here are the benchmarks for the gtx 460m and the 485 and just about everything inbetween.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-G...
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 2:43:56 AM

^Eh, Sagers and Clevos (and their countless rebrandings) just have that extra smidgen of specialness in higher end gaming laptops.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 3:07:34 AM

Quote:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4223/eurocom-racer-radeon...

^2100 for lappy that gives you a hour of mobile gaming no way. It doesn't end there to have just a ram upgrade of 2gb you pay 4x times more than you would online. Asus jobbies are bang for buck doesn't cost a fortune

Clevos and Sagers (in general) are like the EE CPUs on intels lineup; overpriced, outrageous, bragging rights. Even Alienware isn't crazy enough to shove 2 GTX485M's/6950Ms in SLI/CF and have SBs out right after launch.

Asus are like Sandy bridges now; smart, sensible, affordable. But in the end its still a modest mass market product with mediocre specs that just cant match the "coolness" of the Clevos/Sagers.

(On the RAM, I would suppose that most of the people looking for such laptops should be comfortable with upgrading things themselves so its a non-issue. :p )
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 3:20:02 AM

lol. Nice to know, but there are people out there that's willing to shell out disproportionate amounts of money for a mere 5% increase.

FYI, Westmere is the 32nm shrink fo Nehalem, the quad-core mobiles were straight up Nehalems. And quit making your 2600K sad, the 2920XM is its favorite cousin XD.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 3:43:43 AM

Quote:
Westmere is the hexacore ones. They give you 45min of battery power lol

Westmere is the umbrella term for all 32nm Nehalem die-shrinks, including Arrandale and the six core Gulftowns. Intel switched naming strategies lately though, and stopped giving individual sub-code names.

On that MSI, only $1500 with a 1080P screen. Nice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:35:57 AM

The Sager np8130 is the best deal you can go with. it has the 2 gen i7 and the gtx 460m. You will be able to play on high graphics with that card for those games. Any laptop with a high end graphics card you are going to have low battery life the np8130 has 1-2 hours wich is decent for a gaming laptop. Dont expect to be walking around for 5 nhours gaming, it just doesnt work like that. If you really want a good machine though build your own desktop its much cheaper and they are pretty easy to build. I have actually decided to build one myself now. But if you want mobility that bad go with the sager. Its the cheapest for the best price.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:41:49 AM

Also If you would like to upgrade to the gtx 485 in the future for more gaming power, go with the sager 8150 It is one of the most upgradable laptops for its price. Its still the cheapest for its kind. The 8130 can not be upgraded to a higher end gpu at the moment because the mobo and power supply cannot handle that kind of power. Its best to go with the 8150 if you know you will upgrade in a few years but if you are on a strict budget stay with the 8130.
m
l
May 26, 2011 10:53:17 PM

b-dub92 said:
Also If you would like to upgrade to the gtx 485 in the future for more gaming power, go with the sager 8150 It is one of the most upgradable laptops for its price. Its still the cheapest for its kind. The 8130 can not be upgraded to a higher end gpu at the moment because the mobo and power supply cannot handle that kind of power. Its best to go with the 8150 if you know you will upgrade in a few years but if you are on a strict budget stay with the 8130.

I can't find the specific link but someone in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo-reviews-own...

has confirmed that they put a 485m in the np8130. They may have needed to change the powerbrick but nothing else. The difference between the 8130 and the 8150 (rubberized like the Ausus) is the finish, the power brick, and the stock screen. And most people who review them prefer the 8130's stock screen. (Which is a Matte finish.)
m
l
!