What to upgrade?

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I want to upgrade my system but I'm not sure what I should replace.

What do you think is the weakest part in my system?
I mainly play games on my computer.

OS
Windows 7

Mainboard
Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI

CPU
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 950 @ 3.07GHz

RAM
Crucial Technology DDR3 2048 MBytes x3

GFX
Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Basically I am asking what I would have to replace to get the biggest improvement in fps.

That would depend on whether the games you play are gpu or cpu dependant really,
although I would say psu>gfx card>Mobo and chip in that order of replacement priority
**Edit, although the gfx will go into a new z68 plate with a sb 2500k obviously if you wanted to go mobo/chip first**
Moto

I suggested the way I would have upgraded it,
but I respect that you may choose to upgrade the Mobo and chip first to a Sandy bridge setup
only way to check your psu is open the case and check out the label, all but the very cheapest have a ratings label which will inform you as to the output voltages
but yes, i placed the psu first for that very reason
Moto

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Read this article to find out about your GPU. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

The GTX 560 ti generally pulls the same or less power as the GTX 460. But if your PSU is less than 500W you should upgrade. For discrete graphics I prefer at least 600W. Always go with a good quality PSU, because poor PSUs will kill your rig.

I think that, unless you are out to rebuild your rig, you CPU/mobo are OK. They are not a powerful as the Sandybridge i5 2500K, but the GPU and PSU are the prime candidates for upgrade if you want more FPS.

You wont technically get more fps from upgrading the psu,
but the graphics card will be well fed=Happy gfx card not struggling and stuttering due to power dips, more smooth gameplay overall
and although it is certainly overkill in some cases, I dont build with less than 600W either
Moto

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I opened up the case and looked at the PSU. I haven't found any code or 'Watt' anywhere. All I see is a small sticker with Volt, AC etc which isn't what it says on that website you linked. How else do I find out if the PSU is good enough?
The case is from Cooler Master and I heard they're a good company so shouldn't my PSU be from there too?

Not necessarily,
a lot of prebuild vendors use high end cases then temper the cost with cheap psu's,ram and drives,
if you cant find anything else on it (can you post a pic of said label for us?)
I'm inclined to think its a cheap unit and as such wouldn't trust a new build to it
Moto

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Well okay I'll do that later.
Right now I only know that the case is the Cooler Master Gladiator 600.
I'll edit this post later and post pics of the label.

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I saw that PSU's from Cooler Master have their logo on them and came to the conclusion that my PSU is most likely some no name PSU.
Considering someone saying that bad PSUs have an effect on GPUs I decided to upgrade the PSU anyway.

How much watt should the PSU have and can someone recommend a brand?
I want it to have enough so I don't have to upgrade it for at least 5 years.

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
When I said I want to use it for the 5 years I meant that in case I upgraded to newer components I still want to be able to use the PSU and the one you linked has only 500 and it says it's for medium range PC's which makes me feel it's not going to be enough for better gear?

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I'm going to buy the one from Scan.co.uk, I like the fact it's 'modular' which will improve the air flow and that'll keep it cooler right?

Meh, by tiny amounts, with any psu/case you can use some cable management to help clear the airpaths but you will only use the cables you need obviously so less cables to hide :)
I'd go modular on my latest build but I'm ocd and the modular doesn't fit my plans :p
but the Tx or the Hx will last you into your next build and possibly be ok for the one after, I think I saw a 7 year warranty on that? :)
Moto

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Don't confused me so much, what's OCD?
It feels like you are saying that the modular one is worse than non-modular and won't last as many years..?

No no no, lol ocd is obsessive compulsive disorder, its a way of saying I'm very fussy :)
Both of them would be fine, its just one has removable cables, and a 7 year warranty speaks volumes about the confidence they have in their product
Moto