oddbodx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hi There,

I'm currently putting together a shopping list for a new PC, and having a little trouble over the power supply.

Here's what I'll be running:

Either i3 2100 or i5 2500k (2500k if I can afford it!)
P8P67 PRO Motherboard
IF i5 2500k, Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 cooler (as will be overclocking)
8GB 1600Mhz RAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Mostly likely a single HD6850. with possibility for x-fire in the future

I'm trying to keep my total budget to about £450. I know the PSU is one of the most important components and one area you shouldn't skimp! But can anyone recommend a cheap, yet well built unit that will satisfy my needs and provide the options to upgrade to 2 x HD 6850 in the future?

I was intending to go with the Coolermaster GX 550, as ebuyer have an offer on that PSU with the Coolermaster Centurion 5 II case (£80 for the two), and it's specifically intended for dual graphics solutions. However on reading up people don't seem to have a very high opinion of Coolermasters PSU's... although the direct reviews of that particular unit I read were very good, stable voltages, 80+ certified etc.

I'm no expert so any help here would be greatly appreciated - also looking at the system, are there any parts would you recommend need downgrading / upgrading to get the best 'bang for buck' at this price range? I'm looking to use the PC for gaming so want the best quality/performance I can get. I run my games at 1360x768 on one monitor, with windows desktop on another.

if you want to xfire a 6850 you dont need a 750-850w psu. a 600w+ quality psu is what you want. Dont get coolermaster, get either Antec, Corsair, Seasonic or XFX. PC Power and Pooling have some good psu's out with 7 year warranty also.

oddbodx

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Thanks all, yeah thought that sounded a little high - also at £90 was going to be out of my price range but thanks anyway (already going to have to use ebay for some components such as mobo, to stay anywhere near my price range! :) ).

Did also look at the Seasonic, but from what I can see it comes shipped with only a single 6 pin connector - will it definitely run 2 x HD 6850?