Sign in with
Your question

Need help building a computer!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 1, 2011 2:04:38 AM

So this is going to be my first PC build. I want to build a machine mainly for FSX and media (i.e., blu-ray movies, video editing...).

I understand the FSX is CPU limited, so I have concerns about what processor to buy and whether I should overclock. I'm also very picky about graphics. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I can see myself playing more in the future and it would be nice to have a good graphics card.

I also don't know whether I should go nvidia or ati.
One last thing, is it better to buy from newegg or cyberpower? I've heard numerous good/bad stories concerning each.

If anyone could help that would be great!!
Oh and an ideal budget is somewhere around $1500

Thanks!!

More about : building computer

April 1, 2011 2:36:10 AM

Welcome!! Since this is your first build i would recommend that you start doing some research and learn everything you can, if you haven't already.. Personally, i have had only good luck with newegg but, as you said, some peoples' experiences mite be different. I've never bought anything from CyberPower, so i cant really say much about them personally. Have you decided on what kind of build you would like to do(Intel/AMD)? Also, do you already have a HD display? There are some very knowledgeable people here, so i'm sure we'll be able to help you with your build!!!
m
l
April 1, 2011 3:40:25 AM

Fast response. Sweet!

Yeah I've actually done quite a bit of research. I'm leaning towards intel. I honestly don't know much about AMD, but I hear that for overclocking intel is a better choice.

I do have a view sonic VX2433 hd monitor. It works great and I'm currently using it for a second display for my macbook and apple tv.

The reason I ask about newegg and cyberpower is that my friend just bought parts from them for his first build and he's having problems with his machine. I don't know if he got a faulty part or it could be assembly error (most likely). Anyway, since this is my first build I want everything to work out. I really want to build the computer myself so I can learn more. I'm in no rush, so building it myself would be ideal.

I'm kinda stuck when it comes to motherboards...
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 1, 2011 4:07:51 AM

AMD is more value oriented while Intel or aka Greedtel is more for the performance high end. their low end however is price overinflated but that isn't new.

Personally I go with amd to save for other upgrades ect or just a better overall build. Those who usually roll with intel often lacking in storage due to high cost.

Tell us more about your needs and style. FSX is going to want at least a quad core and maybe a mid range ssd. 10k rpm drives are not worth it.
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:32:09 AM

Well I'm really looking for overall performance. I can show you guys a build I did on newegg.
I read that with these newer processors and if you want better performance overall you're going to to want to get an ssd.

This might be a little overboard for my first desktop, but here it is:

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
DIAMOND 6970PE52G Radeon HD 6970 2GB
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Corsair Nova Series CSSD-V64GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA
LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X
COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Card Reader
Storm Sniper Case

So I went overboard on the memory and graphics card. I probably don't need this particular motherboard either. The total cost is just under 2 grand. What can I do to get the cost down and keep the performance? And again, nvidia or ATI?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 1, 2011 1:24:20 PM

1366 board 1155 cpu, you need to research before you buy. That SB cpu only works in certain boards using the 1155 socket. So either go with something like a i7 920 or write off that board and go with 1155 platform.

Square peg round hole. o.O
m
l
April 1, 2011 5:59:36 PM

I clearly didn't research that. Performance wise is it better to go with the SB CPUs or the latest generation?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 1, 2011 6:13:07 PM

For media use that 6970 is overpriced in terms of basic gaming.
You can find a 460 or 5770 for around 100$ that does well in media streaming along with basic gaming. As well, ram doesn't need to be that high but I always support more ram due to it's cheap price now. Lowering you graphics card and PSU can save you some money while still giving you the performance you need (Unless you need to game on the highest settings and do it often).

I support AMD more than Intel as well and will be biased on it. I like Intel, but the price for a crossfire or SLI motherboard is incredibly different from an AM3 mobo. You can find an 80$ mobo for an AMD cpu, where a basic mobo for an intel cpu is 150$+ usually.
m
l
!