Sony 828

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 5, 2005 11:06:40 AM

Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the mark...On
that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on my next
purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...

--
____________________________
PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\

More about : sony 828

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 11:06:41 AM

I have one, and it's a wonderful camera. Yes, there is an issue with purple
fringing that appears in a small percentage of photos, but it is not a fatal
flaw, since it's easily fixable using a simple Photoshop plug-in. Of all the
8MP ZLRs, it's the best picture taking machine. Built-in IR mode, manual
zooming, very good AF, and excellent JPEGs straight from the camera. The
hinged body works very well, the lens is sharp, with great range, and it's
one of the few cameras that can focus, frame, and shoot in total darkness.
Yes, the Night Framing mode allows you to see your subject, frame, and focus
in total darkness. In short, the many, many advantages offered by this
camera more than outweigh the few problems. Sony may not replace this model,
since dropping DSLR prices may kill the ZLR market altogether.

BTW, when you find the perfect digicam, let me know.

"Patrick Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the mark...On
> that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on my next
> purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...
>
> --
> ____________________________
> PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\
> ================================
> A+ CERTIFIED TECH...........
> ______________________

March 5, 2005 12:24:31 PM

Patrick Boch wrote:
> Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the mark...On
> that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on my next
> purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...

What exactly was the damn great idea, that was not done better by other
similar models? I would have thought, also, that the inclusion of a CF
memory slot would have been a tacit admission of defeat in the memory
card battles.

QUOTE (dpreview)

Sony has clearly concentrated on giving digital camera owners the full
SLR experience without the need to carry multiple lenses. Performance
was on the whole very good, with fast startup times, short shutter
release lag and better than average focusing speed. From a feature set
point of view the F828 is strong although still not up with the likes of
Minolta's excellent DiMAGE A1 nor the Nikon Coolpix 5700.

It's a shame that Sony couldn't directly document that the 'Real color'
mode of the camera is actually mapped to a known color space (sYCC) and
perhaps even have provided the color profile for this color space so
that owners could make proper use of it.

Where the F828 starts to disappoint is image quality, many observers had
concerns about the very small pixel pitch of the camera's eight million
pixel sensor knowing that it would most likely lead to noisier images
but what we weren't prepared for were chromatic aberrations. This came
as a surprise especially considering the F828's lens carries not only
the Carl Zeiss name but also the 'T*' notation indicating the use of
special lens coatings. So in reality the F828's biggest issue becomes
chromatic aberrations, with noise a second place.

Throughout the latter part of writing this review I had an 'Above
Average' rating fixed in my mind, higher than average noise at ISO 100,
the green hue shift issue and the chromatic aberrations problem
dominating the final conclusion.

However after going back through the advantages the camera offers, the
extra resolution, the ability to produce very good images with a little
experience, the flexibility of the lens (wide angle, reach, fast maximum
aperture, mechanical zoom), the improved build quality and feature set
the DSC-F828 just scraped through to a Recommended rating. (That said I
am still on the edge of an 'Above Average' rating).

Recommended
(only Above Average for the inexperienced user)
March 5, 2005 2:01:23 PM

The best use I have found for the 828 is to have the filter that blocks IR
removed and replaced with good clear optical glass and use it for IR
photography. It shines in that aspect.

Greg
"Patrick Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the mark...On
> that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on my next
> purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...
>
> --
> ____________________________
> PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\
> ================================
> A+ CERTIFIED TECH...........
> ______________________

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 5:11:59 PM

There is no perfect camera, yes its very well built...But image noise is
high, no excuse for any camera to be like that-limited manual shooting,
small buffer, nasty chromatic aberration, more noise than my old Nikon 5700,
over line sharpening, No user settings, yep I asked a lot...And I've tested
all in its class....(8MP).... If Olympus can keep the Noise low in the
8080...So can they...Plain and simple, the picture quality..Is way below
par.

--
_________________-
BOCH
"TAFKAB" <TheArtist@FormerlyKnownAs.Bowser> wrote in message
>I have one, and it's a wonderful camera. Yes, there is an issue with purple
>fringing that appears in a small percentage of photos, but it is not a
>fatal flaw, since it's easily fixable using a simple Photoshop plug-in. Of
>all the 8MP ZLRs, it's the best picture taking machine. Built-in IR mode,
>manual zooming, very good AF, and excellent JPEGs straight from the camera.
>The hinged body works very well, the lens is sharp, with great range, and
>it's one of the few cameras that can focus, frame, and shoot in total
>darkness. Yes, the Night Framing mode allows you to see your subject,
>frame, and focus in total darkness. In short, the many, many advantages
>offered by this camera more than outweigh the few problems. Sony may not
>replace this model, since dropping DSLR prices may kill the ZLR market
>altogether.
>
> BTW, when you find the perfect digicam, let me know.
>
> "Patrick Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the
>> mark...On that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on
>> my next purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...
>>
>> --
>> ____________________________
>> PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\
>> ================================
>> A+ CERTIFIED TECH...........
>> ______________________

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:24:24 PM

"Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p 6jWd.9662$3t3.7236@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> There is no perfect camera, yes its very well built...But image noise is
> high, no excuse for any camera to be like that-limited manual shooting,
> small buffer, nasty chromatic aberration, more noise than my old Nikon
> 5700, over line sharpening, No user settings, yep I asked a lot...And I've
> tested all in its class....(8MP).... If Olympus can keep the Noise low in
> the 8080...So can they...Plain and simple, the picture quality..Is way
> below par.

Funny, I compared the Oly and the Sony, and found that the Oly had higher
noise up to ISO 200. Just curious, what limits are there on manual shooting?
It has a full manual mode.

The CA/PF is high in some situations, but easily correctable. What I didn't
like on the others was that the fatal flaws were not correctable at all:
absolutely useless AF and horrible zoom controls! Some, like the Canon Pro
1, simply could achieve focus in some very easy situations. The only camera
(8MP ZLR) that acted like a real camera was the KM A2 and the Sony. The Oly
has a nice lens, but failed as a picture taking machine due to very poor AF
and abysmally slow response times. Pretty much useless for me.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you choose.

> --
> _________________-
> BOCH
> ________________
> A+TECH
> _________
> "TAFKAB" <TheArtist@FormerlyKnownAs.Bowser> wrote in message
>>I have one, and it's a wonderful camera. Yes, there is an issue with
>>purple fringing that appears in a small percentage of photos, but it is
>>not a fatal flaw, since it's easily fixable using a simple Photoshop
>>plug-in. Of all the 8MP ZLRs, it's the best picture taking machine.
>>Built-in IR mode, manual zooming, very good AF, and excellent JPEGs
>>straight from the camera. The hinged body works very well, the lens is
>>sharp, with great range, and it's one of the few cameras that can focus,
>>frame, and shoot in total darkness. Yes, the Night Framing mode allows you
>>to see your subject, frame, and focus in total darkness. In short, the
>>many, many advantages offered by this camera more than outweigh the few
>>problems. Sony may not replace this model, since dropping DSLR prices may
>>kill the ZLR market altogether.
>>
>> BTW, when you find the perfect digicam, let me know.
>>
>> "Patrick Boch" <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Any hints out there on the Sony 828 replacement? Sony missed the
>>> mark...On that model...but had a damn great idea.... I'm holding out on
>>> my next purchase....Thinking...They will replace this model...
>>>
>>> --
>>> ____________________________
>>> PATRICK//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\
>>> ================================
>>> A+ CERTIFIED TECH...........

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:25:13 PM

"grenner" <regencytr1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The best use I have found for the 828 is to have the filter that blocks
> IR removed and replaced with good clear optical glass and use it for IR
> photography. It shines in that aspect.

Sorry, but if that's the best you can do, you need to learn now to use it,
or how to properly post process some shots. It's a fine camera.

!