Processor wattage requirements

Mikehalc

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hello all. I am new to posting but have been a frequent visitor to the site for a while, especially ever since starting to build my new computer.

Well, in line with me being a rather neurotic person, I have found something out this morning about my newly built rig that has me quite a bit concerned. My motherboard is a MSI 760gm-p33 and my processor is a 125w AMD Phenom II x4 955. The computer seems to have been running quite well since my friend and I finished building it a month ago. It has handled daily gaming sessions with only a couple instances of slowdown.

This morning I found out that my MOBO doesn't actually support the 125W version of my processor. It is listed as supporting the 95W version. My questions are these: Am I going to burn out my processor or MOBO? Are there any effects right now because of this issue? ie, is my processor not actually going as fast as it should or could because of my error? I don't really have the option of replacing the MOBO right now because money is kind of an issue at this time. Would you suggest replacing the MOBO when I can or is the fact that it's working now evidence that it will be fine? I am not overclocking or anything like that because I figured that should be left to people who actually know what they are doing.

I really appreciate any insight you all can give to me about this. This is a great site and it seems to have great and knowledgeable people.

The cpu has a three year warranty if it's a retail boxed version; same for many msi boards. By then you'll want something newer. If you have a quality power supply that has adequate wattage for your total system load and don't overclock the cpu, then you may be ok. If you're still worried about it, then try selling it on your local craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. For a replacement, get an am3+ board for bulldozer which is due before the end of this year.

cdbular

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Hello
I am also concerned about this issue. Have you had any issue with your computer until now?. I have the same motherboard you have, and I can get an x4 965 for free.

Mikehalc

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Hi. To tell the truth, there has been no issues whatsoever. The computer is used everyday and for long stretches and is just tooting along like a champ. My temperature is staying at normal levels and everything seems golden. Hope this helps.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The processor wattage rating is the maximum power the processor can consume safely. It probably will never come close to that in daily use. That's why you have been able to run your system fine for all this time. If you are a gamer and stress your processor in high-end gaming however, the processor's wattage demand may exceed the wattage capabilities of the motherboard and cause the board to fail. This fail may present itself as simply a shut down or re-boot indicating you have a problem. Or it could present itself as damage to an electronic component such as a voltage regulator or something else. Best to keep usage to normal daily activities and avoid high stress usage until you replace the motherboard or the processor.