Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1200-ish gaming / work PC

Last response: in Systems
June 14, 2011 9:08:32 PM

$1200-ish GAMING / WORK PC

Approximate purchase date: next 2 weeks.

Budget range: $1200-ish US

System usage:

Gaming (WoW, Rift, etc.)
Work (Adobe CS5 Illustrator, Dreamwaver, etc.)
Misc. (web surfing, movie watching, etc.)

Parts not required: any other than those specified.

Preferred website for parts: http://www.newegg.com

Country of origin: Colombia

Overclocking: Yes (CPU / GPU)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 - 1920x1080

CPU: INTEL i5 2500k (BX80623I52500K)
MOBO: ASROCK P67 Extreme4 (B3)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 (F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM)
GPU: SAPPHIRE 6950 2gb (21188-00-40r / 100312SR)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 (HD103SJ)
PSU: CORSAIR TX750 V2 (CMPSU-750TXV2)
CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 (RC-922M-KKN1-GP)

Additional comments:

Not gonna be doing lots of video editing / transcoding, not really THAT interested in Z68's SSD Caching.

I know 750W might be too much if I'm not planning on dual GPU, but I do want to upgrade eventually adding at least one more HHD, plus more RAM and stuff, that's why I'm going for 750W instead of 650W.

Questions:

1. What do you think of the selected parts? Got recommendations?

2. Should I get an aftermarket CPU cooler or are the massive 200mm intake fans (front, top, side) enough to cool it down?

Thanks everyone in advance! :D 

More about : 1200 ish gaming work

Best solution

June 14, 2011 9:30:02 PM

If you don't plan to SLI a good 600-650W PSU is more than enough. Now, I would add a SSD in your build as long as a none reference GPU. I would choose a Twin Frozr III 560ti because when this card overclocks it's just dominating.....plus WoW works better with NVidia GPUS for some reason..
June 14, 2011 9:38:32 PM

michxymi said:
If you don't plan to SLI a good 600-650W PSU is more than enough. Now, I would add a SSD in your build as long as a none reference GPU. I would choose a Twin Frozr III 560ti because when this card overclocks it's just dominating.....plus WoW works better with NVidia GPUS for some reason..I will post my suggested build in a while!

I know 650W is more than enough if I'm staying with single GPU, but I do plan to upgrade eventually adding a couple more HDD, RAM, etc. The newegg PSU calculator says 650W would work... barely. That's why I'm going for 750W instead, I don't really feel confortable with "barely".

Also the reason I'm picking the 6950 ref is because I'm planning on flashing to 6970.

Thanks for the input! :D 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 15, 2011 6:06:20 AM

hey, dude... just coming over to check out your system per mine/your request. thanks.

first of all, VERY well organized and written. you look like you know what you want and need. i guess you are either verifying what you already know, or are just bragging. it's ok, we can do it all here. LOL

i am more of an AMD CPU guy and i see why you're turned on by the 2500:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=102
i'm going with the phenom II 965 black myself. it will do everything i need it to. i.e. games, video/GFX editing, 3D modeling.

I like to see you have the ASRock brand mobo. are you aware that ASrock is ASus's budget brand? - budget NOT in the "crap/garbage" line either!!! they have ALL the features of the high end asus boards at nearly half the price! i love it! getting asus equipment for biostar prices! (biostar is good too!) i was going to place my order THIS evening for my new rig and BAM!!! my board is out of stock today... i am REALLY bummed right now...
here is the board i would like to get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

overall your machine looks great, man. i know, you know, you'll be very happy with it.

so you're in South America huh? cool, man - i will visit soon - beautiful part of the world. tell us all... is it really like all the t.v. and video games??? drug lords rule and hot Brazillian women every where??!!

just kidding, man.

i am fairly new to tom's hardware and haven't found any way to add friends on this forum or i would add you as a friend. but then again, it's not a socialite type forum.

talk at cha, layderz, man

PEACE
m
l
June 15, 2011 11:55:55 AM

hehe yeah i know about asrock = asus. i like asrock better 'cause of the budget reasons and the reviews on the deluxe4 all over the web (praising the extreme4 as a rock on mobo for the price range).

btw it is indeed beautiful down here (at least everything that's green). lots of beautiful women, a couple drug lords here and there, but def. nothing like they tell you on movies and tv shows...

thanks a lot again for the valuable input majestic :) 
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:17:45 AM

Best answer selected by martinduque86.
m
l
!