Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel or AMD ?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Cooler Master
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 14, 2011 11:42:36 PM

I am about to buy a pc but i don´t know if it´s going to be Intel or AMD so here are the computers.


AMD

600W CoolerMaster Silent Pro
Super Talent DDR3-1333 8G
AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1090T
Seagate ST2000DL003 2T
MSI ATI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II OC 2GB
Asus M4A89GTD PRO Socket
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus

Intel

600W CoolerMaster Silent Pro
Super Talent DDR3-1333 8G
Intel core i7 2600k
Seagate ST2000DL003 2T
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX570
Asus P8P67-M PRO
CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus


Wich do you think is better and why? i know that the AMD is less expansive then the Intel. What would be the better choise for the money.Or should I change something?

More about : intel amd

June 14, 2011 11:49:59 PM

I say intel just because they more than likely give better performances...like the i5 2500k with the overclock potential. I have seen some arguments around here that AMD has the upperhand on GPU's in price/performance. So ummmm....intel based with AMD gpu maybe? Read some of the reviews and benchmarks on that stuff to give you a good idea. Or I'm sure within a day you will get a lot of feedback on this thread from people with so much knowledge that it makes it sometimes hard to understand.
m
0
l
June 14, 2011 11:59:59 PM

Intel/AMD(ATI) is the "better" option at this moment, the 2500K and 6950 offers a great balance of price/performance, especially with the 2500OCed and 6950 unlocked (If they still do)

Your builds are odd though, the slow HDD will severely impact the "usability" and I would highly recommend a Z68+SRT combo. a better PSU would be nice also.

What is your budget? Listing these specs doesn't necessarily tell us about your specific needs.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
June 15, 2011 12:01:00 AM

To keep it short and simple:

If you are on a strict budget AMD is the way to go - AMD shines on builds < $500.
If you need lots of cores on a budget AMD is the way to go.
If you are doing a build for gaming INTEL is the way to go i3 2100 > Phenom II X4 for games.
If you are building for maximum performance INTEL is the way to go i7 2600k > 1100T.

And as a rule of thumb unless you do video encoding or ray tracing or something other than gaming i7 2600k is just a waste of $100 go for the i5 2500k instead.

It's not that AMD is bad, it's just that INTEL seems to be better in most of the segments.

Well that's my 2 cents as listed above you'll probably get a dozen other answers :) 
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 12:40:47 AM

Timop said:
Intel/AMD(ATI) is the "better" option at this moment, the 2500K and 6950 offers a great balance of price/performance, especially with the 2500OCed and 6950 unlocked (If they still do)

Your builds are odd though, the slow HDD will severely impact the "usability" and I would highly recommend a Z68+SRT combo. a better PSU would be nice also.

What is your budget? Listing these specs doesn't necessarily tell us about your specific needs.


i don´t really have any budget, just i wanna get as best performance for the money.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 1:08:34 AM

davidkef said:
i don´t really have any budget, just i wanna get as best performance for the money.

Then a pair of these $130 5850s ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and a 955 OCed high-high could pretty much match the performance of the 2500K+6950 in many games, of course you are getting out of date tech and somewhat questionable longevity.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 1:09:55 AM

Timop said:
Intel/AMD(ATI) is the "better" option at this moment, the 2500K and 6950 offers a great balance of price/performance, especially with the 2500OCed and 6950 unlocked (If they still do)

Your builds are odd though, the slow HDD will severely impact the "usability" and I would highly recommend a Z68+SRT combo. a better PSU would be nice also.

What is your budget? Listing these specs doesn't necessarily tell us about your specific needs.


sorry to reply 2 times but my english is not that good i´m from iceland and i just want a good computer that i can use for gaming and stuff. I want the price to be as low as it can for a good performance.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 1:14:25 AM

Timop said:
Then a pair of these $130 5850s ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and a 955 OCed high-high could pretty much match the performance of the 2500K+6950 in many games, of course you are getting out of date tech and somewhat questionable longevity.

okei about what you said earlier you said i needed a better psu, what would recomand for me on a good price?
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 1:40:00 AM

Timop said:
Are you in the US? I totally disregard the possibility in the beginning, sorry :<.

If you are not, the Corsair TX-650 is a good PSU and should be pretty cheap (TX-750 if you want to OC or Crossfire/ TX-850 if you want to both).

If you are, the TX recommendation still stands, however there are two nice 900+Ws for only $110 AR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I´m in Iceland, thanks for all the advise you have given me. So i will definitely go with i5 2500k and corsair hx650 or 750 because i don´t think there is no place in iceland that sells corsair tx, so now i´m just thinking about the mobo would you recomand z68 and what kind of z68?, and you said ealier something about the sata i´m about to buy it´s to slow or something, I think ssd is 2 expansive for me and should i change the RAM or is it good? and i think i´m gonna go with the AMD 6950 what do you think?
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 2:06:23 AM

Intel all the way they are way faster and more power efficient now. I just can't wait to see the benches on the new Bulldozer CPUs
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
June 15, 2011 2:11:07 AM

There is no argument against Intel being the superior performer; none. And Bulldozer is still vaporware. BUT...either company's high-end CPUs can play any game well, where FPS is usually determined mostly by the GPU(s) used. Take a look at the features of the available chipsets. When it comes to #of PCIE lanes, #of SATA 6Gb/s ports, other simultaneously usable ports, etc; the new AMD 990FX chipset beats Intel's chipsets just as handily. Faced with this same choice myself, I chose AMD (build underway, Asus Sabertooth 990FX arrives tomorrow). The 990FX is very similar to the 890FX, but adds SLI and eventual Bulldozer support (all features, including the power states that 890FX won't support, even if a BIOS upgrade lets it run Bulldozer). OTOH, do NOT let me convince you to buy AMD (I'm not a fanboy) if raw CPU performance is most important to you, but consider carefully any chipset or lane limitations imposed by current Intel solutions.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 2:30:24 AM

Onus said:
There is no argument against Intel being the superior performer; none. And Bulldozer is still vaporware. BUT...either company's high-end CPUs can play any game well, where FPS is usually determined mostly by the GPU(s) used. Take a look at the features of the available chipsets. When it comes to #of PCIE lanes, #of SATA 6Gb/s ports, other simultaneously usable ports, etc; the new AMD 990FX chipset beats Intel's chipsets just as handily. Faced with this same choice myself, I chose AMD (build underway, Asus Sabertooth 990FX arrives tomorrow). The 990FX is very similar to the 890FX, but adds SLI and eventual Bulldozer support (all features, including the power states that 890FX won't support, even if a BIOS upgrade lets it run Bulldozer). OTOH, do NOT let me convince you to buy AMD (I'm not a fanboy) if raw CPU performance is most important to you, but consider carefully any chipset or lane limitations imposed by current Intel solutions.


I have been hearing something about the bullozer, but do you know when it comes out ?
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 2:42:53 AM

davidkef said:
I´m in Iceland, thanks for all the advise you have given me. So i will definitely go with i5 2500k and corsair hx650 or 750 because i don´t think there is no place in iceland that sells corsair tx, so now i´m just thinking about the mobo would you recomand z68 and what kind of z68?, and you said ealier something about the sata i´m about to buy it´s to slow or something, I think ssd is 2 expansive for me and should i change the RAM or is it good? and i think i´m gonna go with the AMD 6950 what do you think?

Since it appears you want crossfire/sli, a entry-mid range Z68 like the GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 should do fine.
Z68 supports SSD caching (Intel calls is SRT), which uses the SSD as sort of a swap space and it works quite well. Its not that expensive either, any lowe-end 16GB+ drive would work and they costs ~$50-100 here in the US.

Though either way you would want a 7200RPM HDD, no matter how fast your other parts are, with a slow 5X00RPM drive, it will appear "slower" for basic windows things.

Bulldozer is the new AMD enthusiast line/arch, and should come out fall-ish. Server chips should come out next month though, so a rough performance idea should be out then.
m
0
l
!