Sign in with
Your question

New rosewill modular PSU

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 8:27:26 PM

checking out newegg.com the other day I saw this item from their in-house brand, rosewill

Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$69 but after you use this weekend's code it's $55 + free shipping

what do you think? 40c bronze certified, its not 50c but not bad. 38a on the 12v is not great but plenty for any mid level system with a GTX 570 +. from the pics, the only hardwired cables are the 24pin and 4+4 EPS

More about : rosewill modular psu

a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 8:41:25 PM

In PSUs you tend to get what you pay for. I've never been impressed with Rosewill PSUs. I think the only Rosewill PSU review that I ever saw that was decent was on their top of the line PSU costing something like $270. I'd suggest Seasonic or PC Power and Cooling PSUs for quality and value.
September 9, 2011 8:47:10 PM

I suggest spending $15 more for the Antec BP550 instead.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 8:48:45 PM

obviously a seasonic or PC P&C (although they don't make modular PSU) would be a better product and would cost more. Rosewill did have one of their green units with a gold award from harsdware secrets and price wise, this unit would be going against PSU such as

corsair CX600
really a 500w unit with just 40a on its 12v rail, less efficiency, few if any jap caps, and non-modular

antec neo-eco 520w
40a on its 12v rail, better caps but less efficiency, also non-modular

my last 3 PSU have been PC P&C, corsair, and antec so its not like im waving the rosewill flag
a b ) Power supply
September 9, 2011 8:50:46 PM

IH8U said:
I suggest spending $15 more for the Antec BP550 instead.

actually they are closer in price then that, about $5-10 apart, and feature wise are rather similar.
September 9, 2011 11:31:17 PM

Any Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/Lepa, Silverstone/Seasonic unit would be a better buy over Rosewill (even OCZ has gotten good, since they bought PC P&C). I'd suggest going with what you can afford from a good PSU company. As the Rosewill may state 80+, 550W and you'll really get 78% or so, and 470W (on a good day).
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2011 2:01:08 AM

IH8U said:
Any Antec, Corsair, XFX, Enermax/Lepa, Silverstone/Seasonic unit would be a better buy over Rosewill (even OCZ has gotten good, since they bought PC P&C). I'd suggest going with what you can afford from a good PSU company. As the Rosewill may state 80+, 550W and you'll really get 78% or so, and 470W (on a good day).

the issue is not comparing the rosewill against units from antec, corsair, etc., that cost 2x what the rosewill is but rather what that units competes against. right now its just the antec BP 550 which is OK but not from one of their better OEMs and the ocz 500w mod, which is well reviewed. guessing or making up stats on what the rosewill will produce is stupid unless the unit has been professionally reviewed.
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2011 6:02:12 AM

IH8U said:

you do realise that the rosewill hive series are the exact same platform the ocz zs series?
and that their new mid level gold rated capstones will be on par with any seasonic x series?
a b ) Power supply
September 10, 2011 2:27:26 PM

doing some research, obsidian is correct with the hive series using the same sirfa platform as the OCZ ZS, which have been getting very good reviews

i would say for this price point, the hive series looks very promising
!