blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hi i just made a new build. i am having a problem with starting the computer.
when i started my computer it went up fine :) but it didnt give any monitor signal :( . so i thought the 8 pin connector near the cpu(i dont know what that is please also tell me plz) was a power cable for the onboard grpahics. so when i plugged it in the computer didnt start but when i unplugged it it worked, but still no signal. So here is my build plz help

HP 24X Multiformat DVD Writer 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model 1260i

SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

NZXT Guardian Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Case 921RB-BL

OCZ Technology ZX Series 850W Power Supply

CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Thank you.

G

The 8 pin connector near the CPU is the power for the CPU, that needs to be plugged in. Make sure you have another power cable (6 pin or 8 pin, im not sure what that card has) for the graphics card so that the dedicated card has power; the plug is on the side or back. As Rusting In Peace mentioned, make sure you have the video cable plugged into the dedicated card and not the motherboard graphics.

blizzard1337

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
So even if the graphics display (5770) driver is not downloaded i can still plug it in and get signal? Also when i plug power into the cpu power the power doesn't switch on. (i have 850 watt) i hear a click but when its not plugged in it starts up. So am i supposed to use the cable that came in with the power supply for the CPU or use the one that i think came with it.
Btw when i start i here 2 beeps i think one is from the mother board and one from the optical drive which has the mother board disc in....
I try what you guys said

TY

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
The driver you're talking about is for the operating system only. The card will display content on startup then when the OS starts it will use generic drivers to control the GPU. So in truth you can get away without ever installing GPU drivers however you'll want to as these drivers are far more performant and reliable than the generic OS ones.

I can't really figure out what you are doing with cables but, for me, just do whatever makes the machine start successfully. If that means not plugging everything in then so be it.

One beep from the motherboard is probably ok. You may want to check your motherboard manual. I don't think I've ever heard an optical drive make a beep, perhaps some clicking if it's been powered on and has a disc in the tray.