'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' - anyone else play this?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

Hey there fellow GBA fans.

Below is an email I have just now sent Jaleco regarding 'Sea Trader:
Rise of Taipan' which as I say below, I've had a wonderful time playing.
The reason I'm showing you guys the letter, is because writing it led me
to wonder how many others enjoyed 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' or even
know it exists (it's been very low profile).

If you haven't played it I recommend reading the following review
<http://www.gamespot.com/gba/strategy/seatraderriseoftaipan/review.html>
to decide if it's your sort of thing. If you do like it - why not tell
Jaleco like I have? It seems to me 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' has huge
potential that isn't fulfilled. I'm left unsatisfied (and this is the
only grouchy thing I have to say about it, so that's good) and wanting
more. Much more, but that's not to say it isn't fun as it is.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

To: support@jaleco.com (Chris Holtorf and the rest of the Sea Trader -
Rise of Taipan team care of)
Subject: Thanks and a question regarding 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan'
for the GBA.
From: jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:44:15 +1300

G'day.

I bought 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' for the Nintendo GBA a while back
(imported from the USA actually - cause I couldn't find a copy in New
Zealand! :-( ) and have throughly enjoyed playing it over the past few
months. It's a real time waster in the best way possible. The simple
trading and building your fortune is really easy to get into and great
fun.

But after another six hours this morning playing it I've come to the
realisation that - fun while it is - I want more. Much more. An expanded
storyline, plots, side adventures, an overall quest running throughout
the game while still keeping the simple, yet engaging trading aspect. So
while I'd love more depth to the game, I don't want to be overwhelmed
with a myriad of options and multiple meaningless steps like some games
do (but not Sea Trader).

So my question is - will there be a sequel for the GBA or another
handheld console (but please make it for the GBA or it's successor!
Please!)?

Thanks again for making such a fun game! :) I love my GBA SP and hope
you make many more fantastic games for it that I can enjoy as much.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> Hey there fellow GBA fans.
>
> Below is an email I have just now sent Jaleco regarding 'Sea Trader:
> Rise of Taipan' which as I say below, I've had a wonderful time playing.
> The reason I'm showing you guys the letter, is because writing it led me
> to wonder how many others enjoyed 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' or even
> know it exists (it's been very low profile).

> Thanks again for making such a fun game! :) I love my GBA SP and hope
> you make many more fantastic games for it that I can enjoy as much.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

Great email!
I haven't played that particular game but I think I will try and hunt a
copy down on your recommendation. I admire what you've done - I think
any game that people enjoy, particularly games that aren't so
mainstream, should be supported, and I bet the developers would be
chuffed to read that email.

K'dsh7 <k_e_v_i_n@the_born_image_dot._com> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > Hey there fellow GBA fans.
> >
> > Below is an email I have just now sent Jaleco regarding 'Sea Trader:
> > Rise of Taipan' which as I say below, I've had a wonderful time playing.
> > The reason I'm showing you guys the letter, is because writing it led me
> > to wonder how many others enjoyed 'Sea Trader: Rise of Taipan' or even
> > know it exists (it's been very low profile).
>

> > Thanks again for making such a fun game! :) I love my GBA SP and hope
> > you make many more fantastic games for it that I can enjoy as much.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet
>
> Great email!
> I haven't played that particular game but I think I will try and hunt a
> copy down on your recommendation. I admire what you've done - I think
> any game that people enjoy, particularly games that aren't so
> mainstream, should be supported, and I bet the developers would be
> chuffed to read that email.

I only hope it gets past the frontline support staff wonks and to the
ones who made such a promising (and unique for the GBA) game.

As to buying Sea Trader, I would definitely recommend reading a few
reviews cause it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I suppose. But if you
liked trading games for other platforms (especially old PC ones) it will
certainly devour a couple weeks (or far longer if you're a nut like me)
spare time at the least. And for the prices I've seen it going for of
late - IMHO that's well worth it.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

P.S. Would anyone else care to share their thoughts on any other
undervalued, niche market or low profile games that deserved better?
I've heard Hot Potato is quite good - anyone played that?
--
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe
is that it has never tried to contact us." - Calvin and Hobbes (Bill

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

In alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> had this to say:
> As to buying Sea Trader, I would definitely recommend reading a few
> reviews cause it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I suppose. But if you
> liked trading games for other platforms (especially old PC ones) it will
> certainly devour a couple weeks (or far longer if you're a nut like me)
> spare time at the least. And for the prices I've seen it going for of
> late - IMHO that's well worth it.

I'll second a recommendation for Sea Trader (but as the above poster
says, read some reviews first to see if it appeals to you). I thoroughly
enjoyed it. Terrific trading game, and there's nothing else like it for
the GBA. Great game!

--
amarriner
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"

alastair

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Aaron Marriner <amarriner@amarriner.homelinuxYOURPANTS.net> wrote in message news:<yarhd.349334$bp1.145409@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> In alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> had this to say:
> > As to buying Sea Trader, I would definitely recommend reading a few
> > reviews cause it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I suppose. But if you
> > liked trading games for other platforms (especially old PC ones) it will
> > certainly devour a couple weeks (or far longer if you're a nut like me)
> > spare time at the least. And for the prices I've seen it going for of
> > late - IMHO that's well worth it.
>
> I'll second a recommendation for Sea Trader (but as the above poster
> says, read some reviews first to see if it appeals to you). I thoroughly
> enjoyed it. Terrific trading game, and there's nothing else like it for
> the GBA. Great game!

Read the review, well, sort of scanned it. And found a copy on ebay.
Only £12 so I bought it.....
:eek:)

Alastair <ascarlett2@aol.com> wrote:

> Aaron Marriner <amarriner@amarriner.homelinuxYOURPANTS.net> wrote in
> message news:<yarhd.349334$bp1.145409@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> > In alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance Jamie Kahn Genet
> > <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> had this to say:
> > > As to buying Sea Trader, I would definitely recommend reading a few
> > > reviews cause it isn't everyone's cup of tea, I suppose. But if you
> > > liked trading games for other platforms (especially old PC ones) it will
> > > certainly devour a couple weeks (or far longer if you're a nut like me)
> > > spare time at the least. And for the prices I've seen it going for of
> > > late - IMHO that's well worth it.
> >
> > I'll second a recommendation for Sea Trader (but as the above poster
> > says, read some reviews first to see if it appeals to you). I thoroughly
> > enjoyed it. Terrific trading game, and there's nothing else like it for
> > the GBA. Great game!
>

> Read the review, well, sort of scanned it. And found a copy on ebay.
> Only £12 so I bought it.....
> :eek:)

That's not a bad price. I've seen it new & unopened in store reduced to
NZD$30 - 40 (side note: I actually picked up Duke Nukem Advance for the
criminally low price of NZD$19.95 earlier this year!). Have fun and
pester Jaleco for a sequel if you enjoy Sea Trader :)

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

alastair

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in message news:<1gmr0cy.1tqxg9gh4mih0N%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>...

> That's not a bad price. I've seen it new & unopened in store reduced to
> NZD$30 - 40 (side note: I actually picked up Duke Nukem Advance for the
> criminally low price of NZD$19.95 earlier this year!). Have fun and
> pester Jaleco for a sequel if you enjoy Sea Trader :)
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

If I like it, I might even pester Jaleco for a EU release!!
Cheers
Alastair

alastair

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

ascarlett2@aol.com (Alastair) wrote in message news:<21821ac8.0411050155.13c6da08@posting.google.com>...

> If I like it, I might even pester Jaleco for a EU release!!
> Cheers
> Alastair

It's OK actually. Have had a couple of hours play now.
Reminds me a little of DopeWars....
Glad I only paid £12 though.

Alastair

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

Alastair <ascarlett2@aol.com> wrote:

> ascarlett2@aol.com (Alastair) wrote in message
>
> > If I like it, I might even pester Jaleco for a EU release!!
> > Cheers
> > Alastair
>

> It's OK actually. Have had a couple of hours play now.
> Reminds me a little of DopeWars....
> Glad I only paid £12 though.
>
> Alastair

Yeah, I admit it would be a tough sell at full price (I think I paid
about NZD$50.00). It's frustrating to see such potential wasted. It's
like they stopped game design in early Alpha stages.

Still, it's a fun way to pass quite moments and doesn't have the danger
of dragging me into hours of play like Pokemon or Advance Wars (can this
really be a good thing?!?). A great game to fill a few spare minutes.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

alastair

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in message news:<1gn4u0i.15k2nhbi854ykN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>...

> Yeah, I admit it would be a tough sell at full price (I think I paid
> about NZD$50.00). It's frustrating to see such potential wasted. It's
> like they stopped game design in early Alpha stages.
>
> Still, it's a fun way to pass quite moments and doesn't have the danger
> of dragging me into hours of play like Pokemon or Advance Wars (can this
> really be a good thing?!?). A great game to fill a few spare minutes.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

A couple of questions Jamie:
How do I get access to more maps/charts i.e. more ports?

If I choose a new mate, do I lose the old one or can I build up to
have the whole crew?

Cheers
Alastair