Upgrading cpu,gpu,both, or new comp

Super3204

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
This is my current situation. I am a gamer and I want to play a game called Rift. However my computer is outdated and I get very bad framrates on it. They vary from 10 to 70 depending upon where i am. However, during combat, it averages about 25. This is on all of the lowest settings. These are my specs: e5200@ 2.8Ghz 4gb ram geforce gts 250 1gb video card. I have talked to some people and have received different opinions on what to do. If I wanted to spend about 200 bucks to get me by before I buy a whole new real computer, what would make Rift atleast playable. I was thinking for the gpu a new gtx460 1gb ddr5 for 150 to 200 dollars on newegg. I already have a 650 watt psu. For the cpu, perhaps a new core 2 quad. Rift is both cpu and gpu intensive. Inside the games benchmarks it said my gpu was holding me back more than the cpu. So if Im not going to get a new computer, would an overclocked gtx460 help me out to get by? Also, i was told that despite having the lga socket 775 slot for a core 2 quad that it could be rejected by the manufacturers bios. The system is a gateway. At this point i do not want to by a new computer just yet. Thanks

Hi,

if you're not willing to invest in a new computer, I think the GTX 460 is a nice upgrade on your system. You can then move it over to your new platform once you buy a new computer. I wouldn't invest on a new CPU on a "dead" socket like yours.

Super3204

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Im probably going to go with the 6870. To assure it works i want to go over some things. I have a pci express 1.1 slot but the card is backwards compatible. I have a 650 watt psu. I have 2 6 pin connectors. I also am assuming that my mobo can take 1gb of ddr5 instead of 1gb ddr3. It is also a big card about 10 inches long correct? Also, is it safe to use catalyst control center auto tune feature or would it be better if I just overclocked manually if I did. Is it safe to have a gpu fan at 100% all the time other than shortening its life?