Sign in with
Your question

2500k temp

Last response: in CPUs
September 9, 2011 11:26:29 PM

Hello,

I built my first build recently and I'm trying to debate whether my core temps are too high or not. I'm also debating on whether my thermal paste application was wrong.

My build:
Asus P8P67 Pro v3.1
G.Skill Sniper Ram 1866
Mugen 3 CPU Cooler
Sapphire 6950 Toxic
Corsair HX650
Cooler Master 932 Advanced Full Tower.

I'm just running stock speeds right now and my core temps averages about 40. These readings are from CORETEMPS. Is this too high with the cpu cooler I have? I have not ran prime95 yet either. Ambient temperature is about 90 degrees.

My thermal application involved using the rubber glove method to spread paste all around the cpu in a thin layer and then putting two small lines down the middle and pressing the cpu cooler on it. Is this too much paste and limiting the cooling abilities of my cpu cooler?

More about : 2500k temp

a c 100 à CPUs
September 10, 2011 4:39:43 AM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

40 degs C idling is just 7 degs C higher than ambient 33 degs C (90 degs F) - this is considered good. It is normal to have about 10 degs higher than ambient (idling).

You can try using RealTemp 3.40 (3.60 had some problems).
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2011 3:33:17 PM

Your ambient temperature is very high. It makes a big difference on hardware temperatures. However, 40C on idle is a perfectly fine temperature.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2011 4:46:37 AM

I would say my core temps were as low as 32 and as high as 52 on a hot day like that. It's about 70F degrees ambient temp right now and my core temps are about 30-36C degrees. Any problems with my thermal application? Thanks for the responses btw! Learning all this computer stuff takes a lot of research...its never ending!
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
September 12, 2011 12:52:43 PM

For 70 degs F ambient, 30 to 36 degs C CPU temp is quite normal and means that the thermal compound and the CPU/heatsink assembly are correct! Nothing to be concerned regarding this.
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:19:03 PM

IHoP said:
Hello,

I built my first build recently and I'm trying to debate whether my core temps are too high or not. I'm also debating on whether my thermal paste application was wrong.

My build:
Asus P8P67 Pro v3.1
G.Skill Sniper Ram 1866
Mugen 3 CPU Cooler
Sapphire 6950 Toxic
Corsair HX650
Cooler Master 932 Advanced Full Tower.

I'm just running stock speeds right now and my core temps averages about 40. These readings are from CORETEMPS. Is this too high with the cpu cooler I have? I have not ran prime95 yet either. Ambient temperature is about 90 degrees.

My thermal application involved using the rubber glove method to spread paste all around the cpu in a thin layer and then putting two small lines down the middle and pressing the cpu cooler on it. Is this too much paste and limiting the cooling abilities of my cpu cooler?

First off,your cpu is running far too hot. ;)  So check that your cpu cooler is firmly tightened down. ;)  If it is not,then you retighten it & if you wish reapply your thermal paste. ;)  As for your application,maybe you have put too much on. ;)  What I do is to spead a small amount onto the middle of the cpu & with finger evenly move it around,but not too close to the edges of the cpu. Again on the cpu cooler its self,just spread a tiny amount just around the middle & by doing this when you tighten the fan up to the cpu. This will squeeze the thermal paste in all directions. Take notice though,do not put too much thermal paste on or it may work its self over the cpu edges & make your life harder when it comes to cleaning the cpu. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 12, 2011 5:16:51 PM

I don't think you should spread it with your finger, you'll leave grease stains.
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:52:14 AM

I'll just spread a thin layer on the cpu with a card or a rubber glove. Should i add another thin layer on the cooler as well? Would that be too much? I'll be purchasing another fan for the cpu cooler in the next couple days but where do I connect that fan to since the pull fan is already connected to the cpu fan plug?

Thanks for the responses guys...definitely helps a lot for being a first time builder!
m
l
a c 100 à CPUs
September 19, 2011 3:58:20 AM

IHoP said:
I'll just spread a thin layer on the cpu with a card or a rubber glove. Should i add another thin layer on the cooler as well? Would that be too much? I'll be purchasing another fan for the cpu cooler in the next couple days but where do I connect that fan to since the pull fan is already connected to the cpu fan plug?

Thanks for the responses guys...definitely helps a lot for being a first time builder!

Wrap your finger in a plastic sandwich bag and spread the thermal compound evenly and thin. Both on the CPU as well as on the heatsink base. Thin layer. Then assemble by tightening the fastening screws in a cross (zig zag) pattern. Medium tight, not too tight.
m
l
!