Sign in with
Your question

New Build Won't Boot

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2011 6:11:53 AM

I posted this elsewhere and have had no response. I'm hoping that the response here will be more helpful.

I'm a first-time builder having some issues with my first from-scratch build. My specs:

Asrock H61M-vs motherboard
Corsair CX430 PSU
Pentium G840 Processor
GTX 460
4 GB crucial ram

My problem: When I first set up my system, I was not aware that I needed to connect the 4-pin CPU power supply, and I started my system without it. Naturally, I had no signal to my monitor, but all of the fans (CPU heat sink and case fan) ran without issue. When I read the troubleshooting thread (here - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...), I realized that I had not connected the 4-pin power supply for the cpu. After doing so, all of my fans stopped turning when I powered on the PC. When I unplug the 4-pin and restart, the fans resume turning.

I have the system speaker powered and have never heard any beeps at any time.

I have tried every permutation imaginable: 2 sticks of RAM, each stick in each slot, no RAM, I've removed the GPU and tried each permutation again, unplugged the optical and hard drives, everything I can think of. Nothing has changed: I can't boot at all, and when I plug the PSU into the 4-pin CPU power supply, the fans stop functioning.

Everything that I've read indicates this is likely a hardware problem with the PSU or motherboard, but I wanted second opinions before I started shelling out more cash for parts. Thanks for your feedback.

More about : build boot

June 15, 2011 6:27:28 AM

As a cautionary tale to anyone who may have had the same problem that I was having just a couple of minutes ago, the 8-pin power supply cable on this psu splits into twin 4-pin cables that each have a "hook" at the top. This "hook" (I apologize for not knowing the proper nomenclature) must be properly aligned with a corresponding divot in the motherboard.

As it turns out, my 4-pin power supply was inverted--it should have been facing down, when it was in fact facing up. I tried turning it 180 degrees, and--voila--the fans started spinning and the BIOS screen appeared.

After eight hours of cursing God and man, I am feeling a bit better. God bless any neophyte who goes through what I just experienced.
m
l
June 15, 2011 9:44:44 PM

Thanks for updating us, I have created some posts in your other thread, but i'm glad you have solved the problem.
m
l
June 15, 2011 9:46:22 PM

Vogon79 has solved the problem by discovering that his power connector was plugged in upside down. This confusion was a result of only needing 4 pins on his 8 pin connector.
m
l
!