Extra 4 pin power input on Maximus V Formula - Mandatory?

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I saw a video of the Maximus V Gene and it has an 8 pin power input like all normal boards. However, it also has an extra 4-pin power input next to it. The guy said it was for the person who wants to really push the board to its limits. Then he said something about power loss when its cold or something. What I want to know, is this 4 pin power input mandatory to be plugged in?

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
The additional 4pin connector isn't necessary unless you're planning on pushing the board. As for the PSU, from your other thread I gather you haven't purchased one yet... so you might as well look into one with additional 4pin to keep your options open.

In your other thread you also mentioned the cables and where they go. Don't worry about, they will all fall into place nicely.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012

Ah yes, I am unsure of a PSU to get definitely. I just like the ax850 because it has black cables and such. Were you one of the people recommending seasonic x series?

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I wasn't... but Seasonic was on the tip of my tongue with regards to the extra 4-pin connectors. That said, I'm not sure which Corsair/Seasonic PSUs have an additional 4pin connector for the CPU.

iraserei

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Maybe I will wait until Computex to gain more information on the product. I am planning on overclocking an i5 3570k to 4.5ghz and corsair 8gb vengeance to 1866mhz. I don't think I am pushing the board, therefore I don't believe I would even need the extra 4 pin input. Do you agree?