Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3: Windows 7 wont boot up after BIOS Update

Jim Axel

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Hi everyone,

I have a problem starting up windows 7 after a BIOS update on my Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 motherboard. When i boot up my computer it will go through the BIOS and end up on the Windows 7 splash screen which just freeze and then it restart the computer attempting to repair windows (which i also tried, but it didn't work). It also pops up with a blue window with some text on just after the splash screen freezes, i cannot see what it says because it disapears so fast but i guess it some sort of failure message.

I used the Gigabyte software callled @BIOS and updated the latest BIOS Update which I downloaded on their website under my motherboards model. I don't know what i did wrong, cause it seems like the BIOS got updated successfully.

I also found someone with a similar problem here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/255235-12-windows-boot-successful-bios-flash, but I'm not sure the solution to reinstall windows will work for me too since i have another motherboard and the problem could be something else? I didn't make a backup (what an idiot I am), though I don't have anything on my harddisk that I can't live without, but it would be nice if there was a solution where I could avoid reinstalling windows and deleting all my files.

On the other hand, I'm getting a new SSD tomorrow and was thinking maybe if the solution above would work with my problem too I could install windows on my new SSD and then connect my old HDD and copy the files over to my SSD? Would there be any problems in that? Even if the HDD can't boot I should still be able to collect data from it right?

This will probably be the last time I update my BIOS! I hope there is anyone out there who can calm me down and help me out :cry:

mubin

Distinguished
Hi, Did you see @bios show bios update successful? I think its better to flash bios with usb pen-drive. Though i flash two gigabyte bios with two method and both board working perfectly after bios flashing.

Remove your mobo battery for a min to reset bios. But first try load optimize default from bios. Its good after bios updating.

After installing os on ssd, you can transfer file from old hdd even if you are not boothing from it. But format the boot partition from old hdd. Or there will be two windows for boot.