GA-X58A-UD7 CPU cooling problems

kaz-akh-stan

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
hi all,

Need a bit of advice.

I've got the GA-X58A-UD7 rev.2 and Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600Mhz which is quite large.
I'm hoping to upgrade to 18GB RAM and upgrade my CPU cooler.
Only issue is that the CPU fits so closely to the RAM that it'll have to be a small cooler in order to allow use of the first RAM slot.
the stock cooler is about 103x108mm and fits well but isn't exceptionally efficient.
If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, as would any information from anyone who has a similar set up.

Cheers in advance. :hello:

My rig:
MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 rev.2
CPU: Intel i7 930
RAM: Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600Mhz(soon to upgrade to 18GB)
Graphics: 2 SLI GTX460 1GB
HDD: 4x 1TB Toshiba 3.5" 7200rpm
SSD: 40GB ARAM
Optical: 2x 22x generic
generic wifi and tv tuners
Thermaltake Element V chasis
1000w corsair modular PSU
Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

G

I dont have any suggestions on a cooler necessarily if youre looking for a small one but i do have a comment.

I currently have the Gigabyte UD5-Z68, and Im assuming the RAM is just as close. I have found that the best RAM to use if youre going to be getting a large CPU cooler is Kingston HyperX. The preinstalled heatsink on the RAM is just small enough to be able to fit the large coolers. I have a FrioOCK and the intake fan rests on the top of the RAM.

There is no question RAM available from other, perhaps more gaming calibre vendors that would be the same height, but just a comment. From my experience the bigger CPU cooler will pay off more than RAM with larger heatsinks.

I wish you luck in finding a suitable cooler none-the-less.