Is it bad to wrap wires/cables around in coils?

syclonix

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Is it bad if I wrap my case cables/wires around the parts of the metal case? I feel stupid asking this, but will that create a magnetic current if I do it?

I'm using the Cooler Master HAF 912 (pictured below). See the vertical holes in the case where the case wires are coming out from? I used the lower two holes to wrap my cables around.

DSC06400.JPG

Shouldnt cause a problem, what cables are you planning to wrap around the case parts?

For the most part the case isnt magnetic enough and there isnt nearly enough current in the wires to cause any notable field. Inductors and coils use special ferrite alloys which much higher magnetism than basic iron or steel has so dont worry about the magnetic field, that wont be an issue. If anything it may behave similarly to a ferrite bead and help to cut down on noise in the lines by a slight bit.

syclonix

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for the responses. I actually decided that I didn't like the look of the cable wrapped around. Plus my HAF 912 has plenty of cable room behind the motherboard so I just tucked all the cables back there. ..used some electric tape and everything is pretty neat now.