Intel i5 2500K temperatures while gaming

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Asus
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
September 10, 2011 6:21:19 AM

Hi
I just bought a new ASUS ROG Maximus IV Gene - Z and an Intel i5 2500K.
I am curious about temperatures.
I first checked it in the BIOS and it was around 65 degrees celcius.
I got a little worried.... But when i checked it from windows, it was idling at 35-40 degrees.
I am using a stock cooler.
Also i dont have a nice chassis. I have a very old one and i usually keep it open from both the sides. In short my system is air cooled. :-)

But what worried me was i overclocked my CPU from ASUS's utility that asked me two options...'Fast' or 'Extreme'. I chose fast. It said it had overclocked my CPU by 30%.
Anyway, after that i played Crysis 2 and as soon as i exited the game after about 40 mins, i saw a popup from one of ASUS's utilities showing my temperature to be 81 degrees celcius. This scared the *** out of me.

I am not sure if there was any thermal paste pre applied either on my processor or on the heat sink.

Can anyone suggest me what do i do.?

More about : intel 2500k temperatures gaming

September 10, 2011 7:20:34 AM

First I suggest you buy a good case with good airflow. The Cool Master HAF series is pretty cheap and provides what you need. Second invest in an aftermarket cooler for around 30 bucks you can get Hyper 222+ and that works just aswell as Low end water cooling. As for the Thermal paste I suggest you check. and Apply more if needed.
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:21:29 AM

65C in the BIOS seems a little high...

If you are using the stock Intel cooler that came with your i5, there is thermal paste pre-applied to it - so you're OK there. HOWEVER, I would never recommend overclocking with the stock cooler. They are designed to cool the CPU at stock speeds. In most cases they stock cooler has trouble keeping up with sustained heavy loads. While you have the stock cooler on, do not overclock and only do so when you upgrade your heatsink.
m
l
Related resources
September 10, 2011 7:33:13 AM

Trixie5 said:
First I suggest you buy a good case with good airflow. The Cool Master HAF series is pretty cheap and provides what you need. Second invest in an aftermarket cooler for around 30 bucks you can get Hyper 222+ and that works just aswell as Low end water cooling. As for the Thermal paste I suggest you check. and Apply more if needed.

Hey Thanks Trixie5. The thing is i never invested in Coolers and stuff. I rather buy a better hardware. But it seems i will have to now.
As for the Chassis. Dont you think my chasis is better than any i would buy. It's air cooled since i leave it open all the time.
I did check and i did find a thermal paste on the heat sink. It was oblivious when i first installed it.
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:35:11 AM

mxsix said:
65C in the BIOS seems a little high...

If you are using the stock Intel cooler that came with your i5, there is thermal paste pre-applied to it - so you're OK there. HOWEVER, I would never recommend overclocking with the stock cooler. They are designed to cool the CPU at stock speeds. In most cases they stock cooler has trouble keeping up with sustained heavy loads. While you have the stock cooler on, do not overclock and only do so when you upgrade your heatsink.

Hey... you disappoint me... I know i wont be able to overclock my hardware to if full potential, but cant i overclock it even a little bit??
i would buy a cooler, but not now.
?????
m
l
September 10, 2011 7:37:49 AM

anujvir1 said:
Hey Thanks Trixie5. The thing is i never invested in Coolers and stuff. I rather buy a better hardware. But it seems i will have to now.
As for the Chassis. Dont you think my chasis is better than any i would buy. It's air cooled since i leave it open all the time.
I did check and i did find a thermal paste on the heat sink. It was oblivious when i first installed it.
Leaving your case open is better then leaving it closed in your case. But its not all about airflowm you need preasure inside the case to promote optimal cooling. Not to mention leaving your case open like that just allows dust to get in and harm your new componets. But I'd say if you invested 75 bucks you could be running where you want to be at. To Overclock that is, if you dont OC you should be fine the way u r.
m
l
September 10, 2011 10:14:27 AM

Update : I have figured the problem. The bundled Heatsink foes not comply with the overclocking needs. I had mentioned earlier that i had overclocked my CPU.
The boards i have been using in the past override overclocking if there is an improper shutdown. I was expecting the same here. It seems that nowadays you don't loose overclocking.
So i reset the BIOS to its default values and run the Torture test on Prime 95. The temperatures seem stabe at 65 max.
But, i guess I'll need to buy a Heatsink anyway.
m
l
a c 85 à CPUs
September 10, 2011 11:03:39 AM

anujvir1 said:
Update : I have figured the problem. The bundled Heatsink foes not comply with the overclocking needs. I had mentioned earlier that i had overclocked my CPU.
The boards i have been using in the past override overclocking if there is an improper shutdown. I was expecting the same here. It seems that nowadays you don't loose overclocking.
So i reset the BIOS to its default values and run the Torture test on Prime 95. The temperatures seem stabe at 65 max.
But, i guess I'll need to buy a Heatsink anyway.

check frostytech, they have good reviews of coolers taking noise vs cooling into account
m
l
!