2600k major system instability at minor overclock

maximumpanda

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
hey guys,

i recently built my dream machine and have run into a couple major issues with dealing with high end parts, have come across a lot of issues that come with using really high end gear. i've pretty much sorted through everything except for when i try and overclock my CPU, the whole system gets extremely unstable when i move from 3.4-3.6 ghz. the system will boot up an run windows, but as soon as i start unigine heaven dx11 the graphics cards crash and never recover. same happens when i open world of warcraft or BFbc2.

i've read everywhere that the 2600k sandybridge can be easily oc'd to 4.5 with minimal problems, but im really not seeing it.

guide: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1033200&mpage=1

setup:
intel i7 2600k sandybridge (water cooled corsair h60)
evga p67 FTW
3x evga 580 gtx (3gb card)
mushkin redline 2133 (16gb)
silverstone 1500w psu

i've checked system temps and everything is fine, so i dont think its an overheating issue. but im kinda new to overclocking so im sure there is a very crucial piece that i have forgotten to do.

(before anyone asks yes i raised the voltage)

maximumpanda

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
i did exactly what that guide said as i am running with the exact same mobo/cpu.

ram has been a whole other issue and i still feel like something is wrong with it. but i have spent HOURS with the mushkin support team and made sure that everything is exactly right

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Your Motherboard Disk may have a program that you can over clock the system with. If you do have such a program (you can probably download what you need from the manufacturer's site) set the system back to default then let the program do its stuff. I ran the one that came with mine and my CPU is hitting 4.5 GHZ.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Its always better to manually overclock the system.
"one button" overclocks may work, but they always over compensate in voltages for stability.
For example:
one button overclock cpu voltage for 4.5ghz = 1.40V
manual overclock cpu voltage for 4.5ghz = 1.29V

That is a big difference, and the temps with be lower by 10c too

maximumpanda

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
i think i found the issue. it seems my graphics drivers were completely corrupt by the time i got to overclocking and the stress was just killing the drivers. reinstalled them and ow everything is running perfect at 4.0. gona be slowly ocing it more and seeing where it loses stability. i was using the bios. wont touch one button solutions since last time i did a year ago and it somehow destroyed $300 of solidstate hard drives :/