Sign in with
Your question

Silly question about RAM, but I'm new...

Last response: in Memory
May 30, 2012 6:09:49 PM

I haven't built a computer before, but am going to try. One of my big worries is potential issues with RAM, specifically if I get 2x4gb if they will fit under a Hyper 212 Evo cooler. If they don't fit in slot 1 (is that what you call it?), can I just move them both to slots 2 and 4? Will that work fine or is there a downside to using those two slows instead of 1 and 3?

Thanks. Sorry about the noobie question.

More about : silly question ram

May 30, 2012 8:46:34 PM

Hi,
It depends on what type of motherboard you have, what is supported slots for just two memory sticks.

On my build Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe CPU Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
I am using Corsair Vengeance LowProfile 1600MHz [CL9] 9-9-9-24 1,5V 2x4GB CML8GX3M2A1600C9 with XMP activated in BIOS.

Height of 1.03" (26.25mm)
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...

If it is an Intel CPU of the second generation (Sandy Bridge) or third generation (Ivy Bridge) it's important to use 1.5V memory according to the Intel specs. of the CPU.

But first use Corsairs memory finder to find out exactly what type of memory that is guaranteed by Corsair to work with that particular motherboard model.
http://www.corsair.com/en/learn_n_explore/

Almost all memory vendors has a memory configurator of some sort that is a good advice to use, since the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) from the manufacturer of the motherboard will not have all the memory's on the market on their QVL.

Best Regards, from Sweden
m
l
a c 108 } Memory
May 30, 2012 9:26:07 PM

Freebird37 said:
I haven't built a computer before, but am going to try. One of my big worries is potential issues with RAM, specifically if I get 2x4gb if they will fit under a Hyper 212 Evo cooler. If they don't fit in slot 1 (is that what you call it?), can I just move them both to slots 2 and 4? Will that work fine or is there a downside to using those two slows instead of 1 and 3?

Thanks. Sorry about the noobie question.

Not to worry.

1) The 1.5v ram you likely need(we don't know the rest of your parts) does not need fancy heat spreaders. Buy ram with no heat spreaders, or low profile heat spreaders, and you will have no problem. G.skil aries, or Corsair low profile are two.

2) Current motherboards can usually ram sticks in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. You need to read the mobo manual to verify which slots need to be populated first.

3) The cm hiper212 is not a deep cooler anyway. You could mount the fan on the opposite side from the ram, pulling air through it instad of the conventional way of pushing air through it.

4) It is also possible to just slip the fan up a bit higher, so it clears any ram sticks.
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2012 10:13:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here is my current planned build:

My core build:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mother Board - BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA or ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (advice on to choose?)
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600 or CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB Low Profile (advice on to choose?)
Corsair Silver HX750
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
Cooler Master HAF 932

I think both RAM choices are 1.5V, but I'm not sure. Why does is 1.5V important? With my two memory choices could I do slot 2 & 4, or do they have to be slot 1 and 3?

Thanks again!
m
l
a b } Memory
May 30, 2012 11:52:58 PM

If you haven't bought the G.Skill Ripjaws yet, buy something of higher quality, like Samsung.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 31, 2012 12:58:53 AM

bryanl said:
If you haven't bought the G.Skill Ripjaws yet, buy something of higher quality, like Samsung.

Samsung doesn't market retail ram in the states (that I know of).
m
l
May 31, 2012 7:18:30 AM

Freebird37 said:
Thanks for the replies. Here is my current planned build:

My core build:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mother Board - BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA or ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (advice on to choose?)
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600 or CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB Low Profile (advice on to choose?)
Corsair Silver HX750
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
Cooler Master HAF 932

I think both RAM choices are 1.5V, but I'm not sure. Why does is 1.5V important? With my two memory choices could I do slot 2 & 4, or do they have to be slot 1 and 3?

Thanks again!

Hi,

The Intel second generation (Sandy Bridge) and third generation (Ivy bridge) CPU-series is designed for and has a specification that says 1,5V memory.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-029913.ht...
Quote:
1.5 volts, plus or minus 5%. Anything more than this voltage can damage the processor or significantly reduce the processor life span.

According to your motherboard manual (page 20) http://europe.asrock.com/downloadsite/manual/Z77%20Extr...
The memory sticks can be installed in the following manner:

Quote:
1. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.
2. If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
in the DDR3 DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to activate
Dual Channel Memory Technology.
3. If a pair of memory modules is NOT installed in the same Dual
Channel, for example, installing a pair of memory modules in
DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2, it is unable to activate Dual Channel
Memory Technology.
4. It is not allowed to install a DDR or DDR2 memory module into
DDR3 slot; otherwise, this motherboard and DIMM may be damaged.
5. Some DDR3 1GB double-sided DIMMs with 16 chips may not work
on this motherboard. It is not recommended to install them on this
motherboard.
6. For optimal compatibility and stability while overclocking memory
frequency, it is recommended to install one memory module on
DDR3_B2 slot or two memory modules on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
B2 slots.

Note: From the CPU view; the memory slots starts with DDR3_A1, DDR3_A2, DDR3_B1 and DDR3_B2
Page 13 in the manual.

Here is a list from Corsair that I have looked up for you: Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Scroll down in the list and look for memory that start with part no. CML for low profile memory.

For example from that list; these 1,5V Low profile memory which will be compatible according to Corsair:
CML16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4 x 4GB) 9-9-9 24 Vengeance LP Blue
CML4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 9-9-92-4 Vengeance Black
CML4GX3M2A1600C9B 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 9-9-9-24 Vengeance LP Blue
CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) 9-9-92-4 Vengeance Black
CML8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB Kit (4 x 2GB) 9-9-9-24 Vengeance LP Blue

Best Regards, from Sweden :) 

m
l
a c 146 } Memory
May 31, 2012 12:26:14 PM

Freebird37 said:
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again!

Hi there,

I agree with ^ geofelt 100%.

Get -> 8GB or 16GB @ 1.5V @ 1600MHz with XMP profile : )

I recommend CORSAIR Vengeance 99% of the time, quality RAM and low profile with XMP profile. And if u will get an aftermarket CPU cooler, low profile is the worry free remedy with perfect fit with any large cooler.
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Vengeance Low Profile heat spreaders have a reduced height of 1.03" (26.25mm). They're designed for high-performance systems with extra-large CPU coolers, small form factor system builds, or any other space-constrained application where standard Vengeance memory might not fit.
m
l
May 31, 2012 6:51:10 PM

Thank you for all the detailed information and kind help everyone! Tom's Hardware forum users are the best!
m
l
!