Sign in with
Your question

"Pick a Card, any Card": Need some help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2011 5:38:09 AM

I bought a new HP computer that had the "Sandy Bridge" chipset issue (Basically, the chipset/motherboard had a defect, and HP is replacing my new computer with a NEW new computer with the improved motherboard).

Here's my system:
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-570t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 quad-core processor with Turbo-Boost [up to 3.8GHz, 8MB cache]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5450 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• No speakers
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Wireless-N LAN card
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, audio
• No TV Tuner
• Beats Audio -- integrated studio quality sound
• HP USB keyboard and optical mouse

Note: I presently have an HD 5450 video card.
Also note: this is a 300W system.
My monitor is an LED with 1920x1080 resolution.
I have no intention of overclocking.

I had been told I could upgrade to a 460W PSU for $57. And someone had said I could upgrade to an HD 5770 for only $10. I was planning to go for that.

But now I'm being told I CAN'T upgrade to the 460W PSU. And here are the video cards they say I can upgrade to (subject to change):

1GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6450 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
1GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
2GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6570 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter]
2GB DDR3 ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]
1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
3GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 [DVI, HDMI, VGA, includes 350W power supply]

The only actual prices for an upgrade I got were these:
1 GB HD 5570 = additional $21.75 US
2 GB HD 5570 = additional $76.13 US

I have been told that Nvidia isn't so good for photoshop, which is a major priority for me. But I'm not sure whether the Nvidia-Photoshop thing is true.

I'm not sure how good/bad the HD 5450 I presently have is, or how much of an improvement I would get with these upgrade options. I also don't know if it wouldn't make more sense to hold off on an upgrade and buy the components I want later on (I've never opened up a computer before, but would be willing to replace components if the job wasn't beyond my abilities).

What do you think???

More about : pick card card

a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 6:12:05 AM

Nvidia video cards are actually recommended over their AMD counterparts when it comes to Adobe applications.. And am sure photoshop is still an Adobe product.. Thus its recommended you get a Nvidia video card.. Having said that, since you already have a video card, i'll suggest you stick with it.. No need to upgrade unless it is malfunctioning..
m
l
April 3, 2011 4:47:55 AM

Emperus,

I'll have to look into the Nvidia/Photoshop thing. It was something to do with Direct X and I came across the issue as someone was describing the Photoshop product crashing and the error message blaming the Nvidia card.

Obviously, I need to do some further investigating.

I've got to be more clear: I wouldn't just be buying a different card. Rather, because of a defect in the chipset, HP will be replacing my computer with a brand new one. And I have the option to choose a different video card than the HD 5450 that is the "base" card for the computer.

What I am wondering is if I should upgrade to a better card (with the list of cards the customer service reps provided), or whether I'm just as good sticking with what I've got.

If I were to hold off, I would plan on waiting at least a couple of years until after my warranty had expired. And then replace both the card and the PSU.
m
l
!