Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Nvidia support for 3x30" displays? GTX590 only?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • Displays
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 2, 2011 6:06:19 AM

Does anyone know which Nvidia graphics cards can handle three 30" displays?

As far as I can see, only the new GTX590 can handle them. Outputs can be DVI or MiniDisplay ports or any other digital outputs.

As a side not, I find it strange that I see no MiniDisply ports for Nvidia, but AMD/ATI has plenty of them (with AMD Eyefinity) - MiniDP is great because they are so small, hense lots of room to fit plenty of them on the card - many that can handle up to 6 30" monitors, links below:

http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/TECHNOLOGIES/AMD-EYEFINI...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view, my company mostly uses Nvidia exclusively, not AMD, so I really need an Nvidia solution

Maybe it is possible to mix and match digital outputs - i see some cards have 2 DVI plus 1 HDMI. I'll make a separate thread for this one.

Thanks

More about : nvidia support 3x30 displays gtx590

a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 8:33:14 AM

As far as I know, it's just the 590. However, you can easily run two cards for much less than the cost of a 590, which will give you the ability to run up to 4 monitors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 9:00:00 AM

Nvidia only supports two monitors per GPU, but the GTX 590 is a dual-GPU card.

DisplayPort is an AMD initiative, one of the few that caught on. Some card manufacturers add DisplayPort to Nvidia cards, but that does not expand the monitor support beyond two per GPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 223 U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 10:29:05 AM

Two GTX570s in SLI should be similar in speed to the GTX590, but cost less and support 4 monitors.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 10:42:39 AM

Quote:
570 hit the memory ceiling at 1600p. Now way they can compete with the 590 at higher resolutions

What makes you think the OP wants to game? My bet would be distinctly to the contrary, given the mentions of a company. Honestly, even a pair of low end GPUs will do just fine driving 3 30 inchers at some tasks.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 223 U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 10:54:06 AM

Seeing as its business related I still stand by the idea of SLIGTX570s. He could possibly even get away with something lower end but the programs they run might disagree. Quadros might be a good idea, but it would be more expensive.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 109 U Graphics card
April 2, 2011 3:53:34 PM

A single 5670 with Display Port could support all three monitors. If you really must have nVidia then you will need two seperate cards or a dual GPU card. Of course an nVidia solution is more expensive which leaves less money for your raise but hey it's up to you. If you need 3D surround this page can tell you more

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dv-system-requirements-su...

If you don't need 3D surround, but just want to run 3 monitors, then you can use any two video cards with two outputs like two GTS 430s and you don't need to run them in SLI.
m
l
April 10, 2011 5:30:39 AM

Not sure if this helps. I've been told I need a minimum of 1 GB of memory card in order to support my LINUX Applications.

What nVidia cards fit this minimum requirement (Cost could be an issue) so I can rund my three 30" displays

I now have only one Quadro FX 5600 card.

Thanks for your patience with this novice hardware guy. I'm just a user.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 6:19:03 AM

lawrenpx said:
Not sure if this helps. I've been told I need a minimum of 1 GB of memory card in order to support my LINUX Applications.

What nVidia cards fit this minimum requirement (Cost could be an issue) so I can rund my three 30" displays

I now have only one Quadro FX 5600 card.

Thanks for your patience with this novice hardware guy. I'm just a user.
If you need Nvidia, you need two cards. That's it. You could use two old 9500GT's, but your three monitors need two cards because Nvidia supports two displays per GPU.

Since you're running 2560x1600 displays, you also need dual-link. I'm fairly certain both the ports on the 9500GT have dual-link, but you might want to check some spec sheets to be sure.

Finally, they don't have to be in SLI to support spanning, so you can mix cards.

m
l
July 6, 2011 8:25:19 AM

I just got a new workstation with Nvidia Quatro 6000.

I've read in this forum that I can mix Nvidia Quatro 6000 and ATI to get my third 30" monitor working. Isn't it easier and less trouble, e.g. setting things up on my workstation, to stick with Nvidia?

Does running a lower priced ATI or Nvidia graphic card interfer with the high end power of the Nvidia Quatro 6000? I'm not sure if I can convince my company into buying another Quatro 6000, costing around $4000.

In either case, regardless if I can use a less expensive card to get the third display working, are there any particular Nvidia and ATI cards you could recommend? They must have dual-link, as you say.

thanks
m
l