Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are my cores too hot?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 15, 2011 5:43:20 PM

You can see my full specs by clicking on my avatar. Key parts are Core i5 2.66 GHz and Asus P7C55D Deluxe.

I tried to build a quiet machine, agressively using the Asus Q-fan controls. While the core temp reported by SpeedFan normally hovers in the upper 40's (Centigrade), they run up to 60 sometimes and hit 64 until I cleaned all my filters and fans.

Is 60 going to kill my cores? Do I need to make my machine (shudder) louder?

More about : cores hot

Best solution

June 15, 2011 6:01:54 PM

Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock CPU cooler? If you're using a stock cooler, 60C under load sounds about right. 40C is totally fine.

I believe that 100C is the shutoff point for an intel chip but don't quote me on that. If you're still worried you can get a decent aftermarket heatsink for 30 bucks. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is an excellent option.

Here's a link for confirmation: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305790-28-temp

Edit: Added link
June 15, 2011 6:04:35 PM

60c is good. I'd be worried once you get into the 80-90s if you don't overclock.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 15, 2011 6:33:11 PM

steven0724 said:
Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the stock CPU cooler? If you're using a stock cooler, 60C under load sounds about right. 40C is totally fine.

I believe that 100C is the shutoff point for an intel chip but don't quote me on that. If you're still worried you can get a decent aftermarket heatsink for 30 bucks. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is an excellent option.

Here's a link for confirmation: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305790-28-temp

Edit: Added link

I'm running a Zalman CNPS10X Flex. I wouldn't have the nerve to slow down the fans with a stock cooler.

But what you both say is that I've got headroom above 60 degrees. I saw another post from someone who got up to 76 running Prime95, so I guess I'll stop worrying. I could have just read the mfg specs, but I was interested in real-world experience.

The thermal compound is Arctic Silver, and I checked it within the last year to see that it was still smooshy, not crumbly. Great technical terms, yes?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b Ĉ ASUS
June 15, 2011 6:33:32 PM

Best answer selected by WyomingKnott.
m
l
!